Length of future seasons?

Last night, I really started to think about the logistics the TV series faces. Though next year will have ten episodes to cover the source material of A Clash of Kings, I doubt Benioff, Weiss and HBO will be able to limit season three to ten episodes. As said before, the source material for A Storm of Swords is just massive. Granted, the following is my perfect world for what will play out in the future. Obviously, this is not how it will all go down. But if I am going to speculate, I might as well take liberties with my imagination. I mean, who knows, it *could* happen... ;)

Game of Thrones TV series launches to excellent ratings and critical acclaim. Media and word of mouth spread quickly and books one through four out-sale all previous years of publication combined. Book five, A Dance of Dragons is released and immediately goes #1 NYT and remains in the top ten for the rest of the year.

Season two of the Game of Thrones TV series sets HBO records for ratings and becomes their "cash cow". Season three is immediately approved and budget restraints are less of an issue. Benioff and Weiss, after disseminating the source material for A Storm of Swords , requests HBO to approve more than ten episodes. HBO, in turn, requests twenty episodes due to the popularity of the series. B&W decide on fifteen to maintain quality but complete the events of book three. Meanwhile, George is busy working on book six, The Winds of Winter, while another adaptation of his work, The Skin Trade, goes into production.

Season three of the TV series breaks season two records and HBO approves seasons four and five. Other major cable networks begin to consider transitioning similar epic works of the genre to screen. Names like Tad Williams, Steven Erikson and Robert Jordan are discussed and material rights are negotiated/purchased. Meanwhile, George continues plugging along on book six and sees some of his other works, such as Dying of the Light and Fevre Dream begin their journey to major motion picture.

Season four consists of twelve episodes and is not based solely on book four, A Feast for Crows, but rather, combines events from both books four and five, A Dance of Dragons. Season five is projected for twelve episodes and will carry on with material from books four and five in 2015. Though B&W continue to strive for quality over quantity, HBO drools for more seasons/episodes. The Winds of Winter is published and breaks book sales records. George's empire is also built on the worldwide phenomenon of electronic book sales, which is really the only limiting factor from the huge numbers of printed copies taking on the likes of Tolkien, Rowling and King.

Season five picks up where season four left off and finishes up the remainder of source material from books four and five. Meanwhile, HBO execs and B&W begin to debate and work out backup plans if George is unable to complete the final book, A Dream of Spring before season seven is even a possibility. The Winds of Winter is shorter than its predecessor, but is ripe with battles and scenes that require more expense than all previous seasons combined. The TV series does not appear to be waning and ratings are still high even though HBO is competing with several other shows of the same genre on Showtime and Starz, not excluding a similar but much tamer fantasy series on NBC. Approval of season six is an afterthought to HBO, but they are dismayed that Weiss leaves to work on another project. Meanwhile, George continues to plug away at placing the capstone on his gigantic opus.

Season six is an expensive monster that proves again no other network can afford. But ratings, again, break records. HBO profits greatly and approves a seventh season without a book of source material. Benioff, of course, is free to interpret and evolve the story, but there is no need. The final season will merely be delayed. GRRM advises A Dream of Spring will be published in June, and is being finalized by his wonderful editor. Benioff takes privileged in being only the third person in the world to read it. 2017 gets the final season, if only a later beginning to the end. Meanwhile, we all rejoice, cry, laugh and sigh. It is all over. Wait, no, it is not. HBO approves a prequel series based on the Tales of Dunk and Egg.

The seventh season comes and goes, and we experience the ending all over again. Then go back to our normal lives until the Dunk and Egg series premieres. Life is still full of happiness and bliss. And George is, of course, still writing.

The TV series does not appear to be waning and ratings are still high even though HBO is competing with several other shows of the same genre on Showtime and Starz, not excluding a similar but much tamer fantasy series on NBC.

Very possible. The success of The Tudors contributed directly to Spartacus, and both in turn contributed to The Borgias, Camelot, and Game of Thrones. Lost led to Threshold, Surface, Fringe, The Event, ABC's V, FlashForward, and Heroes.

Benioff, of course, is free to interpret and evolve the story, but there is no need. The final season will merely be delayed.

Two other possibilities for this circumstance:

1. A Dunk and Egg series to fill any delays, à la Spartacus: Gods of the Arena after the delay of the second season of Spartacus: Blood and Sand.
  2. The book and the season written together, à la 2001: A Space Odyssey.

• 3 weeks later...

Eärendil I honestly hope that this is the case!

Game of Thrones has all the potential to be a world wide phenomenon if only HBO stick with it. I imagine the Blu Ray and DVD sales for it will be huge, and word of mouth for the show is immense.

Worst case scenario is that fan rage after the

Red Wedding

causes a huge loss in fans and the show is then cancelled.

Archived