[ADWD SPOILERS] The Windblown

Xray the Enforcer

This chapter was the biggest let down so far, IMO.

So Quentyn is having second thoughts...cool.

Yea, I don't really see the necessity of the first two Quentyn chapters. We already knew he was on his way, so the actual journey could just be summed up in a couple of paragraphs later. I don't really like this increase of half-important POV characters. The earlier books seemed much more well crafted, where he stuck to a few POV characters but still managed to tell the important parts of the story. I feel like the Martin of today would have spent 5 chapters detailing Robbs adventures in the Westlands in aCoK. That is my only major complaint about this book right now, though.

This chapter didn't irk me as bad as his first, but I'm still not thrilled. His first chapter reeked of generic travelogue, as did Tyrion's first couple, but Tyrion's story has gotten a little more interesting, though not by his own hand. I agree with Maginor that his story so far could have been summed up with a few paragraphs, he is reminding me of the Damphair's chapters. That's not a good thing. Just think of the chapters we could have had instead of these. I'm not without hope though, Martin usually seems to deliver.

I don't get why Quenton's chapters aren't labeled for his name. Furthermore, I'm finding his chapters wholly uninteresting. What's he gonna do if he gets to Mereen? "Oh hey Dany, I might look like a sellsword but I'm actually from Dorne and will you marry me? PLEASE!?!?"

It works like this: Dothraki capture people and bring them to the Slaver's Bay.

There they are trained to be the best slaves and then sold to the free cities such as Volantis.

This is a very big business involving most of Essos and making lots of powerful people rich and well, more powerful.

Then Daenerys gets in the middle of Slaver's Bay and frees all the slaves that are there, effectively ruining all this business.

That pisses a bunch of people off, and they start to move against her.

It works like this: Dothraki capture people and bring them to the Slaver's Bay.

There they are trained to be the best slaves and then sold to the free cities such as Volantis.

This is a very big business involving most of Essos and making lots of powerful people rich and well, more powerful.

Then Daenerys gets in the middle of Slaver's Bay and frees all the slaves that are there, effectively ruining all this business.

That pisses a bunch of people off, and they start to move against her.

So are all of the free cities against her? She lost Astapor and Yunkai after she left them? I know Xo is from Qarth and he's pissed. Have all the other cities joined against her?

So are all of the free cities against her? She lost Astapor and Yunkai after she left them? I know Xo is from Qarth and he's pissed. Have all the other cities joined against her?

IIRC, Astapor's where she took the Unsullied.

Right after that she killed the local slavers and left a council to rule the city.

I don't remember very well about Yunkai, I think she invades it but doesn't really destroy it or anything, so as soon as she leaves the slavers take control of the city again.

Yunkai hires a bunch of sellswords companies such as the Windblowns to attack Astapor, making way to war against Dany.

And these are the cities at the Slaver's Bay.

Meanwhile, other people are being affected by the rupture in the slavery business, Qarth being one of them, so they join the war against Dany.

Are the free cities themselves going after Dany? It seems like her enemies are largely from Yunkai, New Ghis, and a melange of sellsword companies (not to mention the Harpy's Sons within Meereen).

Oh right I keep forgetting about Qarth. That's a Free City too, right?

Qarth is not a free city. In fact Qarth lies in the east, near the Jade Sea. That was where Dany encounter the warlocks and Selmy and Strong Belwas. The Free Cities are concerned too, bc they also rely on the slave trade, even though it is technically outlawed. You saw the slaves Illyrio owned in Pentos. Braavos is the only Free City that doesn't oppose Dany, mainly bc the Braavosi were originally escaped slaves themselves.

I can't remember correctly, but I think the Volantine nobility were opposed to Dany as well. However the only cities to put forth troops against Mereen are Yunkai and New Ghis, since they are the ones closest and dependent on the slave trade.

Qarth is not a free city. In fact Qarth lies in the east, near the Jade Sea. That was where Dany encounter the warlocks and Selmy and Strong Belwas. The Free Cities are concerned too, bc they also rely on the slave trade, even though it is technically outlawed. You saw the slaves Illyrio owned in Pentos. Braavos is the only Free City that doesn't oppose Dany, mainly bc the Braavosi were originally escaped slaves themselves.

I can't remember correctly, but I think the Volantine nobility were opposed to Dany as well. However the only cities to put forth troops against Mereen are Yunkai and New Ghis, since they are the ones closest and dependent on the slave trade.

But that Xo dude got pissed and sent a bloody glove to Dany after she refused to leave Meereen, so I think his Thirteen are going to war with her too. I believe Qarth is dependant on the slave trade as well.

Braavos is the only Free City that doesn't oppose Dany

I wonder if this will come into play at some point. I think it's plausible that Dany might actually turn to the Faceless Men at some point...I wonder who might come to aid her? :smoking:

Archived