[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 5

Xray the Enforcer

I for one have no trouble believing that YG is Aegon. I would be surprised if the Targaryans hadn't done everything possible to protect their heirs. And it definitely doesn't take away from the possibility that Jon is Rhaegar's son also. Of course with Aegon, Jon, and Dany you'd have 3 heads of the dragon, eh?

Anyway, loved the chapter! So scary and with some good action to boot! I think Tyrion will have scored some points by defending the young prince and risking his life the way he did. I'm curious about what the intentions are when they reach Dany. Marry her to her nephew? I wonder if there will be a divide between Dany supporters and Aegon supporters. I assume they will need to ally in order to really have a chance, so Dany may have to suck up the fact that she's not going to be queen, unless something happens to young Aegon, that is.

This was just too easy for Tyrion. He was at the wall and spoke with all the men and still refused to believe there were actually Others and wights. Now he notices that a lad has purple eyes and is treated far above his position - and he jumps straightaway to the conclusion that it has to be Aegon, someone everybody thought was dead? I'm sorry, but I just don't buy it. No matter whether it will be true in the end or not - the mere fact that he figured that out is completely unbelievable, I find.

• 2 weeks later...
No matter whether it will be true in the end or not - the mere fact that he figured that out is completely unbelievable, I find.

Why is it so hard to believe? Tyrion's most defining attribute would have to be his brain. Ever since we were first introduced to him, he has been portrayed as quite intelligent and cunning. In addition, I think you may be overlooking the little token of information he won from Halfmaester Haldon after their cyvasse match.

Although we do not know how that little conversation played out, we do know that Tyrion came away from it with something he seemed pretty content to have. From reading the last two Tyrion chapters, we are led to believe that he was able to decipher, or at least confirm, his suspicions of this particular situation.

Brains != Melisandre-esque prophetic properties

Everybody always assumed Aegon was dead. There is no reason to suspect this wasn't true, in fact this whole plot device stinks, IMO. Anyone could pretend to be this-or-that-lord died in infancy, white hair is no DNA test or something, could be some Velaryon or what have you, they have that hair as well. In fact, it would have been more realistic if Tyrion had suspected Aegon to be Viserys or something.

Sure, Haldon may have confirmed his suspicions, but he had to have it figured out beforehand.

Hmm, well it seems that you have an issue with GRRM's storytelling, in which case I have no position to defend. I was merely attempting to present a plausible scenario for Tyrion's capability in deduction. Based on what we have read so far, we do not have much evidence to confirm his Tyrion's account anyway. He could be wrong. I, for one, would rather dead people stay dead.

• 3 weeks later...

I was stupid and read some bits and parts of ADWD when reading about characters in the Wiki, so I knew the reveal would come, but I did not know WHEN it would come, and damn it was awesome seeing Tyrion reveal himself and also reveal Rhaegar's son.

Tyrion is a Lannister (and I don't like em) but I can make exceptions.

Some say he could be a pretender, but I don't buy it - I don't know how he came to be saved, but knowing how Varys is a badass, we can expect anything and everything from him.

• 3 weeks later...

Tyrion, you smart little bastard! Haha, I knew they weren't who they were supposed to be, but Jon Connington and Aegon Targaryen? I didn't expect that at all! Nevertheless, I'm not hundred percent sure if it is Aegon, we don't know what Varys and Illyrio are up two.

But, guys, where the fuck is Varys?!

• 1 month later...

Tyrion spent most of his life reading books and thinking about the game of thrones. He definitely knows his stuff and definitely knows it better than any of us. GO TYRION! :D

But can there have been a worse moment to reveal his knowledge? This big mouth of his will get him killed one day. Or get him the throne. Or both. :-P

While he was blurting it all out I kept saying "Shut up! Shut up, dammit!" because I was sure they were going to kill him for that if it were true. I just hope saving the prince's life will gain him some credit in future and they will have some use for Tyrion. Otherwise, just letting him drown would be the most convenient option to keep their secrets.

I would view Tyrion like modern hackers: you could either try and "kill'em all". Or just use their knowledge in your favour and let them help you keep your secrets safe. Because if Tyrion can't figure something out, noone can. He's like the Mentalist. I just love him for that.

