Create your Westerosi house

The Isle of Faces

Name: House Shadelight

Words: Where the Shade Grow

Founder: Elrik Shadelight

Current Lord: Lord Eaan Shadelight

Sigil: A Silouetted Dark Warrior inside a white moon on a black shield

Sword: Shade's Son

The Shadelights are the decendants of a hedge knight named Elrik Shadelight who was granted his knighthood by a second son of the Lord of the Vale for valour on the field of battle and saving his life a century before the conquest. Ever since the Shadelights have served the Arryns faithfully, even during Robert's Rebellion when the surrounding Houses declared for the Targaryens, the Shadelights sided with Jon Arryn. One, Harrold Shadelight, the firstborn son of Lord Shadelight gave his life to stop an assasination attempt upon Jon Arryn.

Unique amongst the Houses of the Vale, bastards born of the Shadelights are not given the surname 'Stone' but rather 'Shadow'.

This is inspired by the fantasy novel I'm currently writing

Name: House Avalon

Sigil:an orchard of pale pink apple tree under snow

Motto:We do not yield

Unofficial words: Know thy ennemy

Seat: Llewelly (main city and caste), Brighttown

Faith: the Great Mother, a faith inherited from the Old Gods rather than the Seventh's Mother

Sworn to: autonomy and freedom since Aegon the Conquerer

History:The Avalon house is known mainly because they're obeying an unique legislation, in which women rule and hold the economical and politic power. The house itself is composed of priestesses rulers, the head of the House being ruling the island in all aspects.

When Aegon conquered Westeros, his warrior sister Visenya flew to Llewelly to fight the current Lady, Lady Matilda, but the strenght of mind and the skills in fighting and ruling of the Lady impressed her so much that she granted the Avalons autonomy and the right to maintain the old traditions.

Since the inhabitants of the island don't have much contacts with the rest of the world, apart from trading in some ports specially established for it, many rumors are circulating about them. It is also rumored that the family has some kind of magical powers, like an army of soldier's ghosts who can slay but not be slayed, hence the act they were never attacked since "Visenya's visit".

When an Avalon lady reach adulthood, a great tourney takes place in order to make her meet and choose a husband. Since the challenges are numerous (including some testing the mental and spiritual abilities of candidates), it i open for all voluteers, noble or not; but at the end the young lady seldom chooses a noble lord, the real goal of the tourney being an evaluation of other Houses, knights and players of the Game. On two occasions only did a Tourney Maiden marry a noble ( once a Stark and once a Martell), but they weren't the heir of the House. A legen says that one son married a forgotten daughter of Visenya and Aegon, but the very existence of the daughter is disputed.

Because of their faith and traditions, the Avalons send no man, from the House or from their subjects, to the Night Watch; but, being extremely wealthy and prosperous, they contribuate to it by sending food and any good useful in everyday life.

The heiress may not be the eldest: she is "chosen by the Goddess", by entering this world with open eyes and showing precocious faith and smartness. They show great solidarity, since no civil war and no family feud was ever noted

Finally, since the matrilinear filiation is the law, the notion of bastard is unknown.

House Pinkflowers

Sigil: Prancing Doe surrounded by Roses on a Pink Field

Founder: Kyle Pinkflowers (Renly Baratheon & Loras Tyrell's bastard love child)

Words: "Ours is the Fairy"

Unnoficial Words: "Pink and Proud", "Arouse me not", "A Gay Man Holds no Secrets", "Boned and Ready", "We Definitely Sew"

House Sword: A Warhammer named the Backdoor Basher, named for its use by one of Robert Baratheon's Knights at the Siege of King's Landing, where it was used to smash the rear-gate of the Red Keep.

Overlord: House Tyrell

Seat: The Queerie

Religion: The Great Poofter

House: Astley

Head: Lord Rickard

Words: We Never Give Up

Sigil: Dancing fool silhouetted upon a field of sky blue

Location: Westerlands, but the Astleys are known to unexpectedly appear across the kingdom.

Castle: Baritone

House Weapon: Rickroller, double-headed Valyrian steel battle-axe

Sworn to: House Lannister

Name: House Lunarsteel

Sigil: A sword about to pierce the moon.

Motto: Bright as Night.

