The wait is killing me

Humble Asskicker

I have been frustrated beyond measure since the Amazon.de thing happened a couple of weeks ago. This weekend, I went around to every place that I could think of in Dallas that might have a copy to sell. I probably stopped at about a half dozen bookstores, and the same amount of grocery store, but couldn't find a place to sell me the book early.

Yesterday, at the end of the day, I decided that if I couldn't get an early copy, then at least I was going to buy myself a tablet or ereader so I could download the book at midnight and start reading as soon as possible. I stopped at FRY's electronics, and decided to buy a Coby Kyros tablet. (Do not buy this as it is the worst piece of electronic equipment that I have EVER used, but that rant is another subject) On purchasing the tablet, I asked the salesperson on the floor if they had a copy of a Dance With Dragons. He said yes.

This is where the story really gets interesting. He could not find it on the shelf of course, so I asked him if he could check the back of the store for me. I stood there, anxiously awaiting, and he returned almost immediately with the book, and handed it over to me. There it was. After an 11 year wait, I finally had the book. I could find out what was happening to my favorite characters. I was shaking I was so exited.

I took the book, and the tablet up to the checkout counter, and gave it to the cashier. They scanned both items and then looked at me and said. "I am sorry sir, but this book has not been released yet, We can not sell it to you." and then nonchalantly placed it to the side behind the counter.

I HAD IT IN MY HANDS !!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!

(oh well, I can not wait till tonight)

WOW! I felt the same as you after the Amazon debacle.

Friday I went to my local Barnes&Noble and asked if they received ADWD. The clerk said yes, but that it would be put on sale on the 12th (curses!). He also said that they had gotten 39 copies (is that a lot?)

On another note, I plan to skip over the sample chapters once I get the book. I've read them several times, and the last read was about a week ago. I did the same thing with the last two Wheel of Time novels.

I have been frustrated beyond measure since the Amazon.de thing happened a couple of weeks ago. This weekend, I went around to every place that I could think of in Dallas that might have a copy to sell. I probably stopped at about a half dozen bookstores, and the same amount of grocery store, but couldn't find a place to sell me the book early.

Yesterday, at the end of the day, I decided that if I couldn't get an early copy, then at least I was going to buy myself a tablet or ereader so I could download the book at midnight and start reading as soon as possible. I stopped at FRY's electronics, and decided to buy a Coby Kyros tablet. (Do not buy this as it is the worst piece of electronic equipment that I have EVER used, but that rant is another subject) On purchasing the tablet, I asked the salesperson on the floor if they had a copy of a Dance With Dragons. He said yes.

This is where the story really gets interesting. He could not find it on the shelf of course, so I asked him if he could check the back of the store for me. I stood there, anxiously awaiting, and he returned almost immediately with the book, and handed it over to me. There it was. After an 11 year wait, I finally had the book. I could find out what was happening to my favorite characters. I was shaking I was so exited.

I took the book, and the tablet up to the checkout counter, and gave it to the cashier. They scanned both items and then looked at me and said. "I am sorry sir, but this book has not been released yet, We can not sell it to you." and then nonchalantly placed it to the side behind the counter.

I HAD IT IN MY HANDS !!!!!!!!!!! ARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH !!!!

(oh well, I can not wait till tonight)

That is so awful! Lol :) honestly I have not gone to any physical stores to look for fear of that same situation. I dont doubt that maybe somewhere I could find a store with some dopey employees who can't read a date on a box and put then out early, but you can't fool a computer system that's been told the book isn't supposed to be sold yet. I wouldn't be able to deal with that frustration of having it be right there and not being able to buy it. I'd probably just throw some cash in their face and make a run for it :) all the better that it's almost here I guess

WOW! I felt the same as you after the Amazon debacle.

Friday I went to my local Barnes&Noble and asked if they received ADWD. The clerk said yes, but that it would be put on sale on the 12th (curses!). He also said that they had gotten 39 copies (is that a lot?)

On another note, I plan to skip over the sample chapters once I get the book. I've read them several times, and the last read was about a week ago. I did the same thing with the last two Wheel of Time novels.

Do NOT do this (skip over sample chapters). Someone who has read the book posted here earlier that the sample chapters have had major changes in them, as a result of Martin's rewrites.

Do NOT do this (skip over sample chapters). Someone who has read the book posted here earlier that the sample chapters have had major changes in them, as a result of Martin's rewrites.

Exactly. Look at the dates on the sample chapters and you'll realize that they are for the most part very old. Given that there are only four of them, it doesn't really make sense to skip over them anyway.

checked my email from amazon .. it says .. shipped by lasership.. not usps or ups even fedex but lasership ...what in the world is lasership? is it coming by spaceship by lasers? on a ship w lasers?

Lol that would be cool. Amazon occasionally uses weird senders--I've gotten stuff shipped from them by a company called Ensenda before, and it still worked out fine, somehow. Presumably yours will also come it okay...

GOT IT!!!!!! Love My Kindle:-D

Me too :) Too bad I had to wait 6 hours to finish work (well, I read the prologue during lunch). Now, excuse me, I have an old friend called Jon Snow waiting for me ;)

Lol that would be cool. Amazon occasionally uses weird senders--I've gotten stuff shipped from them by a company called Ensenda before, and it still worked out fine, somehow. Presumably yours will also come it okay...

man ... now the wait for the delivery guy is more exciting than the book itself ...

Archived