[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 1 p. 16-30 US HC

Xray the Enforcer

I actually found Tyrion more sympathetic and likeable in this chapter than the last time we saw him. I guess the whole suffering angle really worked for me. I like to see my characters suffer so beautifully. ^^

Also, before I received my copy of DWD I had this discussion with my brothers (bless them for introducing me to this book series) that Tyrion really only had one purpose left to him: Join Daenerys.

It seems like Illyrio agrees with me! :D

(And dumb comment here: When I first read GoT I didn't realize it was Varys and Illyrio scheming down in the room with the dragon skulls, while Arya eavesdrops. If the HBO series hadn't actually showed them, then this chapter would have been what had made me slap my forehead and go "duh".)

I could sure go for some butter and garlic mushrooms now.

I enjoyed it. Tyrion's not the fun magnet here that he used to be; he doesn't sparkle. But he's pretty broken, so that's only as it should be. For me, his treatment of the girl Illyrio sends him is very much indicative of how unbalanced he is, without being wholely unrecognizable. Old Tyrion would never do that.

Illyrio! Long time no-watch-eat. Actually having Tyrion hear about Dany and take his first tentative step Meereen-ward feels almost weird, given how long it's been fan accepted wisdom. Got a feeling that may happen a couple times in this book. I'm just so used to having these developments in the future, deferred, not now, that seeing them written down in simple words feels ... like they have less weight than they should. Good scene though. Think it'll benefit on reread, when I'm reading more for what's there rather than just devouring after long starvation.

Interesting that Tyrion's traumatic experiences in KL have left him with a refrain-like phrase that he feels compelled to repeat, in some ways like the one he left Jaime with [though Tyrion's is a question whilst Jaime's is a taunt.] I'm talking specifically about Tyrion's question: "Where do whores go?", and Jaime's obsession with Tyrion's statement that "She's [Cersei] been fucking Lancel and Osmund Kettleblack and Moonboy, for all I know." [The Moonboy bit of that is untrue, yes? I don't remember for certain, and a while ago I think I saw a post where somebody took it as true, and I was quite surprised.]

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I like Tyrion, I'm liking a Tyrion without his family's gold to crutch on. Now if he could stop being so obsessed with wine and whores, maybe he could put all that great cunning he has to some really good use and get out of the mess he's in.

And as much as I like him too and as much as I think Tywin dying was deserved, being a kinslayer is a bad curse. I think it was one of the nails in Robb's coffin when he killed a Karstark so it will be pretty interesting to see how and if he pays for that. (Although there are some who don't believe he is Tywin's son, so in that case he's not a kinslayer and not cursed...)

I'm sure this has been mentioned already, but Illyrio is described as having a forked yellow beard, the same as the one Arya spied in AGoT so I guess it was Varys and Illyrio.

• 5 weeks later...

I believe the frequent references to "the King" are talking aout Viserys. I imagine the old, fine children's clothes Tyrion wears were also Viserys'.

There was one line from Illyrio about the washerwoman who spoke common tongue and washed Tyrion - "She was trained in Lys, where they make an art of love. The king enjoyed her greatly". It makes sense that he's talking about Viserys, but from Tyrion's point of view, wouldn't he be asking which king he's referring to, or questioning his motives or something other than his reply of "I kill kings...." I don't remember what Tyrion knew of Viserys since he wasn't in the small council at the time of King Robert's rule, but I just thought that was a weird reply.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I liked the chapter but really worried what's going to happen to Tyrion-I felt like he's almost still in a state of shock over everything that's happened.

I agree that the part with him in the barrel was very claustrophobic. And I agree it made me hungry too, loved the part about him refusing the swan.

• 1 month later...

Good ol' Tyrion! Even when he's a mess he cracks me up. I'm really wondering right now what Illyrio knows about various events. Does he know what Dany has been up to since Qarth? Is he in contact with Doran and Quentyn? Perhaps Crow's Eye? Perhaps they are all conspiring separately and Dany at some point will have to sort it all out.

I was wondering where Varys is. I suspected he'd gone ahead to Dany, but I suppose he could still be in KL disguised as a sparrow. Given his talent for disguise, he could be anywhere.

Is this chapter the first time that there's a mention of Griff? I can't help but feel he was mentioned before and I just missed it, or maybe it seems that way because posters here mentioned him from reading the chapter early online?

This confused me. Who is Griff?

• 3 weeks later...
And as much as I like him too and as much as I think Tywin dying was deserved, being a kinslayer is a bad curse. I think it was one of the nails in Robb's coffin when he killed a Karstark so it will be pretty interesting to see how and if he pays for that.

Robb's death did not have nearly as much to do with Karstark's execution than it did with disgracing Lord Walder Frey and simply being an enemy of Tywin Lannister, who spoke the famous words, "Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens."

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

There was one line from Illyrio about the washerwoman who spoke common tongue and washed Tyrion - "She was trained in Lys, where they make an art of love. The king enjoyed her greatly". It makes sense that he's talking about Viserys, but from Tyrion's point of view, wouldn't he be asking which king he's referring to, or questioning his motives or something other than his reply of "I kill kings...." I don't remember what Tyrion knew of Viserys since he wasn't in the small council at the time of King Robert's rule, but I just thought that was a weird reply.

Hmm...I didn't remember Viserys so I assumed she was a whore sent across Narrow Sea to pleasure Robert also explaining how she speaks Westeros Common Tongue.. lol...which makes no sense at all now. Of coure it was Viserys.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, it were his last words (or at least the ones that got him killed). Tyrion warned him not to keep calling Tysha a whore after learning she actually never was one. When he asked Tywin where she might have gone, Tywin replied: "Wherever whores go." and was then shot by Tyrion.

Archived