[ADWD SPOILERS] Davos 4

Xray the Enforcer

I loved this chapter and the previous Davos chapter. Its awesome to see that the North hasn't given up on the Starks and still backs them even if they have to do it in secret. It awesome to finally hear about Rickon again too and with Bran seemingly off doing other things it looks like the Westeros hide and seek champion with help from our favourite smuggler will be the one to reunite the Northern bannermen under the direwolf once more.

This.

Davos is one of my favorite characters and his referenced death in AFFC made me nervous. I'm also glad that the true version Bolton/Frey betrayal is making rounds in the north. This might be the first time I'll be cheering for Stannis if he breaks House Bolton and Frey.

This is huge! What a wonderful chapter, Davos has had some of the best chapters in the book so far - and I've never really looked forward to his chapters before.

A couple of points that I was wondering about:

* Does anyone think that Manderley is trying to undercut the Bolton claim to Winterfell, with the hope of marrying little Wylla to Rickon? This would have such a big impact on the story, as well as Stannis' dilemma of which of the Queen's Men to give the castle to. I also think part of it stems from the disputed Hornwood lands. I'm very excited to see what is next for the men of White Harbour.

* I had totally forgotten about Wex - nicely done Mr Martin!

* I think it must be Skagos, we know how difficult it is to travel around the island and how dangerous it is. I think that this chapter gives the Samwell chapter around Skagos a lot more context! Excellent!

* I think it must be Skagos, we know how difficult it is to travel around the island and how dangerous it is. I think that this chapter gives the Samwell chapter around Skagos a lot more context! Excellent!

Still the question remains,how did a wildling woman and a boy manage to get to Skagos with its treacherous shores and all?

Also why did they pick that of all places on earth? (even some hells might be better!) Maester Luwin had urged them to go to White Harbor or Last Hearth

certainly, one of the most satisfying chapters, in a long time. Had been hoping Davos would follow Saan into a life of piracy, in the narrow sea, but this is better. And we are spared adding yet another lord to the hate list.

Great chapter!

Why would Rikkon/Osha be on Skagos? When they left Winterfell, Bran and company were headed north and Rikkon was heading south. Is this not correct?

I'm talking from memory here, but I think that the text just said that they took opposite directions. Since Bran headed to the Wall, many of us interpreted that Rickon was going south (to the White Harbor or the crannogmen). But the evidence was weak in any case.

* Does anyone think that Manderley is trying to undercut the Bolton claim to Winterfell, with the hope of marrying little Wylla to Rickon? This would have such a big impact on the story, as well as Stannis' dilemma of which of the Queen's Men to give the castle to. I also think part of it stems from the disputed Hornwood lands. I'm very excited to see what is next for the men of White Harbour.

Agreed, and I must say that I would be delighted with Rickon and Wylla ending the series as Lords of Winterfell.

* I think it must be Skagos, we know how difficult it is to travel around the island and how dangerous it is.

Skaagos is my first thoughy too. They have been described as cannibals before. But...

* I had totally forgotten about Wex - nicely done Mr Martin!

The only think that I haven't liked from this chapter is that I find it difficult to believe that a boy as Wex could manage to follow, unnoticed, a wildling and a wolf through hundreds of leagues. And feed himself during the trip. And even then, how would he know that they were going to Skaagos? Once Osha and Rickon reached a shore and boarded a ship, how could a mute know were they were heading?

Also why did they pick that of all places on earth? (even some hells might be better!) Maester Luwin had urged them to go to White Harbor or Last Hearth

Osha is a Wildling, and the Skaagosi seem more wildling than Northern in culture. Perhaps she has some friends there.

Has the idea been put forward that Osha chose Skaagos because nobody would look for Rickon there - but also because it is an island. Unless the shivering sea freezes over, which I don't see why it would, Skaagos would be safe from the encroaching doom of the White Walkers.

Agreed, and I must say that I would be delighted with Rickon and Wylla ending the series as Lords of Winterfell.

I'd love that too. The North Remembers.

Has the idea been put forward that Osha chose Skaagos because nobody would look for Rickon there - but also because it is an island. Unless the shivering sea freezes over, which I don't see why it would, Skaagos would be safe from the encroaching doom of the White Walkers.

I'd love that too. The North Remembers.

Didn't think of the Others angle. But I did assume they would have gone there because nobody would think to look. You could have made a case for going to the crannogmen, but White Harbor always seemed like a foolish risk. Even if they could trust Manderly implicitly (seems like they could have but they couldn't have known that), it would have been one of the first places to look I would think.

People I 100% forgot about: Wex.

I cheered when they mentioned Rickon. And I FLIPPED A SH*T when they mentioned cannibals at the end of the chapter. COULD IT BE SKAGOS? There are no words for the excellence in this chapter, man. Really makes me want more Davos now.

Still the question remains,how did a wildling woman and a boy manage to get to Skagos with its treacherous shores and all?

They probably got stranded there. We might find out what happened to those shipwrecked there from Samwell and Davos crew

Davos is great. I love the man. I thought Martin was one with Davos after his great ending chapter in SOS, but now he gets a arc that could be VERY interesting.

Surely I'm not the only one that realized Manderly was lying in the previous Davos chapter? He was way to harsh when sentencing Davos to death. A big contrast from the fat man that we read about from Catelyn's chapter.

I've been waiting for a surviving witness from the ruined Winterfell to show up! And I agree, Manderly was pleasantly surprising compared to what we have thus heard. Makes me wonder what we'll see from the lord at Horn Hill if he ever shows...

Randyl Tarly (Sam's pappy) is the lord of horn hill. We've heard "much and more" of him from the Sam chapters in AFFC, and he was in the flesh in a Brienne chapter in same book. He's a total dink.

Good Davos chapter, though I knew after the previous Davos chapter that he wasn't actually going to die. Still, really surprised at how it all unfolded, didn't expect him to be sent to Skaagos (I really believe this is where it is opposed to any other possibility simply because we know there are cannibals there) to look for Rickon. Really looking forward to seeing how the rest of this arc will play out. Manderly is the fucking man!

Rickon and shaggy dog have always been untamed and not very disciplined... Running away to (possibly) Skagos with Ossa should have probably increased these traits. Wonder what the new Rickon is going to be like.

And I concur, Manderly is the fucking man.

Archived