Just finished season 1

StrawhatDrogo

Hello everybody im a newbie here!I dont know if this the right place to post this topic.Well I just finished the tv show and i was really excited so i decided to read the books.Im just wondering : Do i have to buy the first book ?Or i am fine with the series so i can move on to the second ??

Please note that im greek so i cannot read the first book online,or download it.So if you say so,i'll need to buy it.

Thank you :)

My personal view for all adaptations of literary fiction is to read the original work first, if you can. I don't see GoT as being any diffrerent.

A lot of people on this board have the opposite view, and their arguments have some merit.

I suggest just start by reading (buying) A Game of Thrones and see whether you feel like the show kinda ruined the full impact of the book, or whether you feel that if you had read the book first you would have been very disappointed in the TV show.

In direct comparison book >>>>>> TV show. So my question to you is: from which one do you want to extract the most enjoyment?

If you read the books first and really get into them then you WILL nitpick the show. A fan always nitpicks, it cannot be helped, because a show never fully meets your expectations.

Hi! I'm a newbie too. I got through about 6 episodes of the show, then decided that I wanted to read the books. I bought the 4-book paperback set for $20 US because it was cheaper per book, and because my friends all had very good things to say about the series (why they didn't tell me about it before the show came out, I have no idea!). Although the show followed the book fairly well, there will always be little details left out that enrich the story and that come in handy when reading the following books. Also, there are complex connections that make it useful to have earlier books on hand to refer to in order to clarify things. Lastly, the style of writing - shifting perspective each chapter - could take some getting used to, and it'd be easier to do in the first book when everything and everyone is being introduced.

So I'd recommend that you start with the first book. Enjoy!

There is much more in Game of Thrones that they were not able to show us in 10 episodes.

The novel is highly complex with more characters. They have very complicated motives. Odd things happen that are turn out to be very significant in later volumes. It's not possible to take in everything in one reading. We are grateful to HBO for the first season, but it's not even a drop in the bucket of the wonders of the first novel.

Archived