The Winds of Winter: The latest info (updated 10 July 2022)

Werthead

Well lets consider what still needs to happen. The biggest factor that would push the series to eight books is Dany. The fact that she still hasn't even started moving towards Westeros just baffles me. Another factor is that he keeps adding point of views that makes it harder to finish the series in two books.

Victarion, the Volantenes, the Dothraki, the Yunkai, New Ghis, Tolos, Mantarys, and the Quartheen are all converging on Meereen. That makes me believe that this war will be decided in one massive battle. In the end I think Dany will end up in control of the Yunkish, Quartheen, and Volantene slave armies, the iron fleet (through a trick of the Black Flame) and her three dragons with the help of Tyrion and Second Sons, and the Tattered Prince. I think she can do all this and then set sail by the end of the next book. With the naritives of Tyrion, Victarion, Ser Barristan, Dany, and any Dothraki POV's it should be possible.

Her arrival is going to be made easier by the golden company and Aegon( who I think is a Phony) but he can still help clear the way for her. After stopping in Pentos to pay the TP's price, they can land in Dorne and extend out from there.

I think the Boltons will be resolved in the next book and Stannis and Rickon will be in charge of the north by the end of the next book. Stannis will go up north to sort out the wall. The Lannisters, Tyrells, and Redwynes will, be stuck between Stannis in the north, The Ironmen on the west, the seeled Vale to the east, and the Targs to the south.

Bran will be up north learning the history.

Jon will be alive on some quest going south to winterfell to save Mance and his sister, with Milisandre's help.

Sansa will be trying to escape from Littlefinger eventually

Arya will at some point come to a moral decision were she can become a FM by killing someone who is innocent in her mind or leaving and becoming embracing her identity as Arya Stark, the Nightwolf.

Rickon will finally get a POV and be Taken by Davos with Osha back to Winterfell to claim his seat.

Brienne will have to make a moral decision whether to kill Jaime or convince Catylen that she's batshit crazy

That's one book to wrap up all these issues and then the seventh books for all the linguring issues to be resolved. The Others, AA/LH/TPTWP, Jon's identity, Bran as a tree, Rickon as Lord of Winterfell, Sansa true knight to rescue her, Arya the nightwolf the warrior princess and reconnecting with Nymeria and Gendry in the riverlands. Dany winning the war for the south convincing Stannis to submit, Finding the other two heads, and taking the dragons to the wall for the last battle for the world with the others, the three betrayals, mounts, and such, and Dany and Jon/Agon claiming the thrones, fullfilling the song of Ice(jon) and Fire(Dany).

Making some big assumptions concerning Jon and Daenerys there. I wouldn't expect Jon to be dead, but he'll be going no where for a while. Marsh and his men will have made their point well. He must stay on the Wall.

And while Daenerys may appear to have been saved, it's by her opposing Dothraki warriors. I think they'll join her, as they recognise the power she holds via Drogon and co. but it'll be a tough slog for her, before then.

I agree the biggest bottleneck on storyline is Dany, for two reasons:

1. Her storyline has more factors into it than that of the North, or King's Landing.

2. We prefer reading about the North and King's Landing than Mereen, making it even more imperative to finish hers faster.

This feels like we'll need an eighth book, and GRRM is being very cagy re committing to finish in seven. Discussion of the title of the book to be added between Winter and Spring to commence at any time.

Yes, GRRM says he has to finish latest Dunk and Egg work, finish clean up on Blackwater script, finish Elio and Linda's compendium book, outline the next Wild Cards book and do several tours before starting active writing on WoW in early 2012. This actually seems like a smart move - he needs some time away from the story to remain fresh.

Rob

True, didn't think of that.

I made a bet with a friend today too; he said the Leafs will win the Stanley Cup before GRRM finishes the series...

If either one happens within the next 5 years I will be one happy SOB.

Well some ex and would have been leafs won the Cup this year (Rask, Seguin, Kaberle). If you can't tell, I'm a Bruins fan.

Didn't GRRM mention at some point a year or two ago that he had completed three Arya chapters for ADWD but moved one of those into TWOW, making her another known POV? I think he made the comment in the context of having so much fun writing her chapters that he wrote more than he planned.

Edited by RandAllThor

Didn't GRRM mention at some point a year or two ago that he had completed three Arya chapters for ADWD but moved one of those into TWOW, making her another known POV? I think he made the comment in the context of having so much fun writing her chapters that he wrote more than he planned.

Yup, I just checked the Dance with Dragons info thread to make sure. Guess that can be added to the OP.

In terms of the tours mentioned elsewhere, we do have Olympus 2012, with GRRM. It's the UK's biggest SF&F lit-con, sharing a cachet alongside Worldcon and NASFIC, so I'd be hoping he'll have something for us there.

There's a chance it'll be from Dunk & Egg 4 rather than Winds, though.

I only came to this series after watching episode one of GoT, but the books are always better and I'm so glad! I'll wait forever, as long as we find out one way or another! Anne Rice's sister died before she could finish her series, so now I'll never know how it ends :(

At least fans of ASOIAF now have the tv series to keep them busy until the next masterpiece comes out.

I've read somewhere that Storm of Swords will be split into two seasons, or extended by several episodes (16-20).

However, with the mounting expenses of each season, HBO may pull a Rome on us and cancel it after the second season.

Well don't forget that Rome was supposed to be a mini-series and never have a second season anyway. A big part of why there were only 2 seasons was because there was originally only money put away for one. If HBO wants to make a run with Game of Thrones, they can plan accordingly.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...