Who is best suited to rule?

Ser Frank Haven

Stannis Baratheon.

Sure, there are some serious misgivings about his red priestess, but that is in the situation of trying to fight an unwinnable war at the time. He is going to need every tool he can get his hands on.

Once he has his seat, I envision Melisandre's influence diminishing, but if it doesn't, that would make him unsuited for rule.

In that case, Doran Martell might serve.

Ned Stark would have been a good King in the North, but not of the Seven Kingdoms.

1) Stannis. He is very rooted in duty, and would lead the kingdom with respect to that. He wouldn't be a sympathetic ruler, but he would be "fair."

2) Tyrion. From what he see of him in A Clash of Kings, he was a good Hand. It seemed like he tried to protect Kings Landing because he wanted to save its peoples and because he was a Lannister. Unlike Cersei, who doesn't give a rat's ass about the peasents of Kings Landing.

3) Ned. I think this is for obvious reasons. He would be like Stannis, but slightly more sympathetic. The only problem is he might do something stupid like tell his arch-enemy that he knows her deepest darkest secret and then let himself get killed.

The greatest threat to the realm is the Others. Only a man who understands that can rule. That means Jon Snow or Stannis Baratheon are the only two men qualified, currently, to be King.

Stannis, however, is an inflexible madman when it comes to "justice". Stanins will never work as King for this reason. It will mean a rebellion all over again when the realm can least afford it.

That means Jon Snow must be King. As his Hand, he needs the wisdom, advice and practicality of Tyrion Lannister or, perhaps, Petyr Baelish.

My problem with Baelish is his cynicism regarding magic and the Others. Were he to have his Third eye opened, as it were, he would serve King Jon as an able Hand.

As between the two, Tyrion at least has a measure of honour; Littlefinger does not.

This quote basically says it all for me. Jon Snow would make the best king, and Tyrion the best hand. I exclude Littlefinger because I kind of want him to die in a situation somehow related to Sansa.

Perhaps Dany would make a good addition (dare I say queen?) since she has the dragons to defeat The Others, but I'm not sure if she'd care enough to fight them or if she'll even survive the trip to Westeros.

jon -king

dany -queen and adviser

tryion- hand

sam -master

selmy- master of arms & on small council

i'm not even considering those that are dead. only what is still possible for the final chapter of book 7.

And I see you did it first! So, basically, this is my vote as well.

Randyll Tarly

No nonsense, gets things done.

The way he put his soldier to work rebuilding Maidenpool is really proactive. The Justice he despenses is harsh and fair.

I like him (even sort of like the choice he gave Sam and am imagining his reaction to Sam's "bastard").

Randyll Tarly

No nonsense, gets things done.

The way he put his soldier to work rebuilding Maidenpool is really proactive. The Justice he despenses is harsh and fair.

I like him (even sort of like the choice he gave Sam and am imagining his reaction to Sam's "bastard").

See, I'd like him more if he hadn't actively given his son a phobia of chains for the purpose of preventing him from becoming a maester...

See, I'd like him more if he hadn't actively given his son a phobia of chains for the purpose of preventing him from becoming a maester...

How could anyone like a guy who told his son he was going to hunt him down because he was a fat coward? I don't think a King should be that cold, lol.

:wideeyed:

Stannis stops warring over the iron throne to help defend The Wall against the Wildlings and The Others.

Yes, after he tried everything else, failed, doesn't have an army to speak of, expects to lose Dragonstone, can't defend and can't make an offensive move against the Lannisters. I would be more impressed with his so-called honor, if he tried using it when he had a choice.

How could anyone like a guy who told his son he was going to hunt him down because he was a fat coward? I don't think a King should be that cold, lol.

Because he put his Lands, bannermen and realm ahead of his family.

I'm sure he loved/loves Sam, but he knew having him as Lord would be another Tytos, Tywins father who got walked all over by everyone.

And I suspect he was still trying to scare him and toughen him up.

Best suited? In terms of actual ability: Kevan and Tyrion Lannister, Stannis - maybe.

In terms of political backing: Dany, Kevan Lannister.

Overall: Dany, if she can learn some humility and bind at least a few of the important houses to her.

