[ADWD SPOILERS] Jon 4

Xray the Enforcer

Just finished the chapter and I disagree about that. Jon and Robb learned a lot, and the same, from Ned. If Roob won every battle he fought, why can't Jon know a bunch of stuff about the north? Besides, Robb was risen to be the Lord of Winterfell, Warden of the North some day, so Ned probably taught them every little thing he knew about his country.

When Jon talks about Arnolf Karstark, it doesn't mean he knows a lot about the man, it might be just the general sense about him, or Ned's thoughts as well.

Again, Ned never trusted Robb and Jon with anything more then wooden sword. Their education wasn't close to done yet. Robb won his battles because he had a dozen lords advising him and had at least some time to prepare for his next move. Jon is schooling Stannis just straight up on a moments notice from years old memories.

There's more to ruling than just the military side. It's been said that Ned included Robb in his councils and such. They may not have used an actual steel sword before Ned left Winterfell didn't mean he wasn't teaching them about life in the North. I'm sure he expected Jon to either be Robb's right hand man and/or have his own keep one day. Of course he was teaching them who the important players are, where things are located, etc. And Jon, being the observant fellow he is, probably noticed more than most when lords came to visit. I don't think it's all that much of a stretch at all for him to be able to advise Stannis.

There's more to ruling than just the military side. It's been said that Ned included Robb in his councils and such. They may not have used an actual steel sword before Ned left Winterfell didn't mean he wasn't teaching them about life in the North. I'm sure he expected Jon to either be Robb's right hand man and/or have his own keep one day. Of course he was teaching them who the important players are, where things are located, etc. And Jon, being the observant fellow he is, probably noticed more than most when lords came to visit. I don't think it's all that much of a stretch at all for him to be able to advise Stannis.

Completely agree.

To back up what Noelle just said, Ned also had to know that the Night's Watch was a possible future for Jon as well which would mean making him a competent warrior/leader/ranger had to be of utmost importance. Even if everything had gone well for the Starks, Jon would still have joined the Night's Watch at this age.

• 3 weeks later...

Stannis gets more awesome as time goes by, but I have a feeling he won't be returning from those mountains. I'm not sure though, unless he is going to be a POV character himself, there isn't going to be one with him anymore.

I agree a little with both sides of the argument about Jon and his tactics. He'd have been taught things here and there from Ned, but it was as if he'd suddenly had a role reversal with Stannis in that scene.

• 1 month later...

Yeah it seems much more likely that Ned taught Rob and Jon everything he knew about the North and war. I mean Ned was in the thick of 2 rebellions and ruled the North for the last 15 years. It seems almost a given that he would teach them the ways of war, and, more importantly, how to be a Lord. This was probably taught to Rob and maybe Bran, but I'm sure Jon was there as well. I mean if Bran knows all the Lords in the North from watching his father guest his bannermen, then isn't it obvious that Rob and Jon would know all of this too.

And Jon would surely have heard Ned talk about all his bannermen and their brothers, fathers, cousins. So it's very likely he remembered Ned, or one of his men saying of Arnolf, "he was never the fighter his father was". Arya or Bran might have even heard that.

And knowing that the Dreadfort is an extremely hard castle to mount a siege on would be common knowledge for a Stark boy as well. I mean it's not like the Starks have never had to rise up to beat down a rebel Northern house before, plus I'm sure Ned took Rob and maybe Jon along on visits to his bannermen 's homes. Even if Ned only took Rob, it seems pretty likely that Rob would have told Jon about everything he saw. Or if not Rob, then one of Ned's men might have described the Dreadfort.

Plus, even if Ned or his men didn't teach Jon about the North, Luwin did. Of that I'm sure. If he taught him about the stars and all the different banners, he taught him about their strongholds as well

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived