Board Game

Hakiko

Lannister jumps from being the worst player in 5 players to being overpowered in the 4 player game.

So the first mod is to remove the Iron Islands from the game (keep the ocean, just say the islands are gone)

Upgraded Oldtown to a stronghold and add a crown, to match some of the bolstering Tyrel needs and gets in the 6 player expansion.

Switched Kingswood from a crown to a barrel to match the change in the 6 player expansion and provide Baratheon with some supply. Baratheon needs some supply challenges to challengein it in 5 player but this change works fine in 4 player.

One thing we thought about doing is moving the sea boundary at Highgarden a bit more north to match the 6 player board ocean boundaries, so Highgarden can no longer be accessed by that long ocean to the North. Haven't tried that yet.

Those are the rules, now here's a copy from some 4 player stategy conclusions after 7 or 8 4 player games we've played so far. Of course your games might go differently;

Be hard on Lannister. They still have access to 5 easy muster locations. They can set up their little untouchable navy of 6 ships in their oceans, and then strike easily at Highgarden or the North for a quick win..

So Lannister must be contained. However, Baratheon also has a lot of neutral territory available just like in 5 player, so they are also dangerous. Tyrell and Stark should have some sort of discussions as they are the weaker powers, although Tyrell has been beefed up a bit with our modifications. This might prompt Lannister and Baratheon to make a deal, but that's ok because they are too far away to help each other, but close enough to hurt each other in the middle. This might be one of those rare times where Stark splitting his fleet on both sides might be a good idea, if he can ensure support from Tyrell's fleet.

We've tried playing with the other factions as Neutrels when we didn't have others, it didn't work out all that well. Tyrell needs something to stop them from just overruning the south, and if either Dorne or Baratheon are neutral that ain't going to happen, the same with Greyjoy.

Well, the game itself sets who goes neutral when there are less players. Greyjoy falls out first, then Tyrell. With the ACoC expansion, I guess Martell would fall out even before them, if it's even set on the board.

But I wanted to ask how do you handle neutral armies? We have them just sit where they are put in the start, and in case of battle pull a house card randomly, as it's required in case of conflict between Great Houses. So, it's very much of a gamble to attack neutral Great Houses, as one might land on Euron or Mace. :P

Well, the game itself sets who goes neutral when there are less players. Greyjoy falls out first, then Tyrell. With the ACoC expansion, I guess Martell would fall out even before them, if it's even set on the board.

But I wanted to ask how do you handle neutral armies? We have them just sit where they are put in the start, and in case of battle pull a house card randomly, as it's required in case of conflict between Great Houses. So, it's very much of a gamble to attack neutral Great Houses, as one might land on Euron or Mace. :P

We played a test game this weekend. First mistake was we made lannisters neutral. Greyjoys got stacked fast. Biggest problem was actually wiping out units. Need to play several more rounds.

So if I want this, do I have to buy all 3 instalments separately, or do they come together in the ASOS Expansion?

They are all sold separately. I got all three but really only need AGOT and ACOK expansion. ACOK gives you the Martells and Siege Engines. The ASOS expansion has a riverlands tactical map and extra house cards.

• 2 weeks later...
ACOK is only worth it if you can *regularly* get 6 players. If you can only get 4, get AGOT and SOS to use SOS.

I don't have ACOK and we always cry for port rules when we play. :P

And I think fortifications might also be interesting add-on.

I don't have ACOK and we always cry for port rules when we play. :P

And I think fortifications might also be interesting add-on.

Well you could buy it. Or you could use port rules and something for port markers. As for forts we barely use them, they usually aren't worth missing consolidating the power especially in areas with a crown(at least in our sessions). And if you really want to use them just use some lego bits. So the only other reason to get the game is to get the new cards which aren't that great, well they are OK but they have so many text rules that it will cause some initial confusion and blunders.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm seriously considering getting this game from my parents for Christmas. I'm familiar with Settlers of Catan, Risk and other such games and I really enjoy them.

Is the game worth getting?

I've only played the game a few times and never with the full amount f players. If you are familiar with other games then learning this shouldnt be too hard. The tough part is actually getting 5 players around a table together.

• 5 weeks later...

anyone interested in participating in a play-by-email (pbem) game of the Clash of Kings expansion? we need another 3 players. leave a message if interested.

It will be a 'relaxed' version, as some of us have families and busy schedules, but most times would be about a 1-day turnaround between actions. This could drift out to 2 or 3 days at times, but rest assured that the game will continue, provided the commitment from everyone is there.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't played the SoS expansion (my pals and I have GoT and CoK) but I've found the 3 player Game of Thrones stand alone pretty lame.

