The One Week ADwD Countdown

BarrileteCosmico

Ok everyone, I need some help. I only have twenty dollars until weds. Which should I get, the e-book version for my nook at midnight, or should I just get a hardcopy?

Why not purchase both? :) (buy the e-book first, and the hardcopy later) I've pre-ordered the e-book version of ADwD so I can start reading it the moment it's released. I will also purchase the book later, but the book will simply serve as a "collector's item", since I prefer to read books on the iPad.

Ok everyone, I need some help. I only have twenty dollars until weds. Which should I get, the e-book version for my nook at midnight, or should I just get a hardcopy? The e-book is cheaper, but I would have to use a credit card and then I wouldn't have a hard copy. And the hardcopy, I would have to wait a WHOLE 7 HOURS more to read it because my neighborhood bookstores don't open till 8 or 9...........

I am no fan of e-books so I say wait and get the hard copy. To me nothing beats the feel of the pages and that new book smell and feel. :read:

I am no fan of e-books so I say wait and get the hard copy. To me nothing beats the feel of the pages and that new book smell and feel. :read:

I had the same opinion as you for a long while, but now I actually prefer e-books. I think it's just a matter of getting used to it :)

I think e-books are more practical, not only when you're travelling (adding a few hundred megabytes of books doesn't increase the weight or size of your iPad :) ), but also because I find it easier to bookmark pages, search and add notes. I also have the books synchronized across my iPhone (sometimes it can be very convenient to simply pull out your phone while you're travelling or waiting, and continue your reading, just where you left off last time). Some of the hardcover books are also big and bulky, and when I read in bed, it's much easier to "turn" the pages on the e-book version than the physical book.

Okay... maybe I am just confused... but why would anyone preorder the e-Book? I mean, can't you just buy it the moment the date flips? That's what I am planning to do assuming my hardcover version isn't delivered first. I generally prefer an e-Book (I like it better than a paperback but not quite as much as a hardcover, but hardcover takes up too much space) but for Dance I am willing to make an exception.

I've always preferred a hard copy to reading on the PC, but I've read some things on laptops and tablets for portability. I've been very skeptical about the e-reader devices, but I was surprised by how much I liked my step-mother's new kindle last week. It was very easy on the eyes and it really looked like printed pages. I may buy one when I have some extra cash. I'm still dubious about the prices for the digital files though. Have they been trending towards lower prices?

Because HarperCollins Voyager is a European publisher (and Australian, through HarperCollins Australia). An app in the U.S. and Canada would be something that would be in the domain of Bantam/Random House.

I've always preferred a hard copy to reading on the PC, but I've read some things on laptops and tablets for portability. I've been very skeptical about the e-reader devices, but I was surprised by how much I liked my step-mother's new kindle last week. It was very easy on the eyes and it really looked like printed pages. I may buy one when I have some extra cash. I'm still dubious about the prices for the digital files though. Have they been trending towards lower prices?

Yeah, I got a Nook for Christmas and it's been extremely convenient as I can put audiobooks and music and e-books on it. The e-book of aDwD stands at 14.99 vs 18.99 for the hardcover. I do like having a real copy becasue I find that I'm much more likely to be distracted while reading a e-book vs. a real book, maybe thats just me. I like my Nook overall, wish that it came backlit but it's e-ink so I have to get a attachment.However I'd never by an iPad though unless I wanted to be pushed out of the moondoor.

Okay... maybe I am just confused... but why would anyone preorder the e-Book? I mean, can't you just buy it the moment the date flips? That's what I am planning to do assuming my hardcover version isn't delivered first. I generally prefer an e-Book (I like it better than a paperback but not quite as much as a hardcover, but hardcover takes up too much space) but for Dance I am willing to make an exception.

To get it out of the way rather than frantically refresh the page a few hundred times to see whether it's available for purchase yet.

Five or six years ago when AFFC was coming out, I was wandering around the bookstore about a week before the release date and I stumbled upon a single copy of the book randomly stuffed onto a shelf. As a result, I was able to laugh at all the sad fools on this board for seven glorious days. Yesterday I went to the bookstore to see if lightning would strike twice. No good. It has been quite a blow to my ego to have to wait for the actual release date along with the proles.

You could get it as an ebook and receive it before everyone else who ordered it paper-based. I myself will be getting it only minutes after midnight.

So... you're saying I can get the book for $15 instead of $35, I can DL it at 12:01 AM on Monday morning, and I don't even need a Kindle since I can use Amazon's free, downloadable reader? Sign me up!

Voyager Books, one of ADwD's publishers, have released a free ADwD app for iPhone:

An App and an Icon of Dragons

They've also published a nice ADwD-icon:

http://www.voyagerbo...dragonsicon.jpg

Excepting the Canada, the US, and the Philippines? Man, Canada never gets the nice stuff. Well, except the last Winter Olympics, we had spectacular coverage of that. But other than that...

So... you're saying I can get the book for $15 instead of $35, I can DL it at 12:01 AM on Monday morning, and I don't even need a Kindle since I can use Amazon's free, downloadable reader? Sign me up!

You don't need to manually download it: It happens automatically when you pre-order :) You don't need Kindle either, you can use the Kindle-app on iPad or iPhone (and I'm quite sure there's a Kindle-reader for Android as well).

For Amazon's Kindle I always preorder soon as I can. Why? Well, sometimes the price will be raised, but because I preordered early, Amazon will let me have it at the price it was when I preordered. That's how I got the ASoIaF 1-4 Bundle for $18 instead of the $30 the publishers are now charging for it.

Excepting the Canada, the US, and the Philippines? Man, Canada never gets the nice stuff. Well, except the last Winter Olympics, we had spectacular coverage of that. But other than that...

To be quite honest, the app isn't that exciting (although it's free). They should've included a countdown timer and the icon is much cooler :)

You don't need to manually download it: It happens automatically when you pre-order :) You don't need Kindle either, you can use the Kindle-app on iPad or iPhone (and I'm quite sure there's a Kindle-reader for Android as well).

There is also a Windows version of Kindle for reading on the PC, and you can synch it between a PC and an iPad, so if two people want to be reading the same ebook at the same time? Dl the Kindle version to PC and then transfer it your iPad rather than DL it straight to your iPad.

BTW, of all of the e-book readers for the iPad, I think the free Kindle app is the best one. The formatting is excellent, colors perfect and the adjustable type face size is awesome for those of us whose eyes aren't quite what they used to be.

I expect to be purchasing the Kindle version of ADwD as of midnight on the 12th, but I hope that the Audible downloadable audio book version is available more or less at midnight as well. It is my intention to listen to Roy Dotrice's narration of ADwD to prolong and savor the experience, but my impatience to begin as soon as possible is the main opposition to that declared objective :)

If it's midnight for the Audible version? I'm golden. If I have to wait 8-12 hours for the high quality audible version, I'll be reading the Kindle version as I wait.

Dead tree version of ADwD for my wife has also been ordered, but as there is no same-day shipping option in Canada, I don't expect it to arrive from Amazon.ca until the 13th or 14th. I'm sure as hell not waiting those extra days. The wait right now seems "extra" to me at this point and it's frikkin killing me as it stands!

Okay... maybe I am just confused... but why would anyone preorder the e-Book? I mean, can't you just buy it the moment the date flips?

Of course you can. But pre-ordering saves you a bit of clicking and typing, because the e-book is automatically downloaded to your reader.

I generally prefer an e-Book (I like it better than a paperback but not quite as much as a hardcover, but hardcover takes up too much space) but for Dance I am willing to make an exception.

Why not purchase both? :) I don't want to drag the bulky hardcover with me on vacation, but I still want the book on my shelf, alongside the other books in the series. I usually don't bother to purchase a book in both formats, but ADwD is special, so I'm willing to make an exception.

Archived