Where to get ADWD early?

One of the main reasons I keep Google Chrome as a browser option on my computer is for the auto-translation. If you scroll down with the page translated via Chrome, under Languages it says 'English, English, English'.

Why three times? I have no idea. I'd also like to know if people who order through amazon.jp's website if it goes through. Lord knows I couldn't afford the shipping right now, but it would give me something realistic to obsess over rather than staring at the calendar. ~.~

Thanks for the tip I just installed google chrome. Amazon.jp is listing a July 12th release of ADWD now... probably missed that window.

Someone mentioned yesterday that s/he was able to get a copy in Tübingen at one of southern Germany's bookstore chains. I'd guess that the Freiburg stores would have it, too. Unfortunately, s/he didn't actually mention the name of the chain.

That was me, I guess. I bought the book for 20€ on Wednesday in Tübingen after one of our local stores told me that my pre-order had arrived. I didn't mention the name before because my original post was deleted and Ran asked us not to tell anyone about individual shops where the books was being sold. I don't mention it now because, as it turns out, the store hastily halted all early deliveries - possibly in fear of legal repercussions.

When I got to the store (it was around 2.30pm) A Dance with Dragons was not on the shelves and available only to customers who had pre-ordered it as well as those who wanted to do so. I talked at length to a salesman who assured me that neither the company nor the people at this individual shop could be held liable for any breach of Bantam's 'embargo' because in such cases the suppliers were solely responsible. Whether this is correct, I don't know. But the salesman obviously thought it safe to sell me the book. By the way, no one at the store had any knowledge of the 'embargo' since neither the books themselves nor the computer records were marked accordingly. As I wrote above, they have cancelled all deliveries before the 12th by now, so it stands to reason that the salesman was wrong...

I know from several people - whom I quickly informed about this 'glitch' - that some orders placed that day were in fact despatched and in some cases delivered yesterday. But I also know that someone who wanted to order the book later was told that no more copies were available and customers had to wait until the 12th. It looks like they got one batch of copies by way of their supplier's early roll-out (which is more or less what the salesman told me) and sold all of those within a day or two. It's also possible that corporate word about the 'embargo' reached them and made them shut down all early sales.

What's up with the Axis conspiracy to get ADWD's early? All we need now is Italy joining the fun.

I posted this in the ASOIF dream thread yesterday. No offense is intended to anyone in either Japan and Germany. I have been to both countries and absolutely love both places...

I had this nightmare that we all waited for eleven years for ADWD to be released, and two weeks before the ship date, Germany and Japan received their copies first making them the most powerful nations on earth. Germany quickly realized that they needed an ally in order to guard the precious secret and recruited Italy in their cause by sharing copies with them. They then forced Austria and Czechoslovakia to read and become one with them. The tome was then spread to North Africa.

Meanwhile, Japan who was bolstered by geographical isolation started forcing people to read the book in South Pacific islands and eventually spread the thing all the way to parts of China and the Soviet Union.

Next, Germany pushed the manuscript into Poland, and that was the last straw for HarperCollins (the UK publisher of ADWD). They got England and France to declare war against the early release and tried to get Random House (the US publishers) to join them. Random House at this point declined because it didn't seem that the early release in Europe would have much of an effect on sales in the United States.

Germany quickly made the rest of Europe (with the exception of the UK,Switzerland, and a couple of other countries that I can not quite recollect) read the book and fall under the persuasion of it.

Well, to make a long story short, eventually Random House became involved, and in the course of a LONG two weeks kept as many people as possible oblivious of spoilers. Then we all set down as one united world and read the tome together...

Just a spoiler warning for all of you:

When you have the book, do not look into the appendices. The guy himself spoils all of us therein.

Interesting. I've never spent a lot of time studying the first four books' appendices, but skimming through them each always seemed to indicate the status quo as of the start of the book, not the end. I do know of one possible, minor exception involving Jorah in A Feast for Crows, but are there many others that I've missed? Or is Dance's appendix truly setting a new precedent?

Interesting. I've never spent a lot of time studying the first four books' appendices, but skimming through them each always seemed to indicate the status quo as of the start of the book, not the end. I do know of one possible, minor exception involving Jorah in A Feast for Crows, but are there many others that I've missed? Or is Dance's appendix truly setting a new precedent?

I've read this in one other place- can anyone confirm that there are spoilers in ADWD's appendices?

I've read this in one other place- can anyone confirm that there are spoilers in ADWD's appendices?

Yes, there are. Not major ones, unless I missed any, but there are a couple things people might not want to know ahead of time. I can see why they're included, but it does make the appendix difficult to use.

For Australians

Borders are closing down, so they are offing their copies of ADWD from their internet store. They have Hardcovers of the Bantam release in stock, hefty price though @ $46AUD - says in stock ready to ship.

Appreciate the heads up. Had a look and Angus and Robertson is also selling for $62 for hardcover but I don’t think it’s worth since (quoting the websites): 'Ships in 24-48 hours directly to you - Typically received in 10-15 working days after dispatch.'

I posted this in the ASOIF dream thread yesterday. No offense is intended to anyone in either Japan and Germany. I have been to both countries and absolutely love both places...

I had this nightmare that we all waited for eleven years for ADWD to be released, and two weeks before the ship date, Germany and Japan received their copies first making them the most powerful nations on earth. Germany quickly realized that they needed an ally in order to guard the precious secret and recruited Italy in their cause by sharing copies with them. They then forced Austria and Czechoslovakia to read and become one with them. The tome was then spread to North Africa.

Meanwhile, Japan who was bolstered by geographical isolation started forcing people to read the book in South Pacific islands and eventually spread the thing all the way to parts of China and the Soviet Union.

Next, Germany pushed the manuscript into Poland, and that was the last straw for HarperCollins (the UK publisher of ADWD). They got England and France to declare war against the early release and tried to get Random House (the US publishers) to join them. Random House at this point declined because it didn't seem that the early release in Europe would have much of an effect on sales in the United States.

Germany quickly made the rest of Europe (with the exception of the UK,Switzerland, and a couple of other countries that I can not quite recollect) read the book and fall under the persuasion of it.

Well, to make a long story short, eventually Random House became involved, and in the course of a LONG two weeks kept as many people as possible oblivious of spoilers. Then we all set down as one united world and read the tome together...

Random House joined in after a number of copies from Japan suddenly made their way to Hawaii. :D

Yup. Link to debates elsewhere, if you like, but for the purposes of the board at the moment, the book simply does not exist. This isn't just miserly nitpicking, btw. I'm not enormously spoiler phobic and nevertheless want to read "I thought it was such and such, better than AGOT but worse than AFFC" or whatever, even less than I want to read "A does B", and I want that like I want another hole in my skull, so again, please restrain yourselves.

I hope it's allowed to link to such a place. I'm somewhat confused right now about the spoiler policy here...

Well spoilers inside [ spoiler ] tags are not OK and people appreciate that because clicking them would be too tempting. I'd say linking to a website with spoilers has the same drawback.

For Australians

Borders are closing down, so they are offing their copies of ADWD from their internet store. They have Hardcovers of the Bantam release in stock, hefty price though @ $46AUD - says in stock ready to ship.

Hmm, is it possible that they'll have copies in store? Will have to check it out at lunch time tomorrow.

Hmm, is it possible that they'll have copies in store? Will have to check it out at lunch time tomorrow.

I don't know about A & R and Borders but I CAN confirm that no books have arrived at QBD (and they also had a release date advertised as 01/07) and it's now not expected to arrive until the 11th (in preparation for selling on the 12th).

I originally hoped that A & R may ignore any embargo if they actually had it in store, but now I reckon it's most likely the books won't arrive on our shores till just before the release.

Which doesn't mean I won't be dropping into the local A & R at lunch time tomorrow (just in case......)

Archived