[ADWD spoilers] around page 100

Eustace Black

Taking a break for a bit and I just finished the Jon chapter in which you see the other side of his exchange with Sam, and then the way in which he deals with Janos Slynt. The whole chapter was great,

Jon recalling how Maester Aemon told 'Egg' to kill the boy in him and that he implored Jon to do the same was a nice touch. Then Jon proclaiming that he won't hang Janos, proceeding to behead him instead was awesome. So far 3 Stark(well 2 and a bastard) men have beheaded someone, which considering what happened to the other 2 doesn't fill me with much hope.

Anyway, break's over, back to it.

I'm around this point too. One thing that has really impressed me is the character development of Tyrion, his second chapter was excellent! I quite like our high and mighty adventurer Quentyn Martell too.

It was a good chapter, but I don't think we needed to conversation with Sam all over again. There have been plenty of cases where characters have interacted with each other (most notably probably Tyrion and Sansa for most of aCoK and aSoS) and events were always only shown once. Sure it was only 2-3 pages, but, considering how tight the book already is, something else could have fit into that space.

I think having the scene from both Sam and Jon's viewpoint was necessary because of the split. If the book wasn't split we would probably have only had the Jon version.

I actually disagree. I think we would have gotten the Sam version in the absence of the split, unless GRRM had gotten rid of any reference to the switch in Jon's thoughts. Sam's immediate arc would have lost a fair bit of oomph if we found out about the switch before Sam does, one example of why creating a chronological combined Feast with Dragons might not be the best way to go.

I actually disagree. I think we would have gotten the Sam version in the absence of the split, unless GRRM had gotten rid of any reference to the switch in Jon's thoughts. Sam's immediate arc would have lost a fair bit of oomph if we found out about the switch before Sam does, one example of why creating a chronological combined Feast with Dragons might not be the best way to go.

Yeah this is one of the main things I've noticed while reading aDwD, wondering how they will do the HBO version. If they do end up mixing both the books together over two seasons like they said they likely will then a lot of aFfCs little shocks and mysteries loose their oomph as you say. Getting everything from one PoV then quickly followed by the other looses the effect of the rumors and stories passed to one PoV when the other isn't seen on screen/page for an extended amount of time. Joining them will loose a lot of the story effect GRRM was able to get from the PoV splits.

• 1 month later...

Archived