[ADWD SPOILERS] Davos 4

Xray the Enforcer

Wow wow wow- was pretty sure Davos wasn't going to die but that doesn't make the chapter any less awesome! Goosebumps all the way through, from as soon as the red cloak was revealed as a Glover I was grinning, there was a "surely not" moment when he said "bring in the boy", then "the North remembers"... Man, AWESOME chapter.

My main question is how did they get to Skagos, if that is where they went?

Strangest thought this chapter: if I was Manderly, I'd be pissed that Wex ruined my wall hanging when he could have quite easily have pointed. Not that I'm complaining, Wex seems pretty great!

So, we know of Rickon's whereabouts that he's going somewhere with cannibals, and we see in Jon I Shaggydog fighting a unicorn. So, definitely Skagos.

The main questions I have are just, why Skagos? And how did Wex know that they were going to Skagos instead of somewhere else in that general region?

There must be more to Wex's story than we've heard so far. Osha and Rickon couldn't have ended up in Skaagos from a shipwreck, otherwise Wex wouldn't have known that's where they are. I'm thinking they deliberately took a ship there, and either there was a conversation between them and Wex about it, or Wex got it from a ship's captain when they returned. As to the why... is it possible Osha has some connection to the people of Skaagos, before she came South? We don't really know anything about her back story, IIRC.

I'm kinda confused about where everyone's going now. Glover tells Davos that Roose has ordered all the northern Lords to pledge fealty at Barrowton, but Manderly says that he must go to Winterfell to bend the knee. :blink:

Whatever happens, I hope that Davos is quick about it. With any luck he'll be back in time for the Manderly girl's marriage to the Freys. :devil:

I'm kinda confused about where everyone's going now. Glover tells Davos that Roose has ordered all the northern Lords to pledge fealty at Barrowton, but Manderly says that he must go to Winterfell to bend the knee. :blink:

That confused me as well. The second I read that I thought "aren't they going to Barrowton???"

I really liked this chapter and as others said, I knew Davos wasn't going to die with his hands and head on a spike.

One discrepancy though, in AFFC, doesn't Cersei say that she demanded Davos' head after hearing that he's at White Harbor? Or am I mistaken?

I really liked this chapter and as others said, I knew Davos wasn't going to die with his hands and head on a spike.

One discrepancy though, in AFFC, doesn't Cersei say that she demanded Davos' head after hearing that he's at White Harbor? Or am I mistaken?

Does that have to be a discrepancy?

Was I the only one who went nuts when Manderly said "bring the lad"?

I really thought that we'd see Rickon right there and I was all "fuck yeah Rickon!", only to find that it was Wex instead.

I also found it weird that Shaggydog didn't get Wex's scent.

Could it be that Osha told the boy to go to White Harbor and bring the message to Maderly?

Maester Luwin tells them to go to White Harbor so maybe that'd influence Osha in trusting this much on Wyman?

One thing I didn't like was:

He had seen the inside of a few gaols and dungeons in his smuggling days, but those he'd shared with other prisoners, so there was always someone to talk with, to share your fears and hopes.

As far as I remember Davos stays quite a few days locked by himself in the dungeons of Dragonstone in ASOS when he intends to kill Melisandre, no?

My first thought was Skagos. It's on the right side of the continent for Davos, and I thought cannibalism was one of the things Skagosi were known for (rightly or wrongly?). Though it's totally far away from where Osha and Rickon started and more or less in the same direction Bran et al were travelling.

However for Wex to follow them far enough to know they went to Skagos then down to White Harbour is a huge stretch. But where else does Wyman need a man who can sail the open seas to go that's got such a frightening reputation, which is still part of Westeros and close to (even South of) White Harbour?

Maybe it is to Greywater Watch, and it's just that Davos has some Southron misunderstanding about the nature of the Crannogs. He can sail down from White harbour and land on the East cost not far from Greywater Watch.

Anyway, I always had confidence that Wyman Manderly wouldn't kill Davos. But I admit to having a few doubts when Wyman so vehemantly called for his head and hands. The Manderlys obviously come from a line of skilled mummers if he not only had Davos convinced but also the suspicious Freys.

I can't wait to find out if we see Osha and Rickon in this book. I certainly wans't expecting to see through the Davos PoV. The GoT TV audience are gonna love Davos the lucky survivor.

Was I the only one who went nuts when Manderly said "bring the lad"?

I really thought that we'd see Rickon right there and I was all "fuck yeah Rickon!", only to find that it was Wex instead.

I also found it weird that Shaggydog didn't get Wex's scent.

Could it be that Osha told the boy to go to White Harbor and bring the message to Maderly?

Maester Luwin tells them to go to White Harbor so maybe that'd influence Osha in trusting this much on Wyman?

One thing I didn't like was:

As far as I remember Davos stays quite a few days locked by himself in the dungeons of Dragonstone in ASOS when he intends to kill Melisandre, no?

One of the florents, the previous hand was locked with him

One of the florents, the previous hand was locked with him

Not for a good while.

Axell Florent is brought to the cell three days past Davos is visited by Melisandre.

And the narrative suggests that the visit takes place at least a few days after he is taken captive.

When taken, he's ill and his lips broke with blood blisters.

He has dim memories of Maester Pylos tending to him, milk of the poppy, being leeched.

When Melisandre comes he has stopped coughing and the blisters have vanished.

This is from Davos 3 in ASOS - page 344 or location 6373 on the Kindle edition.

Sry it was Alester Florent. Wasn't he burned to get favorable winds? Besides Davos wasnt alone the whole time. His imprisonment in wolf's den was. He then talked to Florent about his hopes and fears, as did Florent. So no it was not wholy solitary confinement.

Oops, yeap, it was Alester, my bad. And yeap, he was burned.

When Alester is brought to the cells Davos talks to him, it's true.

But he stays alone in the cell for many days before Alester is brought by Axell. All alone.

Except for the visits of the gaolers, but these wouldn't talk to him either, he even names them Porridge and Lamprey after the food they bring him.

I definitely think Skaagos as well.. although, weirdly, I am less worried about meeting these cannibals than I am about Rickon himself.

He has lived almost half of his young life without his parents now, and he was already starting to get really wild and angry a year or two ago, and Shaggydog is savage as hell, and now he's on an island with a great big angry wolf who he likely wargs into intentionally or unintentionally without understanding the implications of doing it too often (being too young), a bunch cannibals and a wildling woman...

Hmmm... what state is this boy going to be in?

Archived