[ADWD SPOILERS] Davos 4

Xray the Enforcer

hold on hold on... it says in Rickon's wiki page that Wex " followed Rickon and Osha to Skagos"!? so Wex has been to Skagos and back? this just made things more confusing and leaves me with more questions askljdg;

Maybe Wex is an awesome swimmer? If so, we need a Westeros olympics where its Wex vs. Blackfish in the swimming events.

Why does GRRM decide to end the Davos chapters here? It seems strange - it seems like the first four Davos chapters are spaced out fairly evenly throughout the first half of the book, but then they all but disappear in the second half. Is GRRM planning something re: Davos and Rickon's return?

Yeah, it seems kind of weird. In AFFC he only had three Sansa/Arya chapter, but they were scattered evenly throughout the book. Maybe he just didn't want to write about yet another character travelling around (I have no idea how long it would take him to get form White Harbor to Skagos) since he's already doing that with Tyrion, Griff, Quentyn, etc. I guess TWOW will start with him arriving on Skagos.

Skagos is 1650 miles from White Harbour (by boat)

So I guess it depends on how fast Davos's boat is

http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?466330-Travel-times-of-a-laden-medieval-merchant-ship-no-coconut

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the right place to discuss this, but I haven't finished ADwD so I don't wanna accidentally create a discussion that will lead to spoilers, so does anyone think Davos may be Azor Ahai reborn? He probably most closely matches someone who was "born in salt and fire" (the battle of blackwater he became unconscious and awoke on an island). The biggest counter argument is that he doesn't have the blood of the dragon, but I don't think there is actually anything in the prophecy that states Azor Ahai reborn must have the blood of the dragon. Is there anyone else in the Davos camp?

• 3 weeks later...

Can someone please remind me who Wex is?

Wex became Theon's squire, he was there when Theon raided the Stony Shore, took Winterfell and went on the hunt for Bran and Rickon.

EDIT: He is a bastard of Lord Botley, he was made a squire in exchange for a deal between Theon and Botley about a horse, or something. Source: the Wiki.

i don't get how and why Skagos tho. it wouldn't make sense that Rickon and Osha got aboard a ship on White Harbor, only for Manderly to order Davos to bring them back. but then Wex is in White Harbor, and he's been following the two... until when, we don't know, but we can assume Rickon and Osha took off somewhere near there.

but then the only reason a ship from the east would arrive at Skagos is perhaps to sail toward Eastwatch. otherwise, why would a Westerosi ship want to stop at Skagos? perhaps to trade goods?

The likely scenario is a Wex followed them to White Harbour, or perhaps to some smuggler's cove near White Harbour, and saw them board a Skagosi ship that had come south to trade or smuggle. He could have watch the ship sail north and safely conclude the ship was going home to Skagos.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Best chapter.... EVER!!!

Wyman Manderly what a boss!

also when we rewatching the season 2 finale i looked out for Wex on the weirwood tree at Luwin's death! (i had hoped).. i saw a shadow and got a fright... but on rewinding and pausing....

The north remembers!! :D

What a relief really... the North remembers indeed!

Anyone else wondered what destination might be so horrible that Davos would prefer to go back to the dungeons? Couldn't be the crannogmen then, could it?

That part really left me startled.

I loved hearing about Rickon after such a long time and I wonder what kind of person has become of him, too. In Winterfell he didn't seem that understanding of the neccessities of the circumstances, but then again, he was (IS) only a little boy who's lost everything in a war he isn't able to understand in the least bit. I also think that Osha may be a good influence on him rather than a bad one. She's really proven her loalty to the boys and Maester Luwin seems to have trusted her. The idea to come back to Winterfell and hide in the combs was also her idea wasn't it?

I'm really excited to get to the events that take place at the Bolton wedding and the departing gifts... The Freys and Boltons seem to have become one of the true villains in a sense that you can't find yourself symphatizing with them in any way.

Has anybody wondered about the consequences of Davos "betraying" Stannis though? Sure he has to do it to save his life and he's already dead to the world, but if one thing is certain it's his true loyalty to Stannis.

That was just a thilling chapter.

i wonder how the Manderleys are keeping Wex out of sight from fthe Freys? And teaching him to write so they know the whole story of what happened at Winterfell.

It looks like the North is going to revolt against the Boltons.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

This is probably the best chapter in the book. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it's one of the best of the entire series. Brilliant turn of events and the introduction to one of the greatest characters in Wyman Manderly (I only say introduction because he wasn't being his true self in the previous Davos chapter).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Just finished this chapter, unbelievable. Originally when Manderly said bring in the boy I thought he was going to bring in Rickon himself. Still curious where this storyline is headed.

I read it last night and my first thought was "omg, they're gonna find him and they're going to marry him to Shireen".

I hope they do...it's one of the fastest ways of getting the Starks back in power.

• 2 weeks later...

So excited for the moment Davos shows up with Rickon and Shaggydog. Should be epic.

I've always visualized Rickon as the next great Lord of Winterfell, but (at least at first) I think he will be more "Wildling" than Stark. While Osha will teach him of the North, she can't give him a maester-like education, and may not even see the importance of returning home.

Archived