[ADWD SPOILERS] Prologue p. 3-15 US HC

Brewmaster

I really liked that chapter. My favorite prologue of the series.

I agree, its up there among my favorites. Great characterization of sixskins.

I wonder if the wolves got away. 3 out of 4 prologue POVs (before ADWD) died in their prologue, though you could argue sixskins died whether or not one eye survived with him inside him. I suspect Jon and/or Ghost may have a run in with a one-eyed wolf later.

I forgot Mel spontaneously combusted Varymyr's eagle in battle at the Wall. That chick's got powah!!

I agree warg failed attempt at taking over another person =/= Other. I think if that was the case then there would only be about 3 Others in the whole of existence, given non-up themselves wargs generally regard taking over another person as an abomination.

Didn't really understand the prologue, but that might be because I was reading it sort of fast in order to get to the character chapters. Makes me wonder more about how wights are created...

P.S First time posting, its really cool that there is a "still reading" forum chapter-by-chapter! It's always fun to discuss what happened in the story and give reactions ^_^

After reading this I got confused. Damn, now I'm thinking of rereading I had to reread the prologue instead of reading on.

First I wonder if you differentiate between wights and others. Because for me Others are those we have only seen in the very first Prologue: those icey-laughing shimmering dudes with the ice swords.

After reread: Yes, there definitly weren't any Others there, or at least not visibly. Thistle has become a wight, as she's described wearing clothes like all the other zombies.

[...]Tall, it was, and gaunt and hard as old bones, with flesh pale as milk. Its armor seemed to change color as it moved; here it was white as new-fallen snow, there black as shadow, everywhere dappled with the deep grey-green of the trees. The patterns ran like moonlight on water with every step it took.

[...]

In its hand was a longsword like none that Will had ever seen. No human metal had gone into the forging of that blade. It was alive with moonlight, translucent, a shard of crystal so thin that it seemed almost to vanish when seen edge-on. There was a faint blue shimmer to the thing, a ghost-light that played around its edges, and somehow Will knew it was sharper than any razor.

[...]

shifting patterns of their delicate armor making them all but invisible in the wood[...]

So I think it was all about getting the north beyond the wall described and getting introduced to a man, who's recently seen this:

A great elk trumpeted, unsettling the children clinging to his back.

Anyways, I don't know where else to post this, but it would be very helpful if someone could post a sticky in this forum with the full list of all chapters and enumerate them (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Jon 2, Dany 2, etc). Props if it includes page count &/or Kindle %. Would make finding the thread I want to discuss much easier.

I have my plate full right now just modding the forum, so if you or anyone would like to make a thread with this information, I'll fact check it against my US hardcover and then approve the thread. It took me damned near an hour just to create the threads that exist thus far, and I'm only about halfway through the book. I'll probably finish the rest of the threads this evening. :)

I have my plate full right now just modding the forum, so if you or anyone would like to make a thread with this information, I'll fact check it against my US hardcover and then approve the thread. It took me damned near an hour just to create the threads that exist thus far, and I'm only about halfway through the book. I'll probably finish the rest of the threads this evening. :)

Alright then, I don't have page count as I'm reading on a kindle or percentages, but this is the list of chapters with enumeration: (copied by hand so they might not be perfect)

Spoilers if you don't want to see the chapter list

Prologue

Tyrion

Daenerys

Jon

Bran

Tyrion 2

The Mercant's Man

Jon 2

Tyrion 3

Davos

Jon 3

Daenerys 2

Reek

Bran 2

Tyrion 4

Davos 2

Daenerys 3

Jon 4

Tyrion 5

Davos 3

Reek 2

Jon 5

Tyrion 6

Daenerys 4

The Lost Lord

The windblown

The Wayward Bride

Tyrion 7

Jon 6

Davos 4

Daenerys 5

Melisandre

Reek 3

Tyrion 8

Bran 3

Jon 7

Daenerys 6

The Prince of Winterfell

The Watcher

Jon 8

The Blind Girl

A Ghost in Winterfell

Tyrion 9

Jaime

Jon 9

Daenerys 7

Theon

Daenerys 8

Jon 10

Cersei

the Queensguard

The Iron Suitor

Tyrion 10

Jon 11

The Discarded Knight

The Spurned Suitor

The Griffin Reborn

The Sacrifice

Victarion

The Ugly Little Girl

Cersei 2

Tyrion 11

The Kingbreaker

The Dragontamer

Jon 12

The Queen's Hand

Daenerys 9

Epilogue

Definitely a failed Human WARGing that ended up killing them both. However where Thistle was left dead to be wighted by the passing Others, something crazy happened to Lump. He achieved total oneness with the Universe in death :) Warging into every living thing nearby. But somehow was able to direct his Warging attention back to seek the most willing host nearby, One-eye.

His second life will be within One-eye as he slowly merges with the wolf.

What's odd is that he thinks Thistle-wight recognizes him. Is that just his paranoia, or does Thistle have some extra sense of him or Wargers now?

I heard that warging into creatures that fly like eagles for one is very difficult. Actually it's not recommended at all. If you read the prologue, Lump's mentor told him not to even bother.

I don't think it mentioned anything about the difficulty of the actual warging, just that those who warg into birds tend to want to remain warged and let their human body suffer.

My impression was the Varamyr attempted to Warg into thistle who resisted fiercely and somehow won the struggle, causing him to revert into One-Eye. This was around the same time as an Other attack so when he sees Thistle after the struggle, she has been converted into a wight by the Others who attacked.

I don't think a failed human-human warg is the origin of the Others

My understanding is that he tried to warg into her and she resisted. She couldn't throw him out but she clawed at herself and bit at her tongue and due to the pain and realizing that getting into the wolf would more likely lead him to survive in some form (tongue bleeding can kill you easy) he retreated back into the wolf.

My take on it is that Varamyr had warged into Thistle and they were fighting for control when the Others took her. Sixskins then dies in the real world leaving only his residual consciousness in the wolf. Or something like that. Glad he's dead. Beastly man.

Agreed, he warged into a wolf, then looked back and saw himself and Thistle.

Since every Prologue POV dies, this one was a little tricky. Varamyr did die as a human, but went on to live as a wolf (Second Life)

Will he survive? UnThistle might kill him. I wonder if we'll ever One Eye/Varamyr again.

Archived