[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 1

Xray the Enforcer

George R R has said that he is not going to have any new POV characters. I guess he could change his mind. As of yet we have not had any Osha or Ricken chapters. I am just speculating that there will be a Davos chapter in WoW. There may not be. We have already read the contents page of Dance and there are no Osha or Ricken chapters there. Those 2 are probably on Skagos. Davos is the closest POV character to them. I guess it may be someone else that helps fill in the Ricken / Osha gaps for us. But who knows. It may be someone else. So it's not a spoiler. Just some speculation.

George R R has said that he is not going to have any new POV characters. I guess he could change his mind. As of yet we have not had any Osha or Ricken chapters. I am just speculating that there will be a Davos chapter in WoW. There may not be. We have already read the contents page of Dance and there are no Osha or Ricken chapters there. Those 2 are probably on Skagos. Davos is the closest POV character to them. I guess it may be someone else that helps fill in the Ricken / Osha gaps for us. But who knows. It may be someone else. So it's not a spoiler. Just some speculation.

Please use spoiler tags!!!! Events you describe have not happened yet during Jon 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Can I ask several questions:

I have just finished Jon 1 in ADWD, and haven't read further yet:

- is it the first time that we have it expressly said that the direwolves can sense each other? I can't remember seeing that before.

- why do you guys think Shaggydog is near Greywater Watch? I thought Rickon was with Osha and they're more likely to be somewhere North rather than South?

- why do so many people take R + L = J? Given that Jon has a direwolf, just like all the other Starks, to me that makes him a Stark, descended from Ned. If he wasn't, how come he would have his own direwolf?

- I agree that the direwolf Ghost cannot sense is Summer, Bran's direwolf, as he is on the other side of the wall. The sister with the 100 small grey cousins is clearly Nymeria (Arya's), and the black one must be Shaggydog (Rickon's).

- I also read the passage to say there was still a total of 4 direwolves left.

Once they had been six, five whimpering blind in the snow beside their dead mother, sucking cool milk from her hard dead nipples whilst he crawled off alone. Four remained ...and one the white wolf could no longer sense.

To me this says 4 remain, so Grey Wind and Lady are dead. So the one that he could no longer sense is one of the 4, not an additional one. It's true that the phrase is slightly ambiguous, especially for non-native english speakers like me ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

- is it the first time that we have it expressly said that the direwolves can sense each other? I can't remember seeing that before.

I'm pretty sure Summer and Shaggy sense Lady's death in GoT

- why do you guys think Shaggydog is near Greywater Watch? I thought Rickon was with Osha and they're more likely to be somewhere North rather than South?

Keep reading but the Greywater watch is pure speculation

- why do so many people take R + L = J? Given that Jon has a direwolf, just like all the other Starks, to me that makes him a Stark, descended from Ned. If he wasn't, how come he would have his own direwolf?

Lyanna would make him a Stark as well.

- I agree that the direwolf Ghost cannot sense is Summer, Bran's direwolf, as he is on the other side of the wall. The sister with the 100 small grey cousins is clearly Nymeria (Arya's), and the black one must be Shaggydog (Rickon's).

To me this says 4 remain, so Grey Wind and Lady are dead. So the one that he could no longer sense is one of the 4, not an additional one. It's true that the phrase is slightly ambiguous, especially for non-native english speakers like me ;-)

Was Mormont's raven so aggressive in the previous books (e.g. biting Sam, flying at Jon)? Is this a further indication that Mormont is a warg and that the raven is 'untaming' as the memory of Mormont leaves the bird? I also note the parallel between the raven eating Mormont's face and Varamyr saying that his wolves would eat him when he died.

I wonder if Jon will warg into the raven in order to spy on events beyond the wall?

In regards to Jon slipping into the ravens skin, doubtfull. He seems fixed on " I'm a man not a beast" he's wasting his gift IMHO

Fighting it at every turn

You have so many questions, but this one interests me the most. :P

This R+L=J theory has been debated multiple times, and I came to believe this as well. What I observed in the forum,

many believed/wished/wanted/theorized that Jon will embraced his father's heritage once his parentage be revealed. Jon is a likable character and many prefer him to be the King of Westeros. I also read a lot of threads stating that Jon will choose the Targaryen name and rule the Seven Kingdoms because Rhaegar is his father and he has a claim to the IT. IMHO though, R+L=J is not centrally about Rhaegar is his father and Jon a future King, but Lyanna is his mother and Jon has the blood of the wolf and of the North. Like someone had mentioned before, Rhaegar was just a sperm donor :P . This theory is also important for Ned and Cat - he kept his honor after all. So yeah, Jon is a Stark. He got the blood, he got the looks, he worshipped the Old Gods, he carry the Stark symbol (his direwolf), and he can f**king warg.

• 1 year later...

Small detail about the 'missplaced' direwolf: She is WHITE!! All the more reason to support R+L=J!

Archived