House Clegane banner at Glasto

Été

The BBC coverage of Glastonbury festival shows a yellow flag in the crowd with three black dogs on it. Just wondering if this is a common symbol or if it's a fan of the Mountain and the Hound, and if so was that someone on here?

If so... full marks :bowdown:

Hehe, I'm watching it again on iPlayer atm(I like Coldplay :blushing: ); I'm sure there are plenty of other times but I've just seen it really clearly at 58.00-58.10, if you wanted to look.

• 3 years later...

The BBC coverage of Glastonbury festival shows a yellow flag in the crowd with three black dogs on it. Just wondering if this is a common symbol or if it's a fan of the Mountain and the Hound, and if so was that someone on here?

If so... full marks :bowdown:

I did notice that in the coverage as well, I think it was during the Manics set that someone was waving it near the front.

Yes it is definitely a House Clegane flag and whoever it is has had it for a long time, I've seen it at loads of music festivals over the last ten years meaning they are book fans rather than recent converts via the TV series.

I wonder if Maisie and Sophie noticed it when they were there over the weekend. Pretty cool.

Actually folks, it's definitely a Wolverhampton Wanderers flag. The design was brought in during 1974. The chaps waving that flag in 2014 were all dressed as 19th century British Army infantry (as seen in Zulu). Apparently they dress like this every year.

You'll also frequently see a smaller "wolf's head" flag, which is the symbol the Wolves started using from 1979. The guy waving that one has been doing it since the 90's.

JacMac30 made me aware of them flying in 2014, and Targh put me on the scent. Pictures of the Wolves designs here:

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Wolverhampton_Wanderers/Wolverhampton_Wanderers.htm

EDIT: Also, Clegane dogs seem to enjoy running left. Unless you're watching the television show, in which case they run in opposite directions.

Archived