[ADWD SPOILERS] Tyrion 8

Xray the Enforcer

So Doom of Valyria = super volcano?

At first I thought the shadow of the one-eyed twisted thing with 10 arms chasing Dany was probably Euron, one eye and 10 arms for a kraken but Eurons eye is blue not black so I have no idea.

Also Tyrion/Penny It is known (George just wants HBO to have some kinky dwarf scenes).

Tyrion VII:

Another great chapter with Tyrion continuing his quest towards Dany. I think that some of the passages in this chapter might be the best writing that George has done for the book, particularly when Tyrion is contemplating the vast empty sea and his dialogue with Penny. We are introduced to an important new character Moloquo – or Mr Eko (If Lost’s Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje doesn’t play him in the show I’d be gutted).

Notes from this chapter:

• This ship is the ‘stinky steward’ or maybe ‘perfumed seneschal’. What is it about this ship that Dany needs to beware? My guess would be Jorah Mormont, as Tyrion is already part of Quaithe's prophecy.

• Molquos prophecy, I do think he means Euron here.

• Penny, I love Penny recounting exactly the effects of Cersei declaring a lordship for a Dwarfs head. It is definitely bringing home the human drama.

I am not a fan of the Tyrion/Penny thing. Not sure where GRRM is going with it, but if it turns out to be a coupling (seems to me there are signs both for/against that) then I will disappointed.

I just think it would be amazingly cliche.

What I would like to see is a good brother/sister relationship develop here. Lord knows Tyrion could use a good 'sister' influence (even one so young)!

Did anyone else start trying to do the math when Tyrion guessed Penny's age and found out her mother had not been a dwarf but her father had? It would be on par with Darth Vader built C3PO, but for a second I thought she was going to turn out to be Tyrion's daughter by Tysha.

Did anyone else start trying to do the math when Tyrion guessed Penny's age and found out her mother had not been a dwarf but her father had? It would be on par with Darth Vader built C3PO, but for a second I thought she was going to turn out to be Tyrion's daughter by Tysha.

Wow. I'd picked up the perfumed senshal/stinky steward thing, but didn't even for a second notice this one.

It's a little scary. Does anyone know how old Tyrion is? Is it about 8 years younger than Jamie? If so we're 'safe' (Jamie being 35, making Tyrion too young to be Pennys father).

I'm not sue though. I always thought that when Tyrion married Tysha he was about 13, and got the impression Jamie was about 16 or 17. But maybe I just imagined that...

She said her father died before she came to Westeros to perform at KL. That makes it impossible that she is Tyrion's daughter. Also she is described as being anywhere from 17-19/ That would make her too old to be Tyrion's daughter, as Tyrion is born in 274, Penny would have to be born in 283 at the least, which would make Tyrion 9 when she was born. So no Tyrion is not her father through Tysha. Anyways Tysha was raped around twenty times, so even if she did produce a dwarf child, it could've been the spawn of any of those guards.

Penny says her father taught her many things and her brother was older (I think), so unless Tysha hooked up with a widower dwarf, I can't believe that theory.

This is what I get for reading while drunk. You're right, no chance at all for it to be him.

I really hope Penny does not get killed off - that would be really horrible given all the suffering she recounts.

It occurred to me that GRRM might be playing around with the idea of the dwarf's penny - the tax Tyrion imposed on the KL brothels that helped the realm's finances. Now Tyrion has his own Penny.

Good catch for those who picked up perfumed senshal/fragrant steward. Maybe it's wrong, but it's still interesting and I hadn't made that observation for myself :)

I like Tyrion/Penny, however, I agree with ipsuel that they should just become really close friends and nothing more if she is going to continue to be a part of the story.

It occurred to me that GRRM might be playing around with the idea of the dwarf's penny - the tax Tyrion imposed on the KL brothels that helped the realm's finances. Now Tyrion has his own Penny.

Agreed, that would be cool. Good observations everyone....can't wait to learn how it plays out!

Nice catch, totally missed that one! Did pick up on perfumed seneschal as soon as the translation was revealed, but can't think too much more into it until they get to Meereen.

Would love to get an actual glimpse of Valyria through Tyrion...

What does everyone think the significance of Tyrion's dreams about the Sorrows is? I don't think it's just a recurring nightmare of his ordeal... it must be more than that if I know GRRM at all...

He keeps seeing this "grey king" and in this chapter he mentions that he has his father's face. Maybe he's just thinking about his father's death as he often does but I think it's more.

I posted a possibly far-fetched theory in the Tyrion 3 thread:

For some reason it occurred to me the moment I read it that Gerion is this "Prince of Sorrows" or "His Grey Grace", who was mentioned in this chapter. Why? I got a flashback to one of the things Dany saw in the House of the Undying about the dead grey man on the prow of the ship (can't remember the exact wording). And it would also be really clever because the Uncle Gerion that Tyrion knew was quick to laugh, and this Prince of Sorrows cannot laugh at all. And then there is that theory some have about the Sailor's Wife from AFFC and how she possibly is referring to Gerion when she refers to her "true" sailor husband. If His Grey Grace is indeed Gerion, then something terrible has happened to him...

Really, I have no solid evidence, just a strange gut feeling. Has anyone read any other theories around this?

I'm sure both of these have been mentioned somewhere, but I've been trying to avoid forums!

Could the Prince of Sorrows be this face Tyrion keeps seeing in his dreams about the Sorrows, and could he have his father's face because he's actually his uncle?

Far-fetched? I really thought it was in that earlier chapter, but there seem to be more (albeit flimsy) clues... plus the fact that