[ADWD SPOILERS] The Windblown

Xray the Enforcer

I feel like the Martin of today would have spent 5 chapters detailing Robbs adventures in the Westlands in aCoK.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. It's like he forgot that he can tell us about things that happen off-screen through exposition.

And all these sellsword companies and all the tedious descriptions of their outfits and hair dos. Zzzzzzzzz.

• 2 weeks later...

Is it just me who likes Quentyn? He seems like he has the potential to be a great character, I just don't understand his significance at all. He doesn't seem like the type of person Dany could truly love (in a husband sense) so that dampens his chances with her and also, he is not the heir of Dorne and he doesn't have an army and Dorne is one of the leats populated areas in Westeros. His father isn't rebelling (yet) against the Lannisters...

I am very curious. He is a bit like Gendry for me; I really want him to be important in the grand scheme of things, but I can't figure out how......

Oh and whoever started that crackpot theory of Pretty Meris = Tysha...ILY I TOTALLY SUPPORT THAT THEORY NOW :P

Is it just me who likes Quentyn? He seems like he has the potential to be a great character, I just don't understand his significance at all. He doesn't seem like the type of person Dany could truly love (in a husband sense) so that dampens his chances with her and also, he is not the heir of Dorne and he doesn't have an army and Dorne is one of the leats populated areas in Westeros. His father isn't rebelling (yet) against the Lannisters...

I am very curious. He is a bit like Gendry for me; I really want him to be important in the grand scheme of things, but I can't figure out how......

Oh and whoever started that crackpot theory of Pretty Meris = Tysha...ILY I TOTALLY SUPPORT THAT THEORY NOW :P

Pretty Meris more screams to me of another PoV character, over 6 feet tall, Female, not pretty but with skill at arms?

sound like anyone we know?

I don't think Pretty Meris is Tysha, but we haven't ever really learned much about Lady Tarth.

Pretty Meris more screams to me of another PoV character, over 6 feet tall, Female, not pretty but with skill at arms?

sound like anyone we know?

I don't think Pretty Meris is Tysha, but we haven't ever really learned much about Lady Tarth.

Unless the timeline has already moved way past the end of Feast, this can't be Brienne. Plus, didn't they mention Meris as being there for a long time? 20 years or something?

I don't get why Quenton's chapters aren't labeled for his name.

It's not new, but it's annoying. It's one thing when it's a POV character that only has one chapter like Arys or a POV that is having identity issues like Sansa and Arya, but I don't get why this is necessary with someone like Quentyn or Arianne or the Greyjoys.

Exactly. That's what I'm saying. It's like he forgot that he can tell us about things that happen off-screen through exposition.

And all these sellsword companies and all the tedious descriptions of their outfits and hair dos. Zzzzzzzzz.

And they get more and more over the top.. I don't remember any of the Essos people in the previous books being as ridiculous. I mean, an entire squad of super-tall people dressed like pink herons, on stilts and with beaks and feathers, really? They all sound like a nightmare to illustrate. If the comic gets that far and the artist can't skip drawing all those companies, I don't envy them.

I like Quentyn so far, though, so I don't mind his chapters all that much. I'm glad that he's about to reach Meereen.

I don't get why Quenton's chapters aren't labeled for his name. Furthermore, I'm finding his chapters wholly uninteresting. What's he gonna do if he gets to Mereen? "Oh hey Dany, I might look like a sellsword but I'm actually from Dorne and will you marry me? PLEASE!?!?"

Ugh, I know. It's frustrating to have to try to figure out who I'm reading about. Just say it's Quentyn and be done with it.

I don't think Meris is Tysha. She's described as being over 6' tall; I'm pretty sure that would have been in Tyrion's memory of her.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting theory about Tysha. I'm not sure why she'd change her name, but it could happen.

I like the way this is going now. Seems like there is quite the potential for turn-cloaking with these armies. If someone turns the tide a bit in Dany's favor, all the sellswords could end up fighting for her instead. Maybe she'll end up really making a difference with the slaves.

I actually hope that Dany falls for Quentyn. Sure he's not her type, but maybe he should be. :)

I agree with Maginor that his story so far could have been summed up with a few paragraphs, he is reminding me of the Damphair's chapters.

Umh, the Damphair's chapters were good. We learned a lot about the Iron Islands (who are an important player), the Drowned God, etc. Plus the Damphair is a real character. Everybody surely hates him, but he is believable and he is fleshed-out.

Quentyn is just a dull, boring whiner nobody would care about if he weren't Martell.

And yes, we know that the Slavers are all stupid ugly monsters. No need to make the point even more explicit. This is coming off more and more like a caricature where before I always admired GRRM's realism as to the shades of grey people can assume instead of just black and white.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a feeling we are being shown Quentyn's path as a way to fully acclimate us with his character...before GRRM brings the axe down on him.

I get a sense that this journey will not only end in failure of his set goal, to marry Dany, but it will also end Quentyn's life. When looking back on the Quentyn storyline, we will see it as a 'doomed from the start' voyage. Doran knows this outcome is not only possible, but likely, and yet he sends his son into this situation as a last hope.

Of course, I could be completely wrong, and only reading through will tell. I don't have a rooting interest either way, this is just the hunch I have building up.

• 2 months later...

I'm trying really hard to like and care about Quentyn. I really, really am.

But it's so difficult.

I feel like his characters is introduced too late in the series. There's already enough characters that I care about, and am eager to read about. So, trying to build a relationship with Quentyn is proving to be impossible.

• 1 month later...

I ve just started to realize, that the ASOIAF deals a lot with identity issues and changes

to sum it all up:

Arya > Arry > Waeasel > Cat of the Canals etc. etc.

Sansa > Alice

Reek > Ramsay Snow the Bastard of Bolton

Theon > Reek

Jeyne > Arya

Tyrion > Yollo or Hugor

Catelyn > Lady Stoneheart

Young Griff > Aegon

Griff > Connington

Quentin > Frog

two dead children > Bran and Rickon

The old man (forget the name) > Ser Barristan

and don't forget all the wargings

did I leave out somebody?

• 1 month later...

I was Reading the Windblown Chapter, I read a line that made me laugh out loud and left me wondering if it's a Monty Python reference

page 325 in my copy, i think Books, Beans and Dick Straw were talking about the unsullied about having to face the queens real unsullied

"....the dragon's queen has got the real item, the kind that don't break and run when you fart in their general direction" HAHAHA GOOD STUFF!!!

there's no doubt in my mind if George intentionally put that in there as a reference, just wondering if anyone else has an opinion on the matter????

Archived