Raggedy Edge

Guest Raidne

Guest Raidne

That's actually all really helpful to hear thanks! Never make it to Baltimore as I am carless (ask Ini) but you should come to DC! Just an FYI, 3am is not a rare end time for the DC BwB so I think you should still come next weekend. It's not even unlikely that someone would put you up if you don't want to drive back, just ask around. We're a friendly crew.

And I'll take you up on that Irish car bomb, but it stops there. Last time I hung out with CH he was doing "bombs around the world." Won't be going there again.

Yeah, it's... not very PC. And fairly unfortunate; however, unlike beer pong/Beirut, this one's kind of institutionalized. They tend to be referred to more as carbombs now, leaving off the Irish... which doesn't help at all, as the point of the dmoniker is that all the ingredients are Irish. I guess the more PC term is Guinness bomb (most drinks where you drop a shot in a beer and chug it are called "bombs" or "depth charges" or some such), but nobody says that.

Guest Raidne

You know what? I'm fucking retarded and never made the connection, so standard was this drink during my formative years. No offense to the mentally disabled. You make a good point Terra.

At least I don't shower with jäger bombs.

Ever had a flaming Dr. Pepper? Its a shot of Amaretto with 151 (lit on fire) then dropped into a beer for chugging - and it tastes just like Dr. Pepper! The 'bomb' conversation made me think of it.

And 'Irish Car Bomb' - I've made the connection and yea its tasteless so that I usually just say 'Car Bomb' on the rare occasions that I order them. But that is the ubiquitous name for them. I'd be a little taken aback if someone seriously took offense in the US. I'm not the one who named it that, y'know? Probably not a good idea to order one in Ireland or the UK though.

Unsurprisingly, this is not a concoction that we have over here. I never even heard of it till this thread. <_<

If you come have a drink with me Monday, I will buy you one if you want. :cheers:

Unsurprisingly, this is not a concoction that we have over here. I never even heard of it till this thread. <_<

Actually, the man I know who can drink them the fastest (literally, in under 2 seconds) is himself English. And my friends in Nottingham, UK, are the ones who first introduced me to the drink! I have never drunk one with an Irishman ... but Englishmen, Welshmen, and Scotsmen, yes.

Having both English and Irish heritage, myself, I certainly can see how the name would be offensive, of course. And, yes, usually here in the PC States, we just call them "car bombs". They are good, however. They kinda taste like a chocolate malted milkshake, but not as sweet. I don't much like Guinness (I am more of a Smithwick's, Harp, or Innis & Gunn man, myself), but the car bombs are rather nice.

Ever had a flaming Dr. Pepper? Its a shot of Amaretto with 151 (lit on fire) then dropped into a beer for chugging - and it tastes just like Dr. Pepper! The 'bomb' conversation made me think of it.

I thought the same thing. Someone introduced the Flaming Dr Pepper into my social group in college and we behaved exactly as you might expect.

Meant to say this earlier, but Tobin I'm really glad you've been feeling better.

Thanks Raids, :grouphug: I know you'll be feeling better too.

I go into it with the knowledge that my emotions are on a circle:

I might slide down the one side of the loop and feel pretty terrible, but it won't last - the circle always swings upward again and I feel better.

(once my fricken kitchen is done and I can fully unpack into my new place, I'm sure I'll feel awesome - and post pics finally)

I would love to make it to a BWB meet, but you guys are all so far away - FL is the ass end of Geekdom it seems...

You mean your therapist is honestly suggesting you should spend time each week with your ex? Or am I just reading things wrong?

In that case, no, just no, absolutely not in a million years. Unless navel gazing is something of a favourite past time, meeting up with exes is pouring salt in wounds that want to heal.

Best thing to do is 1. get busy and 2. let time do its job.

The drinks sound like another really good idea. I'd recommend picking up some nice guy(s) as well for some entertainment, but I don't know if you feel morally obliged not to. And with "pick up" I don't mean going out for coffee and a chat either.

I'm good friends with mine too, but it still hurts every time I walk away from him.

sometimes i wonder if it hurts worse because we were such good friends - it makes the stuff that caused problems seem even dumber.

I'm good friends with mine too, but it still hurts every time I walk away from him.

sometimes i wonder if it hurts worse because we were such good friends - it makes the stuff that caused problems seem even dumber.

Totally agree. I think we should have never gotten together but 'as friends' we rocked, this really sucks.

Which is why I don't pick up the phone when he calls, I've explained that it is too painful for me to talk to him right now but I think he thinks we are going to get back together (as we have in the past.) I doubt I will ever feel comfortable being just friends.

It helps that I am EXTREMELY pissed at him though. :thumbsup:

Raidne, good luck with this. I think it will take longer than you want it to; you'll survive and thrive anyway.

I don't miss the Things' father, but the situation is very different.

One of the worst nights I ever had (or best, depending on how you look at things) was during freshman year in college when I had about 6 of these in the course of the evening. Back when I used to drink, blacking out was pretty rare but I blacked out like a MFer that night. I remember snippets though, mostly of myself getting intimate with our dormroom toilet bowl.

I do remember them being wonderfully delicious. But I never tried them again after that night.

:cheers: For sure!

er... sorry for continuing the threadjack, Raids. You can come too, if you can make it to SLC?

sorry for more derail but since pms are down, you're going to be in SLC, Min? Holy cow when when when? I would love to get together with you and Nichole and anyone else (is there anyone else?) in the area!!

edit: read more carefully and you said "Monday." If Min is available to meet and you don't mind more company, will you let me know? cchristenson AT utah DOT gov.

snow "private message" leo

PS--I have all faith in you, Raidne :grouphug:

Archived