Who is best suited to rule?

Ser Frank Haven

He tried (in regard to Casterly Rock), Jaime refused. OTOH, Tywin openly informed his legal heir that he intended to fuck him over. That's simply asking for a succession war, worth of Aegon the Unworthy.

True. However if as king Tywin simply dismissed him in open court, there's not a lot Jamie can do. He can't go around still wearing the cloak, pretending he's still in the Kingsguard. Of course this would increase his resentment of his father, but if anything that should just further Jamie's redemption arc even more. And I don't think Jamie and Tyrion would fight each other for the throne; one would step aside for the other.

The big problem is if Jamie disappears post-dismissal or if Cersei manages to fuck with things. But that's pushing things further down this tangent then I want to speculate. Regardless of if there'd be a succession crisis or not, for the duration of being king I think Tywin would do the best job of all the available candidates.

I see he was already mentioned, but yes, Baelor Breakspear would have been the perfect ruler. The man had no vice or a shortcomming that we saw or heard of.

Out of the current "elite", I'd say Tommen is good - barring any dramatic change in personality he'd grow up to be benevolent and slightly pliable, allowing for competent powers-behind-the-throne like his grandfather Kevan or the Tyrells to make the harder or more important decisions for him. In a time of peace, he'd be a beloved king.

Stannis is just, but too stiff.

Renly was charming and benevolent (or is he? he was perfectly fine with causing murderous famine in King's Landing...), but doesn't strike me as very competent.

Ned would have the best intentions, but cannot handle the more complicated politics of the Court.

Tywin gave Westeros many years of peace and prosperity during his tenure as Aerys' Hand, but he was just as capable of unleashing hell.

Joffrey was sadistic and too eager to abuse his power.

Robb was a great battle commander, but showed a surprising incompetence in everything else.

Tyrion is resourceful and intelligent, but his fragile ego might be a problem if he's given supreme power.

Dany, much like Robb, is an able conqueror but she's way too self-absorbed to make a truly good ruler. That's why she's just a hot jailbait warlord (Is there a feminine version of the word? Warlady sounds wrong.), nothing more.

1) Stannis

2) Ned

3)Baelor Breakspear from the Dunk and Egg stories

I'd say Baelor above Ned and Stannis, he's got the honour and justice things that they have but unlike Stannis and Ned he's hugely popular and well loved by the people plus he's a famed war hero whereas Stannis and Ned are known more as helpers to the big hero of the war, Robert

Who would fight and die for Tyrion, though?

Whoever's unhappy with the other heir's rule. And if it was Cersei, or even worse: Joffrey, that would be quite a lot of people. Blackfyre Rebellion, Dance of Dragons, Robert's Rebellion, War of Five Kings - none of those civil wars were cancelled due to insufficient attendance. And Tyrion, ugly as he is, looks like someone politically savvy enough to forge an alliance or two.

True. However if as king Tywin simply dismissed him in open court, there's not a lot Jamie can do. He can't go around still wearing the cloak, pretending he's still in the Kingsguard.

Maester Aemon was in a similar situation: got offered the throne and refused.

Of course this would increase his resentment of his father, but if anything that should just further Jamie's redemption arc even more. And I don't think Jamie and Tyrion would fight each other for the throne; one would step aside for the other.

The big problem is if Jamie disappears post-dismissal or if Cersei manages to fuck with things.

There of course is a possibility that it all would end well. Murphy's laws however speak strongly against this resolution, and Tywin certainly doesn't help.

Daenerys

She is the only one that during the books looked around and changed her course of action because of the effect she was having on the people she controlled. I think her decision to stay in Slaver's Bay and rule, instead of burning and moving on, showed how much she actually cares about being a good ruler.

Daenerys

She is the only one that during the books looked around and changed her course of action because of the effect she was having on the people she controlled. I think her decision to stay in Slaver's Bay and rule, instead of burning and moving on, showed how much she actually cares about being a good ruler.

Stannis stops warring over the iron throne to help defend The Wall against the Wildlings and The Others. He is the only King in Westeros to rise and protect The Wall from assault. And Stannis says he does not want to be King and only claims the throne for duty and justice. He even says that he doesn't believe in Melisandre's God and is just using her for her sorcery. He doesn't even think that he's the mythical Azor Ahai nor does he want to be King of Westeros but he takes his army and his family to The Wall to prevent it from falling.

There isn't a single person that's fit to rule because there's always going to be someone out there with an battle axe to grind against whoever is sitting on the throne.

The best choice is to go back to the seven kingdoms or form some kind of ruling council with a representative from every major house.

I think Tyrion has the best understanding and concern for economics so I'm going to vote for him. :thumbsup:

Someone above asked who would fight for Tyrion? Well, he didn't seem to have too much trouble rousting up support in the heat of the moment at the Battle of the Blackwater.

Halfman!!

:commie:

Stannis as of now, and almost certainly Dany by the end of the series.

It's important to note that Dany has a MAJOR temper problem. It's highlighted multiple times, and when she flies off the handle she does it badly. She can smile and say 'I have the blah blah of the dragon' as much as she likes, but isn't that how Aerys started? He wasn't mad at the start, he got worse and worse as he got older.

Stannis, though, is rock solid. He may have a temper, but he would never act on it unless he had good reason. He just shouts a bit (and in his situation I think a degree of shouting is justified besides).

The only issue is that Dany, being beautiful beyond words and a Targ to boot, will be more popular with the public. Stannis will never be popular with the public. However, he's like to surround himself with a good, strong court that isn't going to be insane, corrupt, or both. You look at the people Dany is bringing into her confidence and you have to shake your head a bit. Some of those sellsword people she's fond of, especially the one she fancies, are as low as you can possibly go.

Which seems to me Dany's second biggest weakness: She genuinely seems to have a weakness for handsome men. We'll see if that gets built on more in ADWD or it's just that one guy, but I found it very concerning. I mean... her taste in men so far has run to Khal Drogo; a slave-taking, woman-raping, man-slaughtering warmonger and that sellsword, who happily murdered his two companions and delivered their heads to her in person.

Tommnen with Kevan Lannister becoming his hand AND regent. He seems to be a good kid that has that has the ability to unify Westeros like none of the other candidates. I like his active interest in politics at such a young age, and I could see him growing up to have benevolence.

Stannis has the best claim to the throne, but with the influence of Melisandre and a track record for cruelty for justice's sake, I would not want to see him on the throne.

Don't know if he'll get there, but Jon has the right temperament. He's prudent, dutiful, reliable, well-intentioned, and not excessively idealistic. He'd never fly off the handle or start an unnecessary war. He'd be a fairly conservative ruler and probably wouldn't attempt the ambitious social justice reforms that Dany favors, but he'd quietly restore Westeros to health and stability.

For the record--though he'd be a great king, I hope he never gets that far, because it would be such a pat ending.

Archived