Big problem I see for Tyrion are the grey scales. If he conducted the disease from the stone zombie, not only will the rest of his poor life be cruel and agonizing (God, I didn't even know you could cripple the poor guy even further!), but also he will pose a threat to anyone in his surroundings, because he would be contagious.

Did anyone get why the hell there were all of those grey scale victims on that bridge? I mean, I get why they would put their sick people on an island far away, but why are they sitting on that bridge? Do they hope that someone takes them away with them? What are they eating? Or are they just being dropped off there to die? I am sure it was mentioned somewhere, but I admit I didn't pay a lot of attention.

It was an awesomely creepy chapter. And I thought it couldn't get any creepier after Reek!

i don't get it. by ADwD, Jon must already be 17. if YG=A, it doesn't make sense that YG's only 15 or 16. Aegon was born before Robert's Rebellion, Jon during.

but Tyrion may have only made a mistake abt YG's age. given the different environments he and Jon have grown up in, Jon is really like to be more mature by far, and they can still be the same age. but sometimes i think YG acts like a 12-yo. XD

Oh I have had deep and insightful conversations with some 12 year olds, while some 17 year old's judgements and statements make me want to facepalm. Same goes for stature, look at a class of 16 year olds and you'll notice almost grown-ups standing right next to children.

I can't imagine how much less accurate an age estimation would work in the world of GRRM, where you don't even have clothing, driver's license or school grades as a relation. Especially in or around puberty, young people are incredibly difficult to guess. And Jon's upbringing has been very different from Young Griff/Aegon's. "Kill the boy, Jon". He had no choice but to grow up while Aegon was kept in a golden cage.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ok so I love this place because I keep catching things I missed by reading the book; my mind melts with all these names. Jon Connington. So it's a big deal that big Griff is Jon. How do we know who Jon Connington is? Can someone please point me in the right direction where in the series he is mentioned before, and why he is so important. Sorry for the noobness.

• 3 months later...

How old are Jon Connington and Tyrion? I doubt Jon's appearance would've change so much over the years, and I'm sure Tyrion hasn't changed much either. Tyrion and Jon had to have recognized each other at some point during/after their latest meeting, though neither said anything to the other. Therefore, I believe that the only way Tyrion could be 100% sure he's found the real Aegon is for him to have recognized Jon Connington.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there. This is my first post here. I'm loving this forum so far.

I just wanna add that YG seems like a whole new Joffrey to me. His reactions and how Tyrion irritates him is like a flashback

YG doesn't seemed to be inclined to cruelty and sadism like Joffrey. YG may be immature and foolhardy like Joffrey, but those are the only mental characteristics they share so far.

• 6 months later...

Tyrion states "People will tell you I'm a kingslayer, a kinslayer........ .......all of them true". I was under the impression that it was the Queen of Thrones that killed Joff?

Tyrion has mentioned it a couple of times but I always assumed he was joking.

How old are Jon Connington and Tyrion? I doubt Jon's appearance would've change so much over the years, and I'm sure Tyrion hasn't changed much either. Tyrion and Jon had to have recognized each other at some point during/after their latest meeting, though neither said anything to the other. Therefore, I believe that the only way Tyrion could be 100% sure he's found the real Aegon is for him to have recognized Jon Connington.

Tyrion was only 10 at the time of the Battle of the Trident and mentioned at one point he had only seen Rhaegar 2-3 times. It's unlikely he'd have seen Connington before, and if he had, he would of just been a face in a crowd with no significance to Tyrion, and no reason for him to remember his face.

Can't decide whether it is true or not but I loooooooooooooove it!

Just a question... Who's Ashara Dayne, again? Can't remember. There are so many names in this series!

Ashara is mentioned by Podrick earlier in the series. My memorys a bit hazy but Ned had a fling with her and I'm sure it was made out she's Jon's mother (though not confirmed). She committed suicide around about the time of Robert's Rebellion.

She was Arthur Dayne's sister. (Jaimie mentions how brilliant a knight he was quite often in his POVs).

Archived