READ FIRST: Rules

Ran

• This is the ONLY place to discuss A Dance with Dragons through August 12th. After that, spoilers will be permitted in other areas.
  • Topics must be approved by moderators before they go live. There's only so many of us, so please, show a bit of patience.
  • ALL topics must have [ADwD Spoilers] at the start of the title. This is to make it easier for people to distinguish them when they look for new posts.
  • ALL topics must have non-spoilery titles. Topics with spoilers in the title will not be approved. If you can't find a vague way to name your topic, try something like 'Regarding Jon 5' or something of the sort.

Spoiler code is not mandatory within topic threads, but be sensitive to other readers who may not have read as far as you. If you have managed to burn through most of the book, it'd be wisest to use spoiler code if entering a topic where others are earlier on. To use spoiler code, do this:

[spoiler]Spoiler Text[/spoiler]
[/code]

Edited by Ran

Do they need to be approved via PM?

No. All topics are automatically un-approved upon creation. The Moderators will comb through the forum regularly and sort out the ones that should be approved.

My understanding is that pre-ADwD, ADwD spoilers were from readings and such. I think at this point in time, users of the wiki are free to update with ADwD information, although if it's on a character page it should be given an ADwD heading and placed under information from prior novels, so that people are not necessarily spoiled immediately.

• ALL topics must have [ADwD Spoilers] at the start of the title. This is to make it easier for people to distinguish them when they look for new posts.

I submitted a new topic post (my first) and forgot to add the [ADWD Spoilers] label in the topic subject line. Actually I didn't forget, I thought that was a default if you posted there and didn't realize my mistake until I re-read this. Is there any way to retrieve and fix?

Additionally, before you start a new thread, browse the first few pages of the ADwD forum to see if a topic on that subject has already come up. For instance, there are already extensive threads on Jon's parentage, "Reek" and Septa Lemore. Add your voice to existing discussions, please.

Edited by Angalin

Additionally, before you start a new thread, browse the first few pages of the ADwD forum to see if a topic on that subject has already come up. For instance, there are already extensive threads on Jon's parentage, "Reek" and Septa Lemore. Add your voice to existing discussions, please.

By accident I just submitted a topic that is already being discussed (more or less) on page 15. I'm so sorry!! I don't know how to go about removing it since it isn't up, so I just wanted to let you know that it shouldn't be approved. Ugh, I fail at life sorry to complicate your life as a mod!

I submitted a new topic post (my first) and forgot to add the [ADWD Spoilers] label in the topic subject line. Actually I didn't forget, I thought that was a default if you posted there and didn't realize my mistake until I re-read this. Is there any way to retrieve and fix?

I made the same mistake. How do I fix it?

An important note:

If you have submitted a topic and it has not appeared, please do not submit it again. It's either in the queue or it has not been approved (for whatever reason). Either way, submitting it again is just making more work for no reason.

By accident I just submitted a topic that is already being discussed (more or less) on page 15. I'm so sorry!! I don't know how to go about removing it since it isn't up, so I just wanted to let you know that it shouldn't be approved. Ugh, I fail at life sorry to complicate your life as a mod!

This seems to be a common problem, mostly due to the lack of a functioning search feature. Is this disabled on purpose, or is it part of an update or something? It has been down for a while now. It also hampers the "My Content" feature.

Some of the discussions right now are getting pretty heated. Would you be willing to issue some kind of rule against people dropping how many English PHD's they have into arguments?

I mean seriously.

If you think there is a specific post that goes against the forum rules, please use the report function.

We will endeavour to get to it in due course.

Thanks.

This seems to be a common problem, mostly due to the lack of a functioning search feature. Is this disabled on purpose, or is it part of an update or something? It has been down for a while now. It also hampers the "My Content" feature.

Some board functions have been disabled on purpose to help reduce SQL errors. There's an easy alternative to the board search - just use Google, including 'asoiaf.westeros.org' as one of your search terms.

Some of the discussions right now are getting pretty heated. Would you be willing to issue some kind of rule against people dropping how many English PHD's they have into arguments?

I mean seriously.

That's a feature, not a bug. It'd take longer to know when you're arguing with a tool if they changed it. ;)

But seriously, unless the argument is about how many PhDs they have, just tell them to quit using an Appeal to Authority Fallacy and provide a real counter to your claim.

Just curious... Is there a current estimate for "turn around time" for a threads submission and a Mod's :thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: ? And if a thread isn't approved for whatever reason, is there some way the person submitting would know? I'm guessing an individual PM would create even more work for an already overburdened crew of mods. Thanks. :)

Just curious... Is there a current estimate for "turn around time" for a threads submission and a Mod's :thumbsup: or :thumbsdown: ? And if a thread isn't approved for whatever reason, is there some way the person submitting would know? I'm guessing an individual PM would create even more work for an already overburdened crew of mods. Thanks. :)

How long it takes depends on whether there's a mod available, which is obviously going to lead to a wide variance in approval times. Sometimes it's minutes, sometimes it's hours. If it takes longer than that... it probably hasn't been approved.

As for PMs, I'm afraid that's not going to happen. For one thing the board spends a lot of time in performance mode, which makes them impossible at those times, and for another it would be quite a lot of work - frequently we're deciding on five or six new threads at a time.

The advice is: if you want to make sure your new thread gets approved, make sure it is properly labelled, make sure it is in line with the other board rules, and make sure it is genuinely covering substantial new ground. Not every new thought requires a new thread - sometimes they make better contributions to an existing discussion.

(We're being very strict on approving new threads just now because of high traffic: once this slows a bit, you may find we're a bit more relaxed.)

Some board functions have been disabled on purpose to help reduce SQL errors. There's an easy alternative to the board search - just use Google, including 'asoiaf.westeros.org' as one of your search terms.

Great idea, thanks!