[TV SPOILERS] Best Moments In Season One

CryFenril

Which scenes stood out in your mind as the very best of the entire season?

Was it "The things I do for love"? The funeral pyre? The music? Summer's sigh when he jumped onto Bran's bed? The look of the weirwoods? Bronn's grin?

We've all picked apart the actors and the things we liked/disliked - now's a chance to think back on the whole shebang and say which scenes really stuck in our hearts the most, for whatever reason.

It can be the technical aspects of the scene (lighting, camera angle, etc), or the actor nailing a line just so (heh), or even just the way it made you feel. Whatever the cause, share what you think made the season special for you!

:thumbsup:

the kids, the program was always going to live or die on their performances and arya, bran and joffrey nailed it big time (sansa not so much).

everyone who i know who hasn't read the books has raved about 'the things i do for love' and 'neds dead baby, neds dead'.

Robert with Jaime and Barristan, sharing war stories.

Joffrey's first throne room audience.

Dany, Jorah, and the poisoner.

Tyrion arriving at his father's camp, and especially "You wouldn't know him".

and many more! :)

Dany's scene after the birth of the dragons. I don't remember exactly how it was described in the book, but I always imagined this cheesy moment where she steps out from an explosion of fire suddenly with small reptiles attached to her breasts/upper body. While the whole thing about her "Khalasar" sleeping until way after dawn and then waking up at the same time to see the fires burnt out and Dany emerging from the ashes required a lot of suspension of disbelief, it was handled way, way better than I expected.

More or less every scene with Tyrion.

Arya's first dancing lesson. The way the scene was delivered delivered a lot of emotional punch, really beyond what it did in the book because they had Ned observe the lesson and we heard Ned thinking of a less than peaceful near future for him and possibly for his girls.

Ned's beheading.

Scenes without PoV characters were mostly good, though some were pretty ordinary.

For me, my favorite moments were the ones that were scenes that were practically identical to how they occurred in the book. Certain non-invented scenes felt a little rushed--Cat meeting Littlefinger, the Tournament, Jon's first training with the Night's watch--but the ones that had the room to play out were really great.

--Ned's confrontation with Joffrey in the throne room at the end of episode 7--I loved the way it was shot, there was a ton of tension even though I knew what was going to happen

--Ned's Death--another great job done by the director, liked the added touch of him seeing Arya on Baelor's statue

--Tyrion's confession at the Eyrie--His "crimes" were expanded on more in the book in a hilarious way, and I really enjoyed how he tricked Lysa into granting him trial by combat and I thought the New Moon door was an improvement

--Joffrey showing Sansa Ned's head--Condensed a little from the book, but very powerful scene with great acting from the two kids

--Arya training with Syrio--Liked the addition of Ned watching and then hearing in the clashing of steel in his head

-The opening scene. Gave me chills and made it sink in that GoT was finally happening. Bookwalkers rejoice!

-Harry Lloyd's Viserys in the moments leading up to his coronation

-Bronn, Bronn, and more Bronn

-Small moments: Ned and the girls, Jon saying good-bye to Arya

What I love about the adaptation are the scenes that don't forward the plot any, but add a lot of characterization. Usually between two people, I loved most of them (save a lot of the sexposition and Ros). The scene between Jory and Jaime, Tywin and Jaime, Varys and Littlefinger, Joffrey and Cersei, etc.

I also love that almost all of the minor characters got their due (with exception of the Hound and Ser Rodrik, but, both are back next season, so I expect more characterization for them). We got to know Doreah a lot better in the series than we did the books. We got to know Jory a little bit more (before he died), we saw how Pycelle plays the game in the season finale, we got ample Bronn (and loved all of it), I actually kinda felt bad for Viserys when he died, and even Maester Luwin, Septa Mordane, and Osha got a lot to do. I can't wait to see how the series handles the likes of Dolorous Edd, Roose Bolton, Jaqen H'gar, and Blackfish (if he makes it into the series, that is).

My favorite one of such scenes? For me, it would have to be the one between Jaime and Jory. It was the first time I really recognized exactly how good of a job the writers were doing. Jaime and Jory really did talk like fellow soldiers - before they realized that they were enemies. It seemlessly working in exposition about the Greyjoy Rebellion and Thoros of Myr, and was chalkful of foreshadowing. But most of all, it showed that they really had a grip on the characters. Yeah, some of the characters have been changed from the the books to the show, but these writers have a really good grasp on the show versions of the characters, even minor ones like Jory.

So many, but the ones that come to mind first...

-"A crown for king!" :stunned:

-"You don't fight with honor!"

"No. He did."

:smoking:

-"I'm good at killing fat boys. I like killing fat boys." :fencing:

-"Blood of my blood..." :bowdown:

1. Arya's first dancing lesson. This scene was a joy to behold. I'm glad they gave it so much screen time.

2. Syrio's last stand. Just badass and cool and sad, and so perfectly acted.

3. Jeor Mormont's speech. EPIC.

4. Ned's speech directed at Gregor Clegane and Tywin Lannister. I was like "FUCK YEAH NED!"

5. Maester Aemon's speech to Jon. "I will not tell you to stay or go. You must make that choice yourself, and live with it for the rest of your days. As I have." So good.

Archived