House Lord: Rickon Lunarsteel

Castle: The Crater

House Sword: Moon's Heart, forged from the center of a moon millions of years ago. It is a greatsword similar to Dawn. It is lighter and sharper than Valyrian Steel

Sworn to: House Baratheon

Wow..this is a really cool question. I can't believe you could all could just come up with your houses that fast. I would seriously need like, days to make up mine. What's wrong with me?! Lol huh.gif

Not just you! I'm not that creative, but what a cool post! I find it fascinating what others have come up with!

• 3 months later...

Name: House Blackwood

Sigil: A black scorpion on red field

Motto: We stand vigil

Unofficial Motto: A sword in war, a dagger in peace, both will bring death all the same.

House Weapon: None

Family Tree:

Lorran Blackwood (62)- Lord of Blackwood,

{Lillian Blackwood}- Lady Blackwood- killed in a storm off the Blazewater bay

{Jon Blackwood}- (Previous) Heir to Blackwood- killed in a storm off the Blazewater bay

Talbard Blackwood (22)- Current Heir to Blackwood

Zoran Blackwood (19)- son of Lorran and Lillian Blackwood

Millia Blackwood (24) Daughter of Lorran and Lillian Blackwood

Lorian Blackwood (56)- Younder brother to Lorran Blackwood

Nella Blackwood (33)- Lorian Blackwood's wife

Lorran Blackwood(12)- Lorian Blackwood's trueborn son, named after the lord of Blackwood

Layton Rivers (18)- Lorian Blackwood's bastard son

Famous for training the finest outriders and scouts.

House: House Stormborne

Lord: Theon Stormborne

Words: Our Rage Conquers All

Sigil: Black Silhouette of a Stag Centaur holding Lightening Bolts of a blue field

Castle: Hall of Storms

House Weapons: Valyrian Steel Bastard Sword named Storm's Wraith, a Dragonbone Bow, An Arakh, A Braavosi Blade and Buckler, A Small Sword believed to have belonged to a Great Unsullied Soldier, an Axe he received from a Ibbenese Man, a Spear made with a Weirwood shaft and a blade of mysterious black metal, and a Large Steel Warhammer

Sworn to: Formally House Baratheon now the Stormlands themselves after King Robert's death.

History: Theon was born a bastard in the Stormlands. As he got older he wondered both Westeros and the Free Cities looking to raise his status. During his travels of the Free Cities he came across prized weapons (a valyrian steel sword and a dragonbone bow) that helped him build a reputation as a capable warrior. After joining up with a small group of men to defend a village, they were successful in defeating the group of Raiders and was Knighted for his bravery in the fighting by one of the other men (Old Knight named Edmund Hunter). After his adventures across the Narrow Sea he returned to Westeros during the time of Robert's Rebellion and joint the rebels on their way to the battle that after become known as "the Battle of the Bells." Theon was present at the Battle of the Trident and many claim that he is the man that wounded Barristan Selmy in that battle. After the Trident, Theon continued with the army to King's Landing then on to the Siege at Storm's End. When the War was won King Robert granted Theon lordship over land in the Stormlands between Summerhall and Mistwood.

House Name: Neeson

Castle: Valorgard

Current Lord: Willem Neeson

Sigil: Orange scales on a black field

Words: Justice, Honor, Might

Unofficial words: The valiant will overcome

House Weapon: Punisher a spear with a Valyrian spearhead and a weirwood shaft and Redeemer a Wierwood and bronze shield

Sworn to: House Stark

Religion: R'hollor, but influenced by the religion of the Old Gods (they believe weirwoods are blessed by R'hollor, and that the Old Gods are like angels of modern day Christianity)

History: distant Cousins of the Umbers, granted land by King Robert after helping quell the Greyjoy rebellion, where they were amazed by Thoros of Myr, and melded his religion into their own in his honor. The first Lord Neeson was William Neeson, Castellan of Last Hearth. He died of old age and the castle passed on to his son Willem. The Neesons have always had a strong sense of honor, and believed that a lord must dispense justice evenly and fairly. They have always been gifted fighters, but refuse to fight from horseback, as it would be unfair to the soldiers who can't afford horses

Religion: R'hollor, but influenced by the religion of the Old Gods (they believe weirwoods are blessed by R'hollor, and that the Old Gods are like angels of modern day Christianity)

They have always been gifted fighters, but refuse to fight from horseback, as it would be unfair to the soldiers who can't afford horses

I like these two ideas of yours. I like the blend of the Religions and their take on warfare.

I like these two ideas of yours. I like the blend of the Religions and their take on warfare.

