Is the Hound Really that bad?

HarransRoast

Yeah I had forgotten when he cried out for help after his fight with Beric ended with him being burned. It seems like was crying a lot in the last 2 books. First with Sansa when he is in her room, then with Beric and finally with Arya when he begs her to kill him. Poor guy. Honestly, the Hound has been really traumatized, and I don't think we can paint him as some monster at all. In many ways he is like Brienne. She has been abused all her life for her looks, but at least she had a pleasant childhood with her father. This is why the Hound desperately needs Sansa's love:)

Also, I realized, as I re-read his passages, that he really has no fear for Joffrey or anyone else ranked higher than him in the social food chain. He speaks with sarcasm and disdain to everyone, including the boy king.

I don't think he's a monster (like Gregor or Ramsay), but he is neither a "good guy" nor a "guy who deep down has a heart of gold" :D

He's a gray character, but definitely not a lighter shade of gray.

The Hound is a hard character to judge as a person, the lack of an P.O.V information of his thoughts means the only information given is that of other characters opinions towards him, and information he gives himself to other characters that is often part of his persona he has built around himself as 'The Hound' rather than Sandor Clegane.

True. It's rather difficult to judge him. In particular, it's difficult to say if he really enjoyed killing innocent people or if he says it just to shock people.

IMO, you can argue that the Hound was under orders, that he thought Mycah had attacked Joffrey, etc, but what's bad about the killing is that he's so cavalier about it. I think that's what's dark about the Hound at the beginning. He killed him, didn't care, and then doesn't remember him when Arya brings him up and seems surprised that this is the crime he's answering for with the Brotherhood.

But, you know. A lot of people in Westeros are pretty cavalier about killing. I think the Hound is one of those who can be clearly seen to be on a redemption path. His character's been fleshed out from "scary mean dude" to "scary mean dude with a Dark Childhood and some good points" to "bumbling dude who did some bad things but is now just doing his best to get by". I think the next step is probably "reluctant hero" leading to perhaps "heroic sacrifice" (goes without saying, probably to save Sansa.)

But then again, that whole plot angle might be too predictable for GRRM. Maybe the Hound's already dead, never to be mentioned again, and the gravedigger was just a red herring!

The Hound? He's the face of many of us.

"I can take revenge many times over. . . . yet hesitate for fear of the unknown. I tried to be kind in my own way but was scoffed at or told that it was cruel. I'm growing still, JUST to spite you. I won't be beaten, It's all I have. The good in the world can only be quantified by the bad. To live is to know pain. I can weather any storm. My loyalties were decided for me. Choice? I had no choice.

Lord Martin has taken much time to explain him if you look at the text carefully. He is one of the best characters in the series since he is struggling through what others think Vs. what he thinks of himself. Anyone can relate to the Hound on at least one level: I always wanted to struggle with his issues, but never found the time.

Philosophical gold that one, The Hound should have been in Dune. I'll tip my hat to the Hound any day since he signifies the pinnacle of the "What they did to us, and what we do to them" ideal.

The Hound? He's the face of many of us.

"I can take revenge many times over. . . . yet hesitate for fear of the unknown. I tried to be kind in my own way but was scoffed at or told that it was cruel. I'm growing still, JUST to spite you. I won't be beaten, It's all I have. The good in the world can only be quantified by the bad. To live is to know pain. I can weather any storm. My loyalties were decided for me. Choice? I had no choice.

Lord Martin has taken much time to explain him if you look at the text carefully. He is one of the best characters in the series since he is struggling through what others think Vs. what he thinks of himself. Anyone can relate to the Hound on at least one level: I always wanted to struggle with his issues, but never found the time.

Philosophical gold that one, The Hound should have been in Dune. I'll tip my hat to the Hound any day since he signifies the pinnacle of the "What they did to us, and what we do to them" ideal.

Well said. Sandor is a directionless tormented soul with the body and instincts of an elite warrior. As Sansa says, he is a half-mad dog that rejects affection but will kill to protect those he feels some strange loyalty towards.

Archived