And to whoever said Lannister is the worst faction in the game, I've won every time (5 or 6) I've played as them. There's more options with them than any other team and if you can successfully reverse the Greyjoy rush, it's not hard to push them into submission. Make a Reach/Searoad border deal with the Tyrells and you're good for the rest of the game.

Sorry to revive a dead thread...

My friends and I have been crushing AGoT so we just ordered ACoK (the 6 player varient, cant remember if thats the one or not). Anyways, some of the new suggested rules look cool (ie ports) but others look kinda lame (ie draw 3 house cards, have opponent randomly choose 1 for combat & flip 3 westeros cards at begining). How have they worked out for you guys?

Finally tracked down a copy of the board game. Can't wait to get home from work and check it out

I have both the games but have never played them. None of the pieces have even been punched out of the card stock. I just seems so complicated and I dont have anyone to try it out with. My wife love the series but the games are not her thing. :(

• 1 month later...
I have both the games but have never played them. None of the pieces have even been punched out of the card stock. I just seems so complicated and I dont have anyone to try it out with. My wife love the series but the games are not her thing. :(

I assure you that while there are some nuances and details, the game rules only seem complicated. Start with the basic set. The rulebook is divided in three parts. It took three days for me to read the rules. A day for each part. Try reading like this too. If you take it on all at once, the amount of information you recieve is overwhelming.

Then convince at least two friends to play it before you forget what you've read. :)

Take the accounting to yourself, explain the basics and go. By the third or fourth round, eveybody should be like fish in the water if they have been paying attention. Someone who re-reads the rules might find a detail you've missed, but then you can just account with that and play more correctly next time.

Oh, and three-player game doesn't give the complete experience. Two ganging up against one sucks and thus everybody is on their own. The more players you have the more interesting alliances (and betrayals) you get. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
And to whoever said Lannister is the worst faction in the game, I've won every time (5 or 6) I've played as them. There's more options with them than any other team and if you can successfully reverse the Greyjoy rush, it's not hard to push them into submission. Make a Reach/Searoad border deal with the Tyrells and you're good for the rest of the game.

Sorry to revive a dead thread...

What, you mean there are the most options to be crushed by the other players? =P

Which version of the game are you playing? In the 6 player game they have a better chance, but still need perfect play. In the 5 player, you must use the recommended star switching of Greyjoy with Tyrell, or they are absolutely destroyed right away. But since that's pretty much a given, lets start with that. Even then, if Lannister cannot convince someone to help him, a competent Greyjoy will always have the advantage. God forbid Tyrel or Stark attacks him (but that shouldn't happen as Greyjoy is the greater threat) As said, if you can reverse Greyjoy's attack, you can crush Greyjoy, whoever controls those sea areas will win the regional conflict, especially if you don't have ports, and Greyjoy will always have that initial advantage.

As you said, I always try to get Tyrell's help against Greyjoy. Stark would be nice, but he cannot safely commit enough to that area to be of much use.

What, you mean there are the most options to be crushed by the other players? =P

Which version of the game are you playing? In the 6 player game they have a better chance, but still need perfect play. In the 5 player, you must use the recommended star switching of Greyjoy with Tyrell, or they are absolutely destroyed right away. But since that's pretty much a given, lets start with that. Even then, if Lannister cannot convince someone to help him, a competent Greyjoy will always have the advantage. God forbid Tyrel or Stark attacks him (but that shouldn't happen as Greyjoy is the greater threat) As said, if you can reverse Greyjoy's attack, you can crush Greyjoy, whoever controls those sea areas will win the regional conflict, especially if you don't have ports, and Greyjoy will always have that initial advantage.

As you said, I always try to get Tyrell's help against Greyjoy. Stark would be nice, but he cannot safely commit enough to that area to be of much use.

I didn't keep tally of what I won on, but I've won with six and five players. Tyrells and Lannisters are easily the most fun to play because there's a challenge. If Greyjoy is one turn behind Starks can get the neck easy and if they develop their navy well enough they can protect themselves from someone exploiting their only vulnerability: an amphibious assault. Stannis' Baratheons are the one team that often has the chance to decide the game by buying every track. They get unmatchable power due to King's Landing and surrounding areas. They've also got access to several cities (KL, Harrenhall, Whatever Point, Storm's End, and even the Eyrie if you get a few ships north quick enough) and a plethora of diplomatic opportunities. Like the rest of the southern powers, their strategy will change a bit with six players, but Highgarden will usually keep the Martells off your back.

Archived