[ADWD SPOILERS] Bran 1

Xray the Enforcer

So it seems like Coldhands is becoming an ever more disturbing character but the chapter mentioned that one of the Night's Watch brothers was missing a hand. In the appendix it says that the deserters who killed the Old Bear and Craster are still chilling (har har) at Craster's Keep, one of whom is Ollo Lophand.

I'm wondering, was this Ollo Lophand the same crew of deserters? It makes sense, what other brothers would be doing so far north of the wall at this time? I still think Coldhands is a good guy. :)

I'm thinking Coldhands is a wight on remote control (3-eyed crow remote control). If the remote runs out of batteries it's BRAAAAAAAIIIIINNNNZZZZZ time.

He's a monster, but he's their monster, for now.

Funny though, I'm not quite 100 pages in and I'm already missing the AfFC PoVs. I wonder if my first read through of DWD will give me the same feeling as I had with AFfC: it's only half a book and so a tad of a let down. Even though it's got all of our favourite characters. King's Landing was always the place for the political intrigue and backstabbing, so this book may be missing quite a bit of that, though I'm guessing Dany is going to start suffering from a lot of that fairly soon, and Barristan will be about as useless in dealing with that there as he was in KL. As Tyrion said, knights are only good for one thing.

Seeing Sam back at the Wall was a bit of a jolt, but a good anti-passage of time reference.

I should not have read the Dany and Tyrion sample chapters way back when, because I completely skipped Dany 1 and partly skipped Tyrion 1, and it kinda felt like cheating.

I've also read Reek 1 (I assume) in advance, and quite recently ( :shocked: ) so that's another I'll skip on the first run through.

Kinda looking forward to going back to AfFC after finishing DWD.

The Anti-Targ: some information revealed by Martin before the publication of ADwD (very minor spoiler):

Some AFfC characters get a few chapters later on in the book since the ADwD advances the series timeline beyond the end of AFfC

Yeah, I knew that, given I knew a while ago that Arya's got a couple of chapters in DWD. Probably my half a book feeling will go once we visit a few more places. The only places I've visited so far are across the narrow sea and at the Wall and beyond.

Your monster, Brandon Stark.

I was reminded of Brandon the builder when Coldhands said that. Or is it related to our Bran especially? The Crows flying around sure insisted of Coldhand being Bran's.

Like Bran's created that monster by dunno, reaching out for Benjen unconsciously (yeah not giving up on that one easily, since he knew where to find the hidden passageway)?

What's Bloodraven got to do with Bran or Brandon Stark? Never read the spin-offs, I'd be gratefull if someone could bring me up to date...

So what's up with all that? Anyone got a smart idea?

Brandon the Builder was a sorcerer and maybe even the Night King :)

So anyone think Bran will soul-link with Six-Skins as they cross-warg into the same animal? Seems like Bran needs a Warging teacher bad as he's doing all the outlawed things and Varamyr's prologue was quite the set up.

Three cheers for the Last GreenSeer and hopefully seeing the Children of the Forest.

Brandon the Builder was a sorcerer and maybe even the Night King :)

So anyone think Bran will soul-link with Six-Skins as they cross-warg into the same animal? Seems like Bran needs a Warging teacher bad as he's doing all the outlawed things and Varamyr's prologue was quite the set up.

Three cheers for the Last GreenSeer and hopefully seeing the Children of the Forest.

As far as the outlawed things from the prologue... is it bad form to just temporarily warg into someone else's body, as Bran does with Hodor frequently, or is it only if you attempt to completely take over that person's body for good and expel their consciousness? Completely missed that aspect of Bran's until your post.

What's Bloodraven got to do with Bran or Brandon Stark? Never read the spin-offs, I'd be gratefull if someone could bring me up to date...

A brief history of Bloodraven (in spoiler text in case anyone doesn't want to be spoiled for Dunk and Egg)

He's one of Aegon IV's Great Bastards (they're called great because they have noble mothers, as opposed to the ones he got on common women). When Daemon Blackfyre (another Great Bastard) rebelled, Bloodraven stayed on the Targaryen side. After the Blackfyre Rebellion (in whih he lost an eye), he became Master of Whisperers, and then Hand of the King when Aerys I took the throne (not the Mad King, that was Aerys II). Aerys I was incompetent, so Bloodraven pretty much ruled Westeros. He was known to have lots of spies - there was a saying that went "How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes, and one". It's not clear what happened to him after Aerys died and Maekar became king, but when Egg took the throne as Aegon V (the Unlikely), he sent Bloodraven to the Wall, on the same ship as Maester Aemon (this is from a Sam chapter in Feast). He later became Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

The nickname comes from his birthmark, which is supposed to be raven-shaped.

A brief history of Bloodraven (in spoiler text in case anyone doesn't want to be spoiled for Dunk and Egg)

[...]

The nickname comes from his birthmark, which is supposed to be raven-shaped.

Triple thanks to you, Ser! I only knew half of it and only remembered it vaguely! Still not wiser on the Coldhands issue, but there are still a few hundred pages left.So: :read:

Aside from the stronger pushback, who knows about the human warging rules?

Is it just ethics, so a little human domination is just not as bad as a lot? Or is there some more severe contamination/soul-linking between the two as between Orell and Varamyr?

It doesn't seem like Bran goes around muttering 'Hodor' so I guess it's just a ethical issue?

Any chance Varamyr is the Three eyed crow? Isn't there reference to a one eyed warg out there too?

And interesting theory on being able to Warg into one of the Others. I wonder if a person could see the Others coming, warg into an animal or even a tree (which seems to be allowed per the prologue) and then warg back into their old reanimated corpse?

Aside from the stronger pushback, who knows about the human warging rules?

Is it just ethics, so a little human domination is just not as bad as a lot? Or is there some more severe contamination/soul-linking between the two as between Orell and Varamyr?

It doesn't seem like Bran goes around muttering 'Hodor' so I guess it's just a ethical issue?

I think George has set it up like normal master/servant relationships with humans and animals. We keep dogs as pets, boss them around. There more or less okay with that. They don't mind having masters. Birds seems similar, cats less so. Humans take to domination with much more resistance. We don't like being slaves, we like being independent.

Haggon's? rules may not be universal warging rules, just his own moral code. He says you shouldn't warg into birds, yet Varymir meets others who have done that. I'm not worried about Bran breaking any rules until the 3-Eyed Crow tells him what's good and bad.

Archived