Are you bias toward certain states?

Colder Hands

so i saw a post that i rolled my eyes at recently and i saw the posted was from xyz state and instantly caught myself thinking "OK, makes sense then..."

are there any states that you have stereotypes about that you automatically go to when you hear that states name or a person says they are from there?

i'll take the easy way out to try and not offend too many and say Rhode Island and penis envy

but really, joking aside, i have a lot of these...

my wife for example hates to tell people she is from Long Island because of what they will automatically assume about her (i know it's not a state people, i'm not from Alabama).

Probably all of them. Well, except for California, towards which I have so many prejudices that they sort of cancel each other out.

It's easy for Canada though: Everyone who doesn't live in Toronto (and I mean Toronto--you 905ers don't count) is either a hick or a self-important wanker, filled with resentment and envy, hypocritically suckling on the Bay St teat.

so i saw a post that i rolled my eyes at recently and i saw the posted was from xyz state and instantly caught myself thinking "OK, makes sense then..."

are there any states that you have stereotypes about that you automatically go to when you hear that states name or a person says they are from there?

i'll take the easy way out to try and not offend too many and say Rhode Island and penis envy

but really, joking aside, i have a lot of these...

my wife for example hates to tell people she is from Long Island because of what they will automatically assume about her (i know it's not a state people, i'm not from Alabama).

I have a minor bias towards California and Washington... and most of the North Eastern States, anyone that I encounter from a state that is east of Kansas and north of Arkansas has to prove that they are not an idiot or a douche-bag in order to get passed my presumptions of such. I know that there are many good people in all of those states, I just have a preformed view (a prejudice, if you will) that tells me the populace in those states must be comprised of at least 90% worthlessness (based upon those that I have encountered).

If you are from Missouri, you are raised to understand Kansas drivers CANT drive, and Arkansas people are inbred. Oh and Oklahoma got the shitty end of the stick.

After reading material on the Civil War and the bootlegging, I realized a lot of this state against state, in this area, it started with the civil war. Darn Kansas people would just tie up their horses anywhere, didn't care if they crossed the parking lines or not. grrrrrr

Texas. Any state with that much unjustified hubris needs to be taken a few notches early and often.

It's really the Freddie Mitchell of states.

See, but by acknowledging us you've justified our hubris. We bask in your hate.

As a Texan, I have fairly severe biases against Oklahoma, Florida, and California, along with lesser but still important biases against New Mexico, Arkansas, and the rest of the South (we see ourselves as better than our Southern compatriots). Paradoxically, we simultaneously identify ourselves in the Southern bloc with regards to Nothern states, over which we feel enormously superior.

However, allow me to be the first to acknowledge that our cultural hubris is undeserved, vile, and rightly returned in spades.

Yes, but I don't automatically think people from those states are stupid. Seeing where a poster was from wouldn't trigger it in me. Car license plates when accompanied by poor or confused driving at this time of year in my area, that's a trigger. People that suggest they might move to said state or retire there, that triggers it. And discussion of politics with one state in particular triggers a tirade.

Btw, Long Island is really pretty. It's Staten Island people should be ashamed of. :D

However, allow me to be the first to acknowledge that our cultural hubris is undeserved, vile, and rightly returned in spades.

Damnit! Had this entire list ready to unload on Texas and you completely defused that.

I hate this reasonable board and everyone on it.

See, but by acknowledging us you've justified our hubris. We bask in your hate.

As a Texan, I have fairly severe biases against Oklahoma, Florida, and California, along with lesser but still important biases against New Mexico, Arkansas, and the rest of the South (we see ourselves as better than our Southern compatriots). Paradoxically, we simultaneously identify ourselves in the Southern bloc with regards to Nothern states, over which we feel enormously superior.

What does Texas have against Florida and California? And poor Oklahoma, why so much hate? It seems so innocuous.

I find Texans and Texas Pride very amusing. I really dug the Texas History Museum. They have a full sized stuffed longhorn. How can you not love that?

I find the entire Bible belt to be pretty annoying. I am from Southern CA, but currently live in a suburb of Kansas City.

The way people say certain things still drives me nuts. No enunciation.

There's also a disparity in income when it comes to race that is easily seen when driving downtown.

Everyone is their stereotypical stereotype out here.

The whole "God Hates Fags" Fred Phelps bullshit makes me vomit a little every time I see them out with their signs. Children in tow. Disgusting.

(we see ourselves as better than our Southern compatriots).

Esse quam vederi, bitch. That's North Carolina for ya.

I have bias against South Carolina (the southern state that doesn't know when to shut up), Texas (the southern state that thinks its better than and set apart from other southern states), and Florida (and the non-southern state in the deep South).

my fanatical pro-Oregon chauvinism should be a known commodity by now. Other than that, I have mild anti-Californian prejudice based on my negative experiences with "people" from both SF and LA.

From my time in the [great] state of Michigan, I also have a sadly paternalistic, head-shaking sense of pity for the entire rust belt. EXCEPT for Ohio: ironically enough, although I didn't develop any affinity for Michigan whatsoever, I *did* inherit UM's fanatical, nigh-Hitlerian vitriol against the Buckeye State, home to Morlocks, inbreds, and tattoo-bedecked disgraced ex-quarterbacks.

my experiences have also led me to suspect that some people living along the northern half of I-95 believe the world to be a much smaller place than it actually is, with their senses of self-worth adjusted accordingly.

Archived