[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 2

Xray the Enforcer

• 3 weeks later...

Blown away by the chapter, for the very first time of this book. The different perspective on the discussion with Sam was spot on, as said earlier. I thought Jon was an ass, as I read it through Sam's eyes, but I actually understand the decision, and think it was the best one to make.

Secondly, the brilliant way Jon dealt with Janos Slynt, just fantastic, had a smile on my face as he beheaded him. Indeed, he got snowned.

And last but not least that tiny detail at the end of the chapter, Jon and Stannis looking at eachother, followed by a small nod by Stannis. Phenomenal writing.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I loved this chapter!! I know so many people felt it was way too repetitive from the Sam chapter in AFFC... but I think it was necessary to get into Jon's head about that whole exchange. But none of this even matters when compared to the big moment.

My love for Jon Snow abounds. No more Janos Slynt. One horrible villain down... But as many have said, Jon is becoming too like his father. We all know what happened to Eddard; I hope Jon does not share a similar fate (please GRRM, don't do it!! I love Jon.)

Seems like Stannis is finally starting to see Jon as a true Lord Commander. Can't wait to get to his next POV.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally!

I agree, Janos pushed him and I don't know how he thought he would get away with it. He almost left him no choice but to take a strong measure. I loved the passage where he stopped and everybody (Bowen Marsh! Hilarious!) thought that he would prove to be just the bastard greenboy that some wish to see in him... just to step up and literally take the matter into his own hands.

The look between him and Stannis was just the cherry on the cake. Loved it. It also reminded me of the passage where Melisandre tells Jon how Stannis is growing fond of him. Stannis too is a man who cares a lot about respect, though he doesn't have the kind of pragmatism that Jon has already adapted as a leader. This has been beautifully contrasted in their conversation in the first Jon chapter in which Stannis always sticks to his "because I'm their rightful king"-argument, whereas Jon has more pragmatic political thoughts.

This is also why I don't agree with Jon becoming more like Ned because Ned apperently simply didn't know how to play the game of thrones while Jon seems a little more apt. He isn't afraid of bending the rules a bit as long as he sticks to what he thinks is the aim (defending the Wall and sparing innocent lifes).

Great chapter - some of the best writing in the book so far particularly the scaling up the punishment for Slynt (in Johns mind). Also his commands to Samwell who is a but tiresome - excellent - you shall not call yourself craven. I liked the nod from Stannis - justice served. And i don't see what the problem with Jon becoming like Ned is - I think Ned was great but GRRM portrayed his end too cynically for me. Ned was like St Thomas More for me - and should have resisted the family leverage. JOn has the the hots for Val = I would put good money on this one exploding....

I just read this chapter and it was brilliant! Jon appears to have really went through with "kill(ing) the boy" :)

Glad Slynt died, he deserved it. Also really liked the fact that Stannis was watching. A really good scene.

Alliser Thorne will soon follow him into the ground, I hope.

• 1 month later...

Didn't Slynt knock Ned to his knees and hold him to the block during his beheading? Now he knows how it feels. And to be executed by Ned's own blood! Awesome chapter. Strange how this news never reaches Kings Landing. At least not before the end of AFFC.

• 3 weeks later...

What I loved the most about this chapter is that we could see not how much Jon is similar to Ned, but how Strong Ned's parenting was. I think it's visible not only in the beheading scene, but also when Jon is mentioning/thinking that he will go and personally talk to the brothers and see what's going on. I remember in some early chapter Eddard invited representatives of all classes and work in Winterfell for a dinner once in a month or sth like that...

And honestly it felt good to finally see a glimpse of Starks' honor, justice and responsibility again, that made us (or me) love this family so much. Maybe I'm overreacting but GRRM has been giving them hard time for soo long (and surviving aFFC almost without their POVs), I almost started wondering why did I like them and were they really that important... thanks for reminding us, Jon Snow. :]

Not to mention the delight of seeing that pathetic clown Slynt go...

Awesome chapter. It`s true that there were some thing and facts that we already knwe by having read AFFC but as many of you have already mentioned before, this was different in a way because it was made possible for us to understand the other point of view, as it is Jon`s POV and not Sam`s. And Jon has something in common with his ather / if Ned Stark was indeed/ but the Lord-commander of the Night Watch is nowhere near becoming Eddard Stark 2.0. Apparently he is much more active and agressive, he not only doesn`t tolerate disrespect and not following the rules, but is absolutely willing to punnish and be vert severe. Ned wouldn`t have had Janos Slint beheaded only for this, for he hasn`t commited treason or tried disert. But Jon is more clever and self-confiodent, he is better version than his father as a man with power. You see, Eddard was a decent warrior & honourable knight who possesed great wisdom, but was unable to be that kind of guy who is able to adapt in different types of situatins. Beyond the Wall Jon did many things. broke many oaths, but achieved his ultimate goal: to survive and somehow stay a true Man of the Night`s watch.

Btw, his decision to kill Slint was very brave and Jon was right. That man would`ve came up with some plan to eliminate him. Besides, I almost couldn`t stand that SOB.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

To me, it feels like the chapter where Stannis should realise he can get on with Jon. And I hope Stannis approves of the education that Ned has given Jon.

Stannis and Ned were not exactly the same but they have much in common, and I hope Stannis sees that when he witness Jon's actions.

• 3 weeks later...

I found something interesting in this chapter. When Jon is saying goodbye to Sam and to the others, he looked into the Gilly and the baby and he think that at that point the only person who is able to distinguish the babies is her. I think that maybe Gilly does not switched the babies as everyone think... ANd maybe this is the reason why this part of the book was "recycled" from the Sam's chapter... but it is just a guess of mine!

Archived