The One Week ADwD Countdown

BarrileteCosmico

I am very sad it is coming out. I will not be reading it, not till WoW comes out anyways, and in that time, I will make sure I DO NOT VISIT THIS DAMN SITE. It was here where I was spoiled for 2/4 books. And it wasnt because I clicked in a random thread, but because of the damn thread title showing up on the MAIN PAGE.

No. No more spoilers. Goodbye my sweets. Perhaps I will lurk around Literature in OT, but if I so much as smell a spoiler... :tantrum: :ack: :box: :fencing:

This thread got me thinking about buying it as an e-book and reading on the PC instead. I would have preferred buying a paperback edition because I do most of my reading when I'm travelling and a hardcover edition is kind of large and clumpsy to bring along. But the paperback is too far away...

On the other hand, it is far nicer to read from a book than off the screen of my PC.

Makes me wish I had a Kindle...

Buying both the e-book and the hardcover is too expensive for me right now...

5 days left..my (hardcover) preorder now says that it will ship in 2-5 days :)

BTW, of all of the e-book readers for the iPad, I think the free Kindle app is the best one. The formatting is excellent, colors perfect and the adjustable type face size is awesome for those of us whose eyes aren't quite what they used to be.

The app is very good, I agree, but there are some glaring omissions: For example, there are no "Previous/Next" chapter buttons.

Dead tree version of ADwD for my wife has also been ordered, but as there is no same-day shipping option in Canada, I don't expect it to arrive from Amazon.ca until the 13th or 14th. I'm sure as hell not waiting those extra days. The wait right now seems "extra" to me at this point and it's frikkin killing me as it stands!

The release of the book coincides very well with the start of my vacation, so there will be a lot of reading in the days/weeks ahead :)

Why not purchase both? :) I don't want to drag the bulky hardcover with me on vacation, but I still want the book on my shelf, alongside the other books in the series. I usually don't bother to purchase a book in both formats, but ADwD is special, so I'm willing to make an exception.

See, I move too much and currently have a tiny room with no appreciable bookshelf space (I literally can only stand in the space through which the door swings when opened), so I'm holding off on physical copies until I have a more permanent, larger home.

Until then, ebook is more space-efficient.

This thread got me thinking about buying it as an e-book and reading on the PC instead. I would have preferred buying a paperback edition because I do most of my reading when I'm travelling and a hardcover edition is kind of large and clumpsy to bring along. But the paperback is too far away...

On the other hand, it is far nicer to read from a book than off the screen of my PC.

Makes me wish I had a Kindle...

Purchasing a used iPad 1, 16GB model off of Craigslist is a worthwhile and comparitively cheap gadget to buy these days. Depends where you are of course. Still, as an ebook reader, movie player, iPod and surfing machine, it really is pretty damned cool. It takes pretty awesome notes using Apple's Pages app, too.

I got my iPad 1, 64GB 3G model, with a rubber Apple Folio cover for $500, all-in, no tax, off of Craigslist a little over 3 months ago, just after the iPad 2 came out. It had all of maybe 2 hours usage on it and was still in the original box with the plastic sheet screen protector on the unit. I got it with a warranty, too.

I use my iPad every day. A 16GB model for $200-$300, used, would be well worth it, imo.

Whether or not you are inclined to get one, there may be others out there who have wondered how useful a device it is. My vote> Extremely useful.

See, I move too much and currently have a tiny room with no appreciable bookshelf space (I literally can only stand in the space through which the door swings when opened), so I'm holding off on physical copies until I have a more permanent, larger home.

I think you've confused my reply with someone else's because I replied to a message posted by Abaddon :) (In fact, I generally prefer e-books myself)

I use my iPad every day. A 16GB model for $200-$300, used, would be well worth it, imo.

I love my iPad and use it every day :thumbsup: I never regret purchasing it (I had the first iPad for a while, then I replaced it with iPad 2), and it's well worth the money.

For a while I was quite skeptical, but it didn't take long before I realized that it would be very handy for reading books, newspapers and magazines (I don't buy magazines in newspaper stores anymore: I get them much cheaper and faster via Zinio on the iPad), and as a portable entertainment machine.

The portability factor is very important: It makes it much easier to take the iPad along with you. I had a small portable PC and a netbook for many years, but I almost never bothered to take them with me, unless I had to (and the iPad doesn't need cables or an extra mouse, and it's battery time is superior to most portable PC's). I'm also using the iPad more and more as a part of my daily work (nice integration with Exchange, Evernote, Apple's office apps are handy, etc).

Of course, in the US there's also an HBO-app available which lets you (if you're a subscriber) watch GOT episodes whenever you want.

Of course you can. But pre-ordering saves you a bit of clicking and typing, because the e-book is automatically downloaded to your reader.

Ah, I see. I keep my wireless off on my Kindle so I was figuring I'd just go get it when it's released.

Why not purchase both? :) I don't want to drag the bulky hardcover with me on vacation, but I still want the book on my shelf, alongside the other books in the series. I usually don't bother to purchase a book in both formats, but ADwD is special, so I'm willing to make an exception.

Oh, I'm planning on both :). But if the hardcover arrives soon enough I'll probably wait on the e-Book version for a while. I'm totally in the same boat with you on the 'ADwD' is special, I wouldn't normally do this. Normally I'll just get the e-Book and skip the hardcover.

Out of curiosity, who else is taking Tuesday off work?

As an educational psychologist, I don't work in the summers. This will be great when the book comes out, but so far has been horrible for waiting for it

Out of curiosity, who else is taking Tuesday off work?

I'm still working on Tuesday, but I'm taking Wednesday, Thursday and Friday off, vacation days I haven't taken, so yay!

I really wanted the hardcover version of the book, but right now ordering from Amazon would be too expensive, so, ebook version it is.

I really wanted the hardcover version of the book, but right now ordering from Amazon would be too expensive, so, ebook version it is.

The hardcover is USD $18.81 on Amazon, the ebook is $14.99-- I'm not sure I understand your logic here, we're talking about a $3.82 difference for the hardcover, that's the cost of 1 gallon of gas

I just had my midterm. If I buy the pdf version I'll have it instantly on Tuesday, then I can clear my calendar to read it. Only I'll still have class every day... aaaaa.

Maybe I should restrict myself to a few chapters a day. That way the book will last about a month. Anyone else planning on this?

I just had my midterm. If I buy the pdf version I'll have it instantly on Tuesday, then I can clear my calendar to read it. Only I'll still have class every day... aaaaa.

Maybe I should restrict myself to a few chapters a day. That way the book will last about a month. Anyone else planning on this?

If you read 2 chapters a day the book will last for like 36 days :P

I don't know, I dont think I could do that. I think i'll just tear through the book as fast as I can, then once my initial curiosity is satisfied, do a full series reread.

Archived