Kevan Lannister, through Tommen or Myrcella. He's competent, able, and is already establishing himself. The effects of Cersei's actions have yet to be felt.

Damn. Most of the good candidates have been killed off. :S Now that I think about it, Dany seems like the only real choice.

As for who might make a good hand? In terms of sheer ability, Tyrion. Unfortunately, he has no political backing, and I can see the position being given away as a sop to bind one of the great Houses to the Throne. Then again, if Cersei dies, and Tryion inherits...

There's a part of me that hopes that the end of the series will see the end of the absolute power of king and council and a move towards a more parliamentary system. Let's face it, none of these people are perfect, and the fact of the matter is that being king is far too much power for any one man to hold.

But if I had to snatch someone up from the series and stick them on the throne, I'd probably choose Tommen with a good, decent council. Get people like Tyrion, Stannis, and Davos in there to teach him by example how to be a good ruler and I think he'd grow up to be a great king.

Exactly, he's like Stannis taken to a cruel extreme in a way, especially the absoloute cruelty to his son that even eclipses Tywin's hatred towards Tyrion.

The Dead:

Targs:Baelor, Aegon IV (Egg); Jaehaereys I & Alysanne, Maekar

Honest & Noble Men: Ned, John Arryn

No: Tywin Lannister (too bloodthirsty and too mindful of personnel pride/vanity).

The Living (at present):

1. Tyrion Lannister: all those books have really helped

2. Doran Martell: (knowledgeable, patient, cunning, and possesses a certain honor.

3. The Blackfish: smart, cunning, and possesses both personal and family honor, courageous.

4. Olenna Tyrell (Redwyne): very cunning, astute, and deadly

5. Ser Barristan Selmy: honorable, loyal. Wish he had a little more backbone.

6. Stannis: would bring justice, maybe he'll step back from the edge of madness.

7. Tie: pick one of these capable and honorable men: Howland Reed (don't know enough about him to put him higher); Randall Tarly (seems a bit too cruel to go higher); Kevan Lannister (not as bloodthirsty as Tywin, not as cunning, either).

Generation Next: Not ready quite yet, but growing

1. Danerys: has broad cultural perspective and solid personal ethics, courage. And is one the way to having an outstanding set of advisors (Ser Barriston, Tyrion, Archmaester Marwyn + maybe Varys & Jorah again).

2. Jon Snow: strong loyalty and duty combination (Starks + Watch). Also has a respect for the wildlings/old beliefs, which may be vital going forward.

3. Davos Seaworth: his personal characteristics are fantastic, but needs a bit more worldly knowledge/education to be ready to lead.

4. Sarella Sand (the Sphinx): a Sand snake's courage + a maester's learing + a knowledge of the Arcane.

5. Sansa Stark: a Starks honor learning the game from Littlefinger, could be a fantastic combination.

6. Asha Greyjoy: an Ironborn's courage with some common sense and desire for peace and her people's long term viability & prosperity above her own personal honor.

7. Arianne Martell: has learned a valuable lesson from Doran, strong, smart and capable.

8. Bran Stark: has the furthest to go on his journey, but lots of potential, and has already overcome a lot personally.

There's a part of me that hopes that the end of the series will see the end of the absolute power of king and council and a move towards a more parliamentary system. Let's face it, none of these people are perfect, and the fact of the matter is that being king is far too much power for any one man to hold.

But if I had to snatch someone up from the series and stick them on the throne, I'd probably choose Tommen with a good, decent council. Get people like Tyrion, Stannis, and Davos in there to teach him by example how to be a good ruler and I think he'd grow up to be a great king.

I'd go with Myrcella over Tommen. She seems to be able to think through things very well on her own, in addition to advisers.

I agree that the best way to rule Westeros is simply go back to the independent Kingdoms, for one for the Riverlands or simply move the Captial to Harenhal and make the Riverlands a capital district of some type, have ambassadors from all Kingdoms form a permanent council where their is an elected viceroy that handles univeral coin, military and foreign affairs under control/scrutiny of a multi-kingdom council. Term limit for viceroy and councelors.

Give Dany Kinglanding and dragonstone, Stannis can have storms end in order to appease them but never again an all powerful emperor or king over all. Dany and Stannis would never go for this but it is a thought.

Archived