The Logistics of Dancing with Dragons

Depends. How long does an amazon package usually take to get to you? Do you have 2 day shipping?

For example, 3-5 day shipping to me in Manhattan usually takes one business day - I think they have a depot somewhere in NJ. However, when I was in school in Syracuse NY, it was usually 3-4 biz days.

In the US many times the book arrives ON the release date. It depends on your location I guess. But if you preordered there's a good chance it will arrive on Tuesday, maybe Wednesday, so I'd think you'd be fine. If not, check an airport bookstore on your way out

When this same situation was going on with the release of the Harry Potter books, I always received my book from Amazon ON the official release date itself. In other words, Amazon calculates shipping time from their house to your house using USPS postal zones, so that your book arrives on the release date. I remember the day my HP book was due, I called my local post office and asked them to hold it there rather than send it out with the delivery person. My mail isn't delivered until very late afternoon, and I wasn't going to wait that long. Drove to the post office that morning--and there was a line of people waiting at the counter for their HP books! They'd done the exact same thing I did!

:P

When I called them last week to see if I could change my shipping order to Amazon.jp, they emailed that they would be shipping my copy 2 day delivery on 7-8-11. (which is today). As of now, it still says not yet shipped.

Inquiring minds would like to know. I'm flying to my Brother's wedding next Friday and I'm really hoping for a Thursday delivery. Is this hope specious?

If you preordered it before this week, you should get it on the release day. If you are only ordering it now, unless you add expedited shipping, that isn't guaranteed...you might not get it until Thursday or Friday.

My question would be: when (at what time) will the book be available via Kindle/Nook?

12:01 AM West Coast time. So if you are in California, you get it at 12:01 AM but if you are in New York you have to wait until 3:01 AM.

If you preordered it before this week, you should get it on the release day. If you are only ordering it now, unless you add expedited shipping, that isn't guaranteed...you might not get it until Thursday or Friday.

12:01 AM West Coast time. So if you are in California, you get it at 12:01 AM but if you are in New York you have to wait until 3:01 AM.

Correct for Kindle. Nook's (well, BN's) headquartered in New York, so they're 12:01am Eastern. (And 9:01 Pacific, if I'm reading users' reports correctly!)

ETA: Sorry, I should have commented on the original topic too, since I meant to. My understanding is that the ADwD 2-day shipping (if preordered) guarantees release day delivery. It said that when I ordered, but at this point I'd doublecheck that the page actually says as much when you order. With that in mind, one would think that (if USPS) they'd have to go out Saturday at the latest or (if a carrier that processes all weekend) Sunday. I keep hoping they'll ship them today, to give buffer (and arrive early), but... in reality, they'll probably ship the bulk of them Monday, and treat it as an overnight/expedited delivery.

in reality, they'll probably ship the bulk of them Monday, and treat it as an overnight/expedited delivery.

Totally agree. I just checked mine at Amazon and it says delivery on Tuesday, July 12, but also says 'not shipped yet.'

Amazon.com delivered my pre-ordered, much-anticipated copy of "A Wise Man's Fear" by Federal Express on the morning of the release date, which was quite a surprise because I requested the usual two-day delivery, which is free with Amazon Prime. With all the interest in ADWD, I'm hoping Amazon delivers early on the release date again, but unless there's some glitch, I do not expect early delivery. Damn.

Inquiring minds would like to know. I'm flying to my Brother's wedding next Friday and I'm really hoping for a Thursday delivery. Is this hope specious?

Sub-text you want to spend your Brother's wedding reading ADWD? ;)

Personally with Amazon pre-orders to date I've received the item on or the day before the offical release date, but that's coming via UK Royal Mail mind you from where ever Amazon warehouses their stock in Europe.

ETA: Amazon sending out 180 copies two weeks before release date is a disaster, but so is having tens of thousands of copies arriving after the release date. If I was in Amazon's position I would be looking to dispatch as early as decently possible to ensure that copies arrived on release date to maximise customer satisfaction.

Aren't all new releases(US) on a Tuesday? This isn't something new they've had to plan for so it shouldn't be to difficult for them to get the book out ON the release date. that being said, Amazon has sent me emails on Saturdays saying that an item has shipped.

I have Amazon Prime and chose the free 2 day delivery and they said it would arrive on the 12th. I order from Amazon A LOT (as in around once a week) and they can get a package to you that they mail the day before, ezpk. Don't worry if they haven't sent yours yet. Considering that the other novels are on the NYT Bestseller list again, I'm sure they've gotten tons of orders for ADWD and I'm sure they'll be able to handle it.

Lummel,

I'm flying there and back next weekend. Prime reading time.

OK, OK, just checking!

Make sure to relax and unwind once you arrive. Tasting the wine for poison and checking the musicians for weapons might not be appreciated by non-fans.

And no sneaky peaking either!

Archived