Where to get ADWD early?

George will be happy to know that the booksellers in the Big Easy are sticking to their guns. I have tried them all and lied through my teeth and they are not budging. Even wore a good shirt....

Same boat as the others here. I spent a few hours each night for the past couple days driving around the smaller stores in southern New Hampshire hoping for a store that would break the seal. I didn't bother with the Borders and B&Ns since those stores won't break release date (I would imagine)

It's going to be a long torturous weekend....

Same goes for Toronto and those bloody book store clerks and their honor!!!!

Aye. Bloody Northerners and their Honour.

I propose we organize a sortie of Brave Companions and ride out on a sortie to Indigo and strip them of the Lands and Titles.

This is atrocious! Why do all the competent people of morals work in bookstores! We need to get all the incompetent, idiot, bureaucrats out of Washington and put them in bookstores and move all the bookstore workers to DC where they might do some good.

This is atrocious! Why do all the competent people of morals work in bookstores! We need to get all the incompetent, idiot, bureaucrats out of Washington and put them in bookstores and move all the bookstore workers to DC where they might do some good.

Yes! Clearly they will never become high level executives or CEO's. :laugh:

Don't blame them, they'll lose their job. It is, after all, the biggest book release of the year. I would argue the biggest of the century, so far.

I preordered my book on Amazon.ca. I'm content waiting until the 12th, though I am going a little antsy in anticipation.

Really? My local Dymocks still say the 12th as is my local QBD.

Yes, that's what the salesperson said; the release date is the 12th.

But they expect to get stock later, in the third or fourth week of July.

I hope she's wrong. I would prefer a hardcover.

Worst case scenario I'll get the Kindle version.

Now that A&E and Borders are gone, Dymocks is the last chain bookshop left :(

Chicagoland reporting in here, whilst all the Borders I've called have firmly told me it's a no go to sell before Tuesday, I convinced the mangager at two of them to stay open till midnight on the 11th, so all of us loyal fans can get our books at the same time as the e-book people. I recommend you guys at least try it. If you're nice enough they might work with you, I mean 8 hours isn't a lot but it's still 8 hours.

Don't blame them, they'll lose their job. It is, after all, the biggest book release of the year. I would argue the biggest of the century, so far.

I preordered my book on Amazon.ca. I'm content waiting until the 12th, though I am going a little antsy in anticipation.

Depends upon your definition of biggest. If you mean most sold on the first day, then no. That little wizard with the glasses sold more. I also haven't heard of any ADwD parties at bookstores where they are staying open until midnight on July 11 (other than the ones mentioned above), just so that they can sell the books as soon as possible.

GH

For people in Australia, Dymocks is saying the third or fourth week of July.

Strange, I pointed out the release date was the 12th but the lady said they would get stock sometime later.

If anyone on this board lives in Perth, WA; do you know when the Borders store will be closing?

Yesterday or today. They won't have ADWD.

If Dymocks let you down, you could try Planet Books or one of the smaller sci fi book stores in the city. Planet Books is advertising ADWD for the 12th...

Yesterday or today. They won't have ADWD.

If Dymocks let you down, you could try Planet Books or one of the smaller sci fi book stores in the city. Planet Books is advertising ADWD for the 12th...

Well as I said earlier my Dymocks seems to think they will get them. As does my local QBD which I think WA is the only state that doesn't have the chain.

Chicagoland reporting in here, whilst all the Borders I've called have firmly told me it's a no go to sell before Tuesday, I convinced the mangager at two of them to stay open till midnight on the 11th, so all of us loyal fans can get our books at the same time as the e-book people. I recommend you guys at least try it. If you're nice enough they might work with you, I mean 8 hours isn't a lot but it's still 8 hours.

HarransRoast, Might I ask which two Borders locations you convinced to stay open on the 11th? I thought the only Borders left in the city was downtown (State St or Mich Ave). Unfortunately, both of my local Borders closed, so at this point I'm hoping Costco stocks it promptly on the 12th, but if I can confirm that a fairly near Borders will be selling it at midnight, I might go for it.

HarransRoast, Might I ask which two Borders locations you convinced to stay open on the 11th? I thought the only Borders left in the city was downtown (State St or Mich Ave). Unfortunately, both of my local Borders closed, so at this point I'm hoping Costco stocks it promptly on the 12th, but if I can confirm that a fairly near Borders will be selling it at midnight, I might go for it.

The one out in Oak Brook, there's also a borders in Oak Park. These also a Borders over on 95th and western I believe though that was a month ago and I haven't been past lately. The one in Oak Brook is the one I called, and they said they were like 80 percent sure they were going to stay open till 12, but to call back on Monday to make sure.

I'm not even sure it's the biggest book release of the year. But the century? No. Each Harry Potter and the blah blah blah had people lined up for blocks for midnight releases. People dressing up as Wizards and Witches and so on. I remember the last Potter book's release was a circus in NYC, with every train car packed with people talking about the book on their way to buy it, and the next morning everyone was reading it. This release is high profile for sure but it's not some international historical event that Harry Potter eventually became. Maybe the last ASOIAF book will be big news but I doubt it will be like Potter where there are news crews roaming the streets at all hours interviewing fans about the series.

Book retailers don't intentionally leak books because the publishing companies have major leverage over them and it's almost certain termination to leak any book early. Book publishers have a clear and established relationship with most retail outlets, major and small. It's not like video game retailers where they sell copies days and even weeks before the official release dates and there is nothing that the publisher can do to stop them. The two local video game shops near me will sell you copies of games the minute they get them off of the truck. The bookstores know that they'll be toast if they are found to be intentionally leaking high profile books.

Well as I said earlier my Dymocks seems to think they will get them. As does my local QBD which I think WA is the only state that doesn't have the chain.

As at this moment QBD (at least in Brisbane) haven't recieved any copies. I spoke to the manager today and she didn't believe they were scheduled for tomorrow either.

And when I asked the guys at the independent sci-fi/fantasy store in the city on Friday they said they were 'hoping' for it to come in on Tues (but they way they said it I wasn't exactly filled with hope myself)

Shit, I'm getting a bad feeling about this. I can just see myself walking into the store on Tuesday, glancing hopefully towards the clerk, only to recieve a sad shake of his head in reply....

Archived