[ADWD SPOILERS] Reek 2

Xray the Enforcer

• 2 weeks later...

I had a question on this chapter. when Reek goes to get the ironborn does he know what Ramsey intends to do to them or does he believe Ramsey's promise that they will be given food and treated well? I originally thought Reek believed they would be treated well but now not positive and wondered what everybody else thinks?

• 3 weeks later...

Wow the crannogmen certainly did a number on the people holding Moat Cailin. I felt kinda glad hearing this because it means the way North isn't blocked off from everyone now (I mean it sucks that Roose's army will be the first ones through but...).

Also "Arya" is Jeyne Poole? I always assumed that she was taken away from Sansa, raped and killed and I felt really bad for her when Cersei got rid of her. Also I always wondered where the Theon/Jeyne shipping came from but I guess this is it and I'll have to read more

I liked Theon's character, and his life as the Bastard of Bolton's Reek is just a pain to read, but they are beautifully written. The two chapters have been a very emotional ride. Ramsey Snow's a desperately twisted man. The torture that Theon received has made him to question his own personality! He's afraid to even name himself Theon Greyjoy anymore.

• 4 weeks later...

No, i think that refers to the event from A Clash of Kings when Reek is revealed as Ramsay, but the Reek in this book is Theon who was tortured into believing he is Ramsay's servent .

I was confused about this too. I thought I'd be getting Ramsay's POV when I saw the first Reek chapter. Reek is just a nightmare created by that sick Bolton bastard. He completely preyed upon Theon and took advantage of the situation. Gods I hope he gets what's coming to him!

• 3 weeks later...
How does Reek know the girl is jeyne ? I always thought Sansa met her at Kings Landing and theon hasnt been there...how does he know her?

Sansa and Jeyne are childhood friends who grew up together at Winterfell, so naturally Theon would have been in contact with her on a regular basis. Jeyne's father was a part of Ned's household guard if I recall correctly.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Reek's POV is so well written, it blows me away. I just want to skip ahead and read the rest of his chapters.

I agree with what a lot of people have been saying about how I never thought that I could find myself sympathizing with Theon Turncloak. But as Reek, he really is so pitiful that you can't help but feel for him.

Also, I'm so glad that they're finally introducing fake!Arya. Interesting that it turned out to be Jeyne Poole, I figured that she had been killed off. Why would she agree to play the part of Arya, though? Anyway, I'm interested to see how that goes, especially given how much of a dick Bolton is.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the reason I find it easy to sympathise with Reek is that he doesn't have Theon's poor characteristics - arrogance, pride, misogyny, selfishness et cetera. He's just a completely broken creature with the same memories as Theon.

• 3 weeks later...

An interesting detail I'd like to share. In AGoT, in Bran's chapter where Tyrion visits Winterfell on his way back from the Wall with the drawing of a special saddle for Bran, there's sort of short presentation of Hodor with description of his apprearance and explanation of why he's called Hodor. And there Bran recalls how Theon (Theon of all people at Winterfell, not anyone else) once have joked that at least Hodor knew his name.

Might be a coincidence, but I think not: back then GRRM already knew what he was going to do to Theon...

I agree, the only reason I remotely feel any sort of sympathy for Theon is because there is no real trace of *him* anymore... That and if it's a battle of someone vs. Ramsay, I'll always side with that someone else. How can you not?

I love the twist that Jeyne Poole is the fake Arya. But if you think about it, it makes complete sense. Who else would be of an age with the Stark girls and also have an extensive and intimate knowledge of what went on at Winterfell? She's the perfect impostor. The question is whether or not she will borrow some of that Stark strength and help revolt against Ramsay or if she'll roll over and do what is demanded of her.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never ever thought I would feel sorry for Theon. He came across as sleazy, arrogant and a bit of a prick lol. The details of his torture made a shiver run down my spine and I do feel sympathy to a certain extent. However, he did betray Robb and kill two innocent children and made them out to be Bran and Rickon so that people will think they are dead. I am in two minds about him. On one side, I think he got what's coming to him, but on the other hand, I think the punishment he received was way too severe and something I wouldn't wish on anyone....

It will be interesting to see where he ends up though, and if he and Jayne Poole will work together to escape the Bolton's clutches. I feel so sorry for Jayne to have landed that as a husband. :(

i've always liked theon. his being a prick is his best quality. highly entertaining. my top three characters are tyrion, davos, and theon, and in the last three chapters 2 of them are on the verge of death, and theon is a shell of a man who's probably better off dead. yikes.

I cannot believe the tortures that Theon went through to become Reek. GRRM's writing/mind is quite scary in this regard. You can totally visualize the shell that Theon has become. I think the saddest part was where he didn't want to lose his rags for new clothes..... a truly broken man. Despite what he did before, I do find myself feeling sorry for him and hoping that he can pull through and become Theon again.

After Clash of Kings I never thought I would feel sorry for Theon Turncloak, but man it sucks to be him.

Man I started feeling sorry for him the moment I figured out who he was in the first Reek chapter. I was all ready for Robb to get his revenge before the RW. Now I can't believe I'm pulling for the guy. GRRM has made my emotions Turncloakish LOL..

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah for once I guessed back in the end of aSOS that Jeyne Poole was the fake Arya.

Jaime had a line saying he thinks she is too old to be Arya, and I knew at one point she would be dragued out of one of Littlefinger's brothel were she was hidden.

COnsidering the girl was all alone, I assumed the promise of a better future than whore in King's Landing was enough for her to take the part of fake Arya. Wonder how and when she will recognise Theon, and if those two are going to bond.

ON another level, I was glad to eventually have news of the crannogmen, and to see how fierce ennemies they are. Can't wait to have them fully on board.

Archived