What's your most emotionally moving/affecting moment in ASoIaF?

Two Eyed Crow

Brienne's last chapter was my most emotional also -- I was re-reading that part of Feast a couple of days ago and had to go hide in the bathroom so no one would see me crying (that's the only chapter in the series that has ever actually brought tears to my eyes.

It tends to be smaller or more incidental moments that move me more than the larger tragedies. While rereading FEAST last week, I was particularly struck by Aemon's line, "Egg, I dreamed I was old," and by Jaime's dream of his mother ("'I am a knight,' he told her, 'and Cersei is a queen.' A tear rolled down her cheek."), which is a very moving encapsulation of how the flaws of the series' protagonists derive in part from their parents, whose own flaws derive from their parents, and so on back into history.

Where to start....

-Bran and Rickon saying goodbye to each other at the end of ACOK.....

-Sansa singing to the Hound in ACOK......I was so scared for her and so relieved Sandor didn't hurt her after all.

-Dany's last 2 chapters of AGOT and the House of Undying in ACOK

-The very end of the Princess in the Tower in AFFC - "fire and blood".....chills just thinking about it!

-Arya when she leaves Harrenhall at the end of ACOK.....she feels Jon Snow, Ned, Yoren, Syrio and Jacqen walking beside her.

-The Red Wedding- the final Catelyn chapter of ASOS and the Arya chapter that follows. I was heartbroken for Arya (and Sandor)- they were so close to being safe, secure and away from the Lannisters.

-Maester Aemon's dealth.

Edit to Add-

Brienne talking to the Elder Brother on the Quite Isle. The whole chapter was pretty emotional.

The Arya chapter right after/during the Red Wedding! She was so close, yet so far.

This is what I was going to say. It was definitely the most heart wrenching moment. Not only was Cat going to learn that her youngest daughter was still alive, but Arya was finally going to see her mother and brother again. All I was thinking was "she was so close!"

Worst moment, by far, was when Bolton put his sword into Robb's chest. Not the Red Wedding as a whole, just that exact moment. I was crushed by the fact that Robb was dead, as were the chances for the North. I had been feverishly reading the book for the entire day up to that point, and then I just had to put it down and didn't go back to it for a day or two.

Best moment? Joffrey's wedding. That one was a moment of triumph.

Moment of surprise? I don't know why, but it was during Arianne's last chapter when her father revealed that she was betrothed to Viserys. I thought that was so damn cool, due to the future ramifications that one might hold . . .

Hello ser mod giving me approval, and my fellow Grrim readers.

How Ramsay Snow became Ramsay Bolton and how the evil Rooster earned the title Warden of the North. The sheer betrayal of Dreadfort, and how no one but the reader knows of it's entirety, left me stunned and heart broken in my chair for quite some time.

3. Sansa being forced to hold Ned's head - who doesn't wanna be her knight in shining armor?

2. The Hound crying after getting burned in his dual against the lightning lord - my heart melted for the monster

1. Ser Gregor killing the Red Viper - the injustice of it all really brought out some anger in me

1. Ser Gregor killing the Red Viper - the injustice of it all really brought out some anger in me

I agree, this one, Ned's death, the RW, the sack of Winterfall all took a toll on me enotionally and afterwards I kept thinking how good guys in ASoIaF sure can't catch a break and justice is so rare that it's incredibly enjoyable when someone like Joff or Cersei finally have some karma catch up to them.

It tends to be smaller or more incidental moments that move me more than the larger tragedies. While rereading FEAST last week, I was particularly struck by Aemon's line, "Egg, I dreamed I was old," and by Jaime's dream of his mother ("'I am a knight,' he told her, 'and Cersei is a queen.' A tear rolled down her cheek."), which is a very moving encapsulation of how the flaws of the series' protagonists derive in part from their parents, whose own flaws derive from their parents, and so on back into history.

Wonderfully said. I agree on both lines... especially Aemon's. Really struck a cord with me.

Other than that the Red Wedding and Sack of Winterfell. I remember breezing through Ned losing his head -- I was convinced it was some trick and Ned was still alive -- so it didn't really hit me until the end of aCoK that "Damn. He's really dead."

The Red Wedding/Sack of Winterfell were such a punch in the stomach. What hurt even worse were how the loyal subjects of the Starks were just brutalized. I was depressed for weeks after reading both.

Aside from the obvious Red Wedding...

I remember being randomly sad/teary-eyed in the first book, during a quiet little moment between Bran and Robb, when Robb's at his bedside and says they'll visit Jon at the wall and it'll be an adventure, then Robb starts crying and Bran reaches for his hand.

Also got teary-eyed in AFfC when Arya is throwing all her possessions into the water but just can't bring herself to throw away Needle, and she thinks about everything that it represents, all that it means to her. A heart-wrenching happy/sad combo emotion washed over me when she kept it and hid it away.

Sansa building Winterfell in the snow is also a sad moment.

Basically anytime the Starks are hurting over everything they've lost and how they're all separate, it's emotional...

Aside from the Wed Wedding and the Sack of Winterfell, a very poignant scene for me is when Tyrion is recounting the tale of his failed marriage to Tysha to Bronn. I don't really know why this scene's stood out.

Another one for me is the final Jon and Ygritte scene in aSoS. Oh God, that cave, that cave...

Also, Shae testifying against Tyrion (as said before) and when Jon says good bye to Winterfell.

Archived