[ADWD SPOILERS] The Merchant's Man

Xray the Enforcer

Favorite back and forth from this chapter, had me laugh out loud (at work so going from memory)

"We'll tell our grandchildren tales of our adventure"

"You just want to raise some skirts with your tales"

"Well how else do you get grandchildren?"

I was also reminded of Joffrey's wedding. They could very well be the same dwarf troupe. :)

I recognized that as well. Though always hard to say with timing of things on if it was the same troupe, they've at least heard about the story :)

Didn't LF arrange the dwarves for the wedding? - If so, then maybe he's also keeping tabs on Quentyn.

I have sympathy for Quentyn - it looks like he's embarking on a gap year gone wrong - he's set out to see the world and meet a nice girl with a group of friends, but it's not quite working out as planned. Three of his friends got killed by pirates, nobody wants to give them a lift anywhere, they talk about sorting out some tough guys who are acting disrespectfully but then don't do anything about it. And now they appear to be on the cusp of foolishly joining a band of mercenaries to try and find the nice girl - oh, and he's too shy to speak to girls in any case.

He's plainly out of his depth - I hope he gets back home to Dorne more or less in one piece...

• 3 weeks later...

Something about this chapter confused me, and I made a note of it but then forgot about it a few chapters later. Anyway, I now recall that something being Quentyn's wariness regarding Varys. I was under the impression that Varys was working with Doran Martell. Why would Quentyn have cause to avoid his informants?

• 2 weeks later...

What about that Black Wall around Volantis that we were given such a brief glimpse of. And why would it be around a city that "was no more of an outpost" when it was built? Does this have anything to do with Mel's "hinges of the world". I can't imagine GRRM would have invented something like that and mentioned it so casually unless it had some significance. Curious...

I have sympathy for Quentyn - it looks like he's embarking on a gap year gone wrong - he's set out to see the world and meet a nice girl with a group of friends, but it's not quite working out as planned. Three of his friends got killed by pirates, nobody wants to give them a lift anywhere, they talk about sorting out some tough guys who are acting disrespectfully but then don't do anything about it. And now they appear to be on the cusp of foolishly joining a band of mercenaries to try and find the nice girl - oh, and he's too shy to speak to girls in any case.

He's plainly out of his depth - I hope he gets back home to Dorne more or less in one piece...

This is hilariously spot on! And I also hope he makes it out alive and not too worse for wear. Poor kid.

Something about this chapter confused me, and I made a note of it but then forgot about it a few chapters later. Anyway, I now recall that something being Quentyn's wariness regarding Varys. I was under the impression that Varys was working with Doran Martell. Why would Quentyn have cause to avoid his informants?

I wondered the same thing. Then I thought maybe he didn't know or maybe he didn't trust him. Varys also was the informant that let King's Landing know about Dany's wedding and pregnancy right? So, I guess it is prudent to have some schemes that are not known by Varys.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wondered the same thing. Then I thought maybe he didn't know or maybe he didn't trust him. Varys also was the informant that let King's Landing know about Dany's wedding and pregnancy right? So, I guess it is prudent to have some schemes that are not known by Varys.

My understanding is that King's Landing knew of these events through Jorah Mormont.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess I was confused about Quentyn being with the Golden Company. For some reason I thought that was the case when reading AFFC. Too bad, because boy is he in a pickle! I feel bad for him in so many ways. He lost his friends and maester to pirates, can't find a ship to Meereen, and clearly will be disappointed when he finally reaches Dany. I can't see her giving him the time of day. She probably has no notion of this supposed contract with Dorne. Perhaps she might see the value in such a marriage, but she has no way of understanding the politics of Westeros beyond what she's learned from Jorah and advice she'd get from Selmy. She needs Tyrion asap! Maybe she'll manage an alliance without an actual marriage, as long as she doesn't kill them for arriving with the enemy, assuming they join them as a way to reach Meereen.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone else have trouble relating the Quentyn's plight?

I LOL'ed at this because I had the same reaction. I have nothing against the guy, but as it stands now, I feel more sympathetic towards his sister, Arianne (and that is just with maybe 1 additional PoV by comparison). It seems as if I agree with most people in this thread, Quentyn is in WAY over his head. I guess some people like to root for the underdog, right?

With all that said, his story should be an interesting read.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived