Sent to Westeros

Chirios

Yeah, but the early light bulbs were about giving off prolonged light without smoke, which it could do. However you swing it, you are not going to get street lights, but you could get a decent desk lamp going.

Maybe but I don't think I could read by that thing. There's also another problem I forgot about, you either need to vacuum out the bulb or fill it with an inert gas. The inert gas is a no go, there's just no way to find any, but vacuum sealing might be possible.

I'm trying to figure out how to make millions from bringing a bunch of antique, foot-pedal powered Singer sewing machines.

I would need a mold and filing tools to make more needles

the whole part specifications for the rest of the machine so replacement parts could be manufactured, if necessary

(I'm assuming, that in this society, with it's hugely complicated armor, it would be possible to produce these parts, especially if there were extensive diagrams to go with them)

I would need to hire a really good spinster to make very fine silk thread.

But just the little bit of increased speed over hand sewing could make you rich, and possibly pave the way for further technological enhancements.

As for a place to set up shop, I would suggest the Citadel.

This is an easy one. I fill the card with various good which would likely be of value to me, or possibly to sell. Seeds, good steel, etc. I would also pack several large guns. You know, the kind that will drop a charging knight... or two.

I then travel as fast as my little cart and horse can carry me to Dorne or the Marches. They have (so far) withstood the worst of it.

Yeah, I am a chicken.

Tiger

Gosh I'm surprised no one has suggested Tarth as a place to hang out for five years. A beautiful climate and not the site of any battles or invasions make it seem like a pretty survivable locale. Also it feels a little like cheating to bring modern stuff, but I think I'd load up with penicillin and other antibiotics. In the long run it seems like they would be more useful than weaponry (also I know a lot more about using bows than firearms). Also I would be sure to bring this poster or shirt to cover just about everything else.

I had thought about bringing medications as well, but in the end they are hard to transport, and spoil quickly. That and there is no telling whether penicillin or the other antibiotics would work against the Westerosian antigens.

I didn't mention it, but I would bring all of my other Dr.'s equipment. Stethoscope, sphygmometer, suture kits, sterile bandages, etc. And if Q can guarantee me that they would work I guess I could try and double vacuum pack the medications. Can skip the aspirin, willow bark will serve there. Given time I might even be able to culture and grow Penicillin, but there is no natural replacement for Azithromycin, or Levafloxacin. Lets not forget a tootbrush and tons of multivitamin pills. Once I thought on it a modern bow and arrow or crossbow with replacement parts might be better than a rifle. Really you might as well ask what you would want to have with you on a desert island.

If "new tech" isn't allows I would bring as many authentic damascus forged swords as 6k would buy. And sell them for security.

Tarth is a nice option.

MinotaurWarrior: speak for yourself... yes, we're used to easy life. So? It's not that hard to drop your standards of living. It's far more of a reach to read all those "I'd get GUNS and MREs and gadgets and prance around being the great avenger". Good luck... Also, way 6000$ is going to buy food for five years, so being prepared to grow your own is a must. Unless you think you'll somehow survive as a trader with very limited supply, no contacts, and no knowledge of the culture. I'm betting a hell lot more on someone who has the basic farming skills and isn't afraid to live without five year's supply of toilet paper, than someone who just grabs guns and ammo.

I definitely agree with you about all the people saying they'd just grab some guns and MRE's, and I'm fairly certain I agree with you otherwise. I was addressing people who thought they could go from being a citizen of a modern nation, to an independent farmer (or the like). It's fairly easy to drop your standards of living. It's damn near impossible to learn all the skills you'd need to become a farmer in a medieval society without ending up dead in the first year.

I think that your best bet would be to find a patron. Someone who can arrange to have new clothes made, have you fed safely, and take care of any ailments you acquire. I am most certainly not advocating grabbing a bunch of guns, or trying to become a trader when you don't even know the relative values of any goods in the asoiaf world.

I would bring a cartload of MREs and go find a nearly inaccessible cave. This being Westeros, I would still manage to die some horribly ironic death. Of all the caves, I had to pick the only one with a dragon in it. Damn.

Archived