Yeah I thought from the beginning of the series that their was just one religion, and each culture saw it in a different way, and the real thing being similar to Christianity (R'hollor is God, AA is Jesus, the Old Gods are angels, the Seven are SAints etc.) and I just thoguht that their are so many knights that have an advantage because they had money, and could afford better equipment and horses which provide a huge advantage against foot soldiers, so I figured that their should be at least one group who wanted to fight on an equal playing field.

Yeah I thought from the beginning of the series that their was just one religion, and each culture saw it in a different way, and the real thing being similar to Christianity (R'hollor is God, AA is Jesus, the Old Gods are angels, the Seven are SAints etc.)

I never thought of it like that. The way I saw it was The Old and The New Gods were like that of the old Polytheism and the Lord of Light was like that of the modern Monotheism.

and I just thoguht that their are so many knights that have an advantage because they had money, and could afford better equipment and horses which provide a huge advantage against foot soldiers, so I figured that their should be at least one group who wanted to fight on an equal playing field.

Yeah, I can see that like the Spartans looked down on bowmen.

An improved version of my House.

Name: House Shadelight

Words: It's Time to Scream

Founder: Lady Ishtara Shadelight

Current Lord: Lord Galdur Shadelight

Sigil: A Gorgon on a Blood Red Background

Castle: Gorgon's Lair

Sword: Shade's Son

The Shadelights were an ancient Rhoynari noble family with close ties to the Princes of Rhoynar until the Valyrian Invasion drove Nymeria and her loyal followers to Westeros, among them the last scicon of the Shadelight's, the Lady Ishtara. During Nymeria and Mors Martell's conquest of Dorne, Ishtara fell in love with a strong warrior named Vlayde Sand, a bastard of the Yronwood's, and quickly married him, granted him her name, and bore him a son.

After the conquest for their loyal service, the new Prince of Dorne granted the Shadelights a keep that became known as the Gorgon's Lair and they have faithfully served the Martells ever since.

During the Targaryen attempts at conquest, the Lords and Warrior-Lady's of Shadelight played critical roles in driving the dragons out of the sands of Dorne, and later held true to the Martells during the Blackfyre Rebellions against those in Dorne who would support the false-kings.

In the aftermath of Robert's Rebellion, the Shadelights joined those who called for a continuation of the war due to the murder of Princess Elia and pressed hard to join in the War of Five Kings but continuned to follow Doran Martell's orders, even if they didn't like it.

Unusually for houses in Dorne, bastards born to the Shadelights are not given the surname 'Sand' but 'Shadow' instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Name: House Dawnfire

Words: We Remember.

Founder: Lady Astala Dawnfire

Current Lord: Lord Elion Dawnfire

Sigil: A gold circle on a plain white field

Castle: First Flame

Sword: Restgiver

House Dawnfire and First Flame were founded after the War for the Dawn. Lady Astala lead a band of fighters against the Others during the War for the Dawn after losing all of her children in the initial invasion and proved instrumental in regaining the North. When Brandon Stark was named the first King in the North, Astala was rewarded with First Flame, a great fortress on the edge of the Gift. First Flame was to be the North's first and mightiest defence against Others in the unlikely event that the Wall should fall.

House Dawnfire continued their line unbroken for eight thousand years as loyal subjects to the King in the North. Dawnfires and Starks often married and their strong alliance helped to put down the Boltons in their constant rebellions against Winterfell.

When Aegon and his sisters landed in Westeros, Lord Narian Dawnfire urged Torrhen Stark to take his banners south and fight off the Targaryens. For reasons still unknown, when Torrhen bent the knee to Aegon, Narian returned to First Flame in a black rage. The Dawnfires called their banners and marched toward Winterfell in the name of Northern freedom and independence, though the maesters of Oldtown believe that there must have been another reason for his rebellion, though it is not known what. The Dawnfires proved such a problem to the Starks that Aegon himself had to come North to put their rebellion down and his dragon had to burn First Flame to the ground.

After that, the remaining few Dawnfires fled to Skagos where they married into one of the Skagosi noble families. The Starks knew of this, yet never bothered to stamp them out entirely because they posed no threat on Skagos. Since then, the Dawnfires have slowly grown in the numbers and power on Skagos and still dream of returning to their home and birthright to rebuild. Presently they watch the steady rise of the Others safe on Skagos, waiting for the right moment for them to return and join the fight.

Archived