[BOOK SPOILERS] Season 2 final scene?

Anomandaris86

For the final scene for season 1, it was always obvious it should be the dragons. It also happened to be the last scene in the book, making the choice even easier. It was a very powerful way to end the book, and it worked out very well on the show. But I don't think future books are going to provide such an easy choice for a season closer. The final scene in book 2 is Bran leaving the ruins of Winterfell. Do you think that will be it in the show, or will they go for something different?

This is how I remember book 2 ending for the other characters:

Jon: killing Qhorin and joining the wildlings

Catelyn: releasing Jaime

King's Landing: Tywin consolidates power, Joffrey arranges a marriage with Margaery, Tyrion awakens wounded and in a shitty situation, and Sansa is reminded that Joffrey's marriage doesn't free her

Dany: setting sail for Ghiscar

Arya: killing a guard and leaving Harrenhall

Theon: captured by the Bolton Bastard, by this time he would probably be in the Dreadfort

Davos: last chapter is during the Blackwater, at the end of season 2 he would still be recovering

There's also a few non-dramatized events which could also be shown as well:

The Fist of the First Men (it seems to occur more or less concurently with Jon's events)

Robb. Can't recall exactly what was going on. By this point he had already conquered the Crag and married Jeyne Westerling, right? Perhaps the wedding would be his final scene.

Stannis retreating to Dragonstone?

So out of all of those, what do you think would work well as a final scene? One possibility would be to give the revelation that the wildlings are moving toward the Wall, and then cut to the massive army as a closer. Perhaps another could be something involving Mellisandre? I don't know. Nothing springs to mind like it would have for season 1.

For season 3, the revelation of unCat worked pretty well. If the book is split into two seasons the Red Wedding would most likely be the closer, although that would be brutal. I can see the Hound riding off with Arya slung over his saddle, and then fade to black. Book 4? Lol. No idea.

Anyone have any ideas on what they'll do?

Hmm...there's not much they could do that would rival the birth of the dragons in the first season, but that's okay. It would be grim, but I would be happy if they ended it with Arya's scene: her slitting the guard's throat and escaping into the rain with the other kids.

You left out the one that actually ends Clash of Kings - Bran/Jojen/Meera/Hodor splitting up with Rickon/Osha to head north. Which I actually like as an ending, to tell the truth.

I also think book 4's most natural ending would be Jaime throwing Cersei's letter into the fire with the snow starting to fall.

Although regarding that season, they'll probably mash it up with ADwD because of the contiguous timelines, so that might not be the best idea any more. But as a standalone season, I like that ending for book 4.

Might as well answer book 3 too, haha. I don't know if I like Stoneheart ending the season, it's shocking and all but by that time, I think viewers will be more drawn to the stuff at the Wall because a ton of shit has gone down by then. Maybe Jon's election as Lord Commander would be a good spot.

IMO, the best way to end season two is something that happens partway through book 3:

Stannis taking leeches (fat from Edric Storm's blood) and throwing them into the fire:

• Balon Greyjoy, the usurper
  • Joffrey Baratheon, the usurper

a long pause (for dramatic effect)
  • Robb Stark, the usurper

What a way to blow away people's minds about season 3.

I really like the Bran ending. Its one of my favourite moments in the book. A bittersweet scene. They have survived but Winterfell has fallen. But...(and this is the fun part)...Bran is confident that Winterfell will rise again.

I think they will show the Fist of the First Men in S2. Given the build up in the last episode of S1, they need to show something resulting from their campaign north. But I don't think it will be the last scene. I think the last scene should revolve around one of the main characters (a Stark, Jon or Dany i.e. Ice and Fire).

Arya escaping doesn't seem a big enough moment. Ending with Dany sailing somewhere might just cause frustration (since she isn't going to Westeros). I'm sure they'll move the story beyond Cat releasing Jaime, so that is not an option. Jon meeting the wildings (or Mance) might be a candidate but it doesn't strike me in the same way as Bran's scene. Maybe too negative.

I don't know if I like Stoneheart ending the season, it's shocking and all but by that time, I think viewers will be more drawn to the stuff at the Wall because a ton of shit has gone down by then.

I would be in favour of a Stoneheart ending. I think people will be delighted to finally think that the Starks are getting long awaited justice.

JayDubya's idea is very interesting but not sure i'd like the pacing. Smashed at KL, Stannis is next second throwing leeches around.

Cat releases Jaime Lannister

Dany and her khalasar set sail

Arya escapes Harrenhal

Jon slays the Halfhand and joins the wildlings

Winterfell is sacked while Bran and co cower in the crypts

These would all make pretty good final scenes in my opinion, but nothing stands out.

The Others attacking the First of the First Men is a great idea, that would make a superb final scene and a pretty cool cliffhanger. Might piss some people off, though.

Robb, at this point in the books, is probably a the Crag. I don't think anything there would make a good final scene though.

The prologue for ASOS would be a cool ending with the three horn blasts signifying the white walkers attacking.

Yes, I like this. I think they should show the scene at Winterfell, with Bran and Rickon splitting up to go separate ways. Then, they should fade to pitch black, and we hear a horn blow. The scene slowly fades in with Sam struggling to sit up, while the second horn blows. Grenn comes into his tent with a torch,"Sam, two blasts! Wildlings!"

Then the third note blows, and all the color drains from Sam's face. Grenn asks, "Three? What do three blasts mean?"

Sam whispers in a shaky voice,"White Walkers..." CREDITS

I think they will show the Fist of the First Men in S2. Given the build up in the last episode of S1, they need to show something resulting from their campaign north.

This. But I think it should be the last scene. We'll hear the 3 blasts of the horn, see flashes of "things" in the dark... aaaand roll credits!

IMO episode 10 "final scenes" (fist of the first men will be the last):

Fist of the First Men.

Tyrion meeting Tywin while injured and Tywin saying something horrible (from his first aSoS chapter).

Jon killing Halfhand.

Bran escaping with Jojen/Meera/Hodor.

Dany being kissed by Jorah on the ship to Astapor (from her first aSoS chapter).

Arya killing the guard and running.

Davos - either doesn't appear or his first scene in aSoS, stranded on an island.

Cat/Robb - fighting about her releasing Jaime.

Jaime - he and Brienne evade the Tully force.

Yes, I like this. I think they should show the scene at Winterfell, with Bran and Rickon splitting up to go separate ways. Then, they should fade to pitch black, and we hear a horn blow. The scene slowly fades in with Sam struggling to sit up, while the second horn blows. Grenn comes into his tent with a torch,"Sam, two blasts! Wildlings!"

Then the third note blows, and all the color drains from Sam's face. Grenn asks, "Three? What do three blasts mean?"

I had other ideas, but I read that and literally got goosebumps. My corworkers are looking at me funny. So, this gets my vote.

IMO, the best way to end season two is something that happens partway through book 3:

Stannis taking leeches (fat from Edric Storm's blood) and throwing them into the fire:

I was going to say this, actually. Either that, or it should happen early in season 3 to set the mood for that season (given that they will likely have to cut it off at the purple wedding - unless they can produce more than 10 episodes a year - this would be very fitting because the deaths of the various claimants would then be the main theme for the season). But it fits in season 2 as well since it shows that Stannis is not out of the picture yet. One problem could be that people will just shrug it off, because it comes from somebody who just lost a very important battle, and it would look like Stannis is just a bitter man who gives grand promises that he can't fulfill.

:agree:

This is what I was thinking.

And for a Tyrion/Tywin scene, where Tywin says that he can't prove that Tyrion isn't of his blood, but that there is no way he is getting the Lannister Lordship.

GH

You win. I, too, got goosebumps imagining this as the final scene of Season 2. I think now I'll almost be disappointed if they end it any other way.

Man that ending is already making me excited for season 3 :laugh:

+1

Does anyone realize that the ending of ACOK is the gloomiest of all the books? The bad guys are winning and are consolidating power, so I don't know how this will affect viewership.

However this is a very good suggestion.

only thing i'll add is that in the books the third horn blast seemed to go on forever, it makes it even more bonechilling.

Archived