[ADWD SPOILERS] Davos 2

Xray the Enforcer

"Are we sure they killed Prince Rhaegar's son? A babe, he was."

Now, it's plain that the one who said it was being sarcastic but since the theories of Young Griff being Aegon I think this quote is a way of GRRM subtly amking an eventual impact of him being Aegon seem less... weird.

Sigh. First post for this chapter after four days, and then it's really a post about another chapter that landed here by mistake. :P

Seems there's no love for Davos 2! Alas! To remedy the situation, some thoughts on the chapter...

Yes, basically... nothing happens. I liked it anyway! We get to see White Harbor for the first time in any detail. Kind of late for the only major city in the North, and thus in half of Westeros. I actually liked the description, with the focus on the harbor as we see it from a seaman's eyes. Also the economic background - we get pointed to the fact that without White Harbor, the North is basically doomed, especially in the coming winter. And we get a nice bit of gossip. I really like the way GRRM handles gossip in this series: there's always kernels of truth adorned by details that have been warped by passing from ear to mouth several times. Just like it works in reality. And we as readers, knowing the facts behind some of the gossip, get to know how the common folk see the events of the world.

I think we need more stuff like this. I don't care if anyone says "nothing happes in this chapter"...

I liked all the gossip in this chapter. I also loved how Davos chose to spend his time among the common people and that they were his source of information... he clearly feels more comfortable there.

Davos to me is the perfect hand... he understands the "small folk" probably because he used to be one. All of the Kings we've seen and really all of the lords even Ned, Stannis, Robb and some of the "nicer" nobles all seem to miss the devastating impact that this war is going to have on the common folk. Frankly I don't think Westeros survives a long winter, they all better move to Dorne or die...

My only complaint about this chapter is that all the gossip that Davos got was overload. Now how are we to know which rumors are true and which are false? Whats going on w/ the Maderly's? How about the Boltons and the other Northern Lords? What about Aegon? That was the real bombshell....

Frankly, I think I'll be a little annoyed if GRRM keeps bringing people back from the dead or keeps misleading us into being relatively positive that certain people are dead. Well, I won't be annoyed just by that, but if some big riddle is solved by saying, "Oh so and so was alive the whole time and was being protected by X." AFFC teased us with the Hound and Lady Stoneheart as well as Gregorstein and now we see a nearly 200 year old Bloodraven in the Bran chapter before and now Aegon might be alive after all?

Who am I kidding, I'll still eat it up... but it still feels a little like cheating.

• 5 weeks later...

I liked this chapter, but I like chapters like this. It shows just how long it takes some information to get around the world. Like them not knowing what has happened in KL, and I've been wondering if anyone had heard about the dragons and Daenarys, but most of the common people can't even get her name right.

For a minute I thought it didn't bode well that he had taken down the Stark banners, but now I think it makes sense in a way. There is no Stark banner to rally behind anymore, so it really would be a bit pointless, especially if he's trying to get back his son and keep his intentions hidden. And if Osha and Rikken had made their way there and he's keeping them protected, it would be smarter to act like there's no allegiance. I hope he doesn't throw in with the Lannisters and Boltons in the end. I'm still holding out hope that Davos lives for a while.

In AFFC it is told to Cersei that Lord Manderley executes Davos. Is it .going to happen ? I hope not. Davos is in my top 5 favorite characters but som ehow I think this could bs the end of him. But that passage about how he thought saving Edric Storm was his final purpose and now hes in White Harbor makes me think that before he is killed he will do something game changing !

Although i do agree that Martin tricks readers too much with people who have supposedly died, i hope Davos lives through his White Harbor adventure. DAVOS FTW !!!!

• 2 months later...

I don't know if I should ask this question somewhere else since this thread is so old...but...when Davos is listening to all the gossip, he hears them talking about the ship Sloe-Eyed Maid. This was one of the ship's Dany looked at for passage to Westeros, way back in ACoK. Davos makes it sound like something bad happened to the ship though...

"He knew what had befallen the Sloe-Eyed Maid. The gods were cruel to let a man sail across half the world, then send him chasing a false light when he was almost home."

"That captain was a braver man than me..."

Anybody know what Davos is talking about? I have a hard time keeping all the boats straight...what's this "false light"?

• 1 month later...

Maybe he knows that his friend Salla raided that ship. Who knows? Obviously something happened to it.

I was pretty sure Davos was a dead man when he walked up those steps, but the more I think on it, the more I'm not so sure. It's pretty obvious to me that Manderly needs to show allegiance to the boy king and the Freys, at least to get his son back and protect White Harbor, but that doesn't mean he isn't plotting something else. He certainly has plenty of reason to. They could fake Davos' death. Even if it means amputating the hand as proof. I wonder if he will show up in some future POV (after Davos III), one where he has some other identity.

• 3 months later...

My only complaint about this chapter is that all the gossip that Davos got was overload. Now how are we to know which rumors are true and which are false? Whats going on w/ the Maderly's? How about the Boltons and the other Northern Lords? What about Aegon? That was the real bombshell....

If there are rumours of Aegon, then does that mean that

ADWD 62: The Griffin Reborn has already happened, because that would make no sense whatsoever in terms of chronology

I don't know if I should ask this question somewhere else since this thread is so old...but...when Davos is listening to all the gossip, he hears them talking about the ship Sloe-Eyed Maid. This was one of the ship's Dany looked at for passage to Westeros, way back in ACoK. Davos makes it sound like something bad happened to the ship though...

"He knew what had befallen the Sloe-Eyed Maid. The gods were cruel to let a man sail across half the world, then send him chasing a false light when he was almost home."

"That captain was a braver man than me..."

Anybody know what Davos is talking about? I have a hard time keeping all the boats straight...what's this "false light"?

You remember how in the first Davos chapter he was eating all that delicious food full of spices etc? Well basically the people of Sisterton practice wrecking, which means that they put up false lights, attract merchant vessels to wreck themselves, and then pillage the shipwrecked boat. Which is how Davos and Lord Borrel came to be eating a dish with saffron and pepper in it (since the Sloe-eyed maid was stocked with Quartheen saffron and Volantene pepper, which are massively expensive).

Anyway so how long since Davos was at Sisterton? Or how many days does it take for Davos to get from Sisterton (where Davos learns of Lysa Tully's death at the hands of her singer) to White Harbour?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who really doesn't like Davos?

He whines about not seeing his family but can't seem to detach from his man-crush on Stannis. I find him very frustrating, and he's one of the few POVs I wish I could avoid!

Might say something about me though, seeing as the general consensus seems to be that he's honourable/"Ned Stark without stupidity" (someone mentioned that somewhere). Perhaps I just don't like the outright kind characters.

Am I the only one who really doesn't like Davos? He whines about not seeing his family but can't seem to detach from his man-crush on Stannis. I find him very frustrating, and he's one of the few POVs I wish I could avoid! Might say something about me though, seeing as the general consensus seems to be that he's honourable/"Ned Stark without stupidity" (someone mentioned that somewhere). Perhaps I just don't like the outright kind characters.

You are a woman without honor, lady Nymeria Snow. Brienne, your sword.

Reference to S02E07, in case you didn't notice.

• 8 months later...

Archived