A few questions I have.

Hello. Just a few things I've been wondering about A Game of Thrones that I hope someone may be able to answer/put some kind of answer together that fits into the lore of the series. Thanks.

1.) How long did King Robert and his entourage stay in Winterfell?

2.) Is Maester Aemon aware of the goings-on involving Daenerys and Viserys?

3.) Does Gendry really have no clue about his origins, even after visits from 2 seperate Hand's of the King, and the King's brother?

4.) Are Ser Loras Tyrell and Lord Renly Baratheon gay? (in the books)

5.) Who was King Robert's other Lannister squire, and what happened to him/where is he after Robert's death?

6.) What is the significance with Lord Robert Arryn supposedly being fostered to Stannis and not Tywin?

There's more somewhere, but that's all I can think of for now.

1) Not certain, but I think it was around a couple weeks

2) Probably not.

3) Yeah, probably.

4) Yes.

5) Which one? Lancel or Tyrek? Well, TBH, both of them remain in KL for the duration.

6) Jon made the deal for Stannis, but Robert set up the plans with Tywin. I think it's mainly to emphasize the connections between Robert and Tywin and Stannis with Jon.

I also have one question that bugged me ever since the first time I read Game of Thrones. I always thought that one's past and nobility no longer mattered once one's accepted into the Night's Watch, so I don't understand why Raymar Royce was given command of the ranging in the prologue??

The ideals of the Night's Watch are not necessarily the reality. Notice that all men may be brothers in the Watch... but the Lord Commander and the senior officers are all noblemen, and sit separately from everyone else at the mess hall.

The ideals of the Night's Watch are not necessarily the reality. Notice that all men may be brothers in the Watch... but the Lord Commander and the senior officers are all noblemen, and sit separately from everyone else at the mess hall.

However, the NW remain one of the more comparatively equal organizations. There apparently was a commoner officer, Blane, and Cotter Pyke, as the son of a tavern wench, likely was also a commoner.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello. Just a few things I've been wondering about A Game of Thrones that I hope someone may be able to answer/put some kind of answer together that fits into the lore of the series. Thanks.

2.) Is Maester Aemon aware of the goings-on involving Daenerys and Viserys?

3.) Does Gendry really have no clue about his origins, even after visits from 2 seperate Hand's of the King, and the King's brother?

4.) Are Ser Loras Tyrell and Lord Renly Baratheon gay? (in the books)

5.) Who was King Robert's other Lannister squire, and what happened to him/where is he after Robert's death?

6.) What is the significance with Lord Robert Arryn supposedly being fostered to Stannis and not Tywin?

There's more somewhere, but that's all I can think of for now.

3) It's heavily implied in a later book that Gendry does know. Or at least strongly suspects it.

• 2 weeks later...

6. Jon wanted to foster Sweetrobin to Stannis before he died, whereas King Robert thought to foster him with Tywin after Jon's death. The importance is not really revealed until several books later (AFFC, IIRC). If you think hard enough you might puzzle it out, but i never got it until later.

• 4 years later...

1) Not certain, but I think it was around a couple weeks

I wondered about this too, mostly as far as it pertains to the direwolves and how quickly they seem to grow. They're found, as newborn pups, after Ned Stark executes Gared of the Watch. Shortly after that, he learns the king is coming. Not long after that, as Jon Snow observes all the guests from the king's court, we are told his direwolf is three times smaller than a dog from the kennels. Not long after that, Bran's life is saved by his direwolf, who is big and strong enough to rip a man's throat out.

The timeline seems rather vague and muddled.

They remain in WF for about a month.

• Royal party arrives; Robert asks Ned to be the Hand and proposes a marriage between Joff and Sansa
  • A few days later Ned, Cat and Luwin discuss this: Luwin says that "a few days ago" Benjen spoke to him about Jon wanting to join the NW and we know Benjen arrived at the welcome feast itself, which was on the same day of the royal party's arrival, and Jon had said to Benjen he wanted to become a brother of the NW. During that dicussion between Cat, Ned and Luwin they conclude that Ned will accept being the hand, that Sansa will be wed to Joff and Jon will join the NW, and that it would take a fortnight to prepare. Anyhow, most likely the discussion happens on the 3rd night after the feast and arrival. The fortnight preparation would thus start ticking the following day.
  • Bran's chapter telling us that they plan to leave for KL the following day, but then he falls
  • Jon's chapter where he gives Needle to Arya and says his goodbye to Bran informs us that Cat has sit in vigil beside Bran's bed for "nigh a fortnight".

So we have 3 to 4 days + 13 days + 12 to13 days = 28 to 30 days

Archived