[ADWD SPOILERS] Bran 1

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone else think that the pork they were eating at the end of the chapter was actually the men that Coldhands killed?

I just reread this chapter and came here to see if anyone else got that impression too. Can't believe I didn't catch that on the first read. They are starving for days, even Summer can't smell anything. Then serendipitously Coldhands finds and kills a pig to eat on his way back from killing a bunch of people. How convenient. It was totally the other other white meat.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't like Bran warging into Hodor, not because he should know about the no-humans thing that we know from the prologue, but because he can tell he doesn't like it and it scares him.

Reading this chapter just reinforced my belief that Coldhands isn't Benjen. He seems like he's something older than Benjen. I realize that Benjen has been in the NW for years and has probably gone beyond the wall several times, but Coldhands seems to know the region too well for it to be Benjen.

How does Summer not know that Grey Wind is dead. Doesn't Ghost know?

• 1 month later...

Cold hands baffles and fascinates me. Because if he's a wight, how is he able to speak, think, help people,etc instead of just being a killing machine like the other wights? Unless he's being manipulated by the three eyed crow as posted earlier? I think he could be Benjen because he knows Brandon by name and says "I'm your monster" and seems to care about what happens to him. But then if he's Benjen he also kills his own brothers from the NW.

I've thought from the very beginning that Bran was special and I wish he'd have more chapters. It's seems like he's very gifted, I'm wondering how GRRM will tie him in at the end, will he use his gifts to help the others somehow.

And I don't like his warging into Hodor either. I don't think he'd knowingly hurt anyone though, hopefully he will be trained in future not to do this.

• 1 month later...

So yes, the black brothers Coldhands killed are indeed the traitors from Crastor's keep and I believe that is where he got the pig. Perhaps the kill happened not far from there. I would guess the wolves had been following them for days and the men began following more imminently perhaps when they became aware of the party moving through. Either that, or the men were traveling with the pig meat from Crastor's and Coldhands simply took it. I don't think they were eating human flesh.

I am most curious to see what comes of Summer's new pack. I enjoyed Summer dominating Varamyr inside One Eye and only hope that he has no negative influence on Bran in any way.

I feel like Bran's warging is pretty innocent, though he has been treading on some thin ice by jumping into Hodor. There were times when he needed to, but he shouldn't make a practice of it. Eating the human meat was more of an instinct done out of need and hunger and I don't see anything wrong with it. If he does it when not necessary, I'd be more concerned. Can't wait for him to meet the three-eyed crow and to find out who Coldhands really is. I still feel like it's Benjen, but I'm not familiar with this Bloodraven character so perhaps it's him. Whoever it is, he's dead. That much is clear.

• 1 month later...

Fascinating chapter, and a fascinating story-arc, by far my favourite. I'm so curious to find out who Coldhands actually is, my guess? Benjen. But that is way too obvious, so that probably won't happen.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Well, regarding Coldhands, I would say there are probably 2 options:

1. he is a weigh controled by a warg

2. he is someone that died, but his blood or memories make him serve Bran (Benjen? no idea)

we actually know very little of weighs.. who raises them? Only the whitewalkers, or can others do that also?

They have memories... can they still love or have feelings for their kin? no clue...

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the ethical rule of human warging, I do not imagine you would want a human just randomly taking over your body for an unknown amount of time while you have no control. It is just morally wrong in a sense.

As for Varamyr's would be pack, doesnt seem like he got to have his pack for so long now did he?

Thats what you get as a punishment for attempting to human warg. Think GRRM did that to Varamyr as a little fun? I think he is trying to send us a lesson.

Bran tore any dignity Varamyr had left from him and spit it in his face when he took over the pack.

However you do not see Bran taking over Hodor anymore do you?

Funny though, I'm not quite 100 pages in and I'm already missing the AfFC PoVs. I wonder if my first read through of DWD will give me the same feeling as I had with AFfC: it's only half a book and so a tad of a let down. Even though it's got all of our favourite characters. King's Landing was always the place for the political intrigue and backstabbing, so this book may be missing quite a bit of that

I'd expect nothing less than death and destruction with a book thats named 'A Dance with Dragons'

AFFC was incredibly dull at parts, and had no political intrigue besides Cersei's chapters, and a little bit of Littlefinger ;) which were in my opinion the best parts of AFFC.

That being said, I'm going to enjoy where Bran's chapters take him. Hopefully we get a look in on Osha and Rickon too. Coldhand's will be a make or break character, hopefully Martin does him justice.

I really enjoyed aFFC, but then I was expecting it to be dire from the reviews I'd read.

In the end I found it a facinating read, which developed some good plot lines, and drove some great character arcs forward.

After I read it, I got stuck into ADoD trully looking forward to getting to where aFFC left off. Whilst in the mean time, getting all the plots for the characters I'd missed reading about.

I find this with James Bond films too tho - I enjoy every single one of those films, even finding merit in the ones that all discering fans tell me are terrible! :hat: Same with all of Ice and Fire (and Raymond E Feists Midkemian saga for that matter)

• 7 months later...
How does Summer not know that Grey Wind is dead. Doesn't Ghost know?

Yes I am intrigued by that too. Especially in Jon's chapter just before, we know that Ghost knows there are only 4 direwolves left. There's something odd here. GRRM is hinting at something but I don't know what.

Now back to Coldhands:

Could Coldhands be a Children of the Forest wight rather than an Other wight? Maybe the CotF have the ability to create wights too, and they are a bit different from the wights created by the Others. So for example, Others wights have blue eyes but CotF wights have not.

It seems to me Coldhands is a "servant" of either the 3-Eyed Crow or the CotF. Which may be the same thing (the 3-Eyed crow might be a CotF).

• 2 weeks later...

So yes, the black brothers Coldhands killed are indeed the traitors from Crastor's keep and I believe that is where he got the pig. Perhaps the kill happened not far from there. I would guess the wolves had been following them for days and the men began following more imminently perhaps when they became aware of the party moving through. Either that, or the men were traveling with the pig meat from Crastor's and Coldhands simply took it. I don't think they were eating human flesh.

I am most curious to see what comes of Summer's new pack. I enjoyed Summer dominating Varamyr inside One Eye and only hope that he has no negative influence on Bran in any way.

I feel like Bran's warging is pretty innocent, though he has been treading on some thin ice by jumping into Hodor. There were times when he needed to, but he shouldn't make a practice of it. Eating the human meat was more of an instinct done out of need and hunger and I don't see anything wrong with it. If he does it when not necessary, I'd be more concerned. Can't wait for him to meet the three-eyed crow and to find out who Coldhands really is. I still feel like it's Benjen, but I'm not familiar with this Bloodraven character so perhaps it's him. Whoever it is, he's dead. That much is clear.

When Summer dominated the pack I was worried that Varamyr would become desperate later on like he was in the prologue, but it could be worrying over nothing.

I also think Coldhands in Benjen

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fascinating chapter, and a fascinating story-arc, by far my favourite. I'm so curious to find out who Coldhands actually is, my guess? Benjen. But that is way too obvious, so that probably won't happen.

This is what a friend of mine tried to convince me of, but even a less human form of Benjen would have remember his nephews face.

• 1 year later...

@#37 That thought crossed my mind, but after rereading the prologue it doesn't seem likely. Wargs/skinchangers that inhabit multiple organisms seem to need their primary human as a 'hub' to switch between them. When the 'sourcehuman' dies without the 'wargconscience' the hub seems to close and the spirit is trapped becoming less and less human over time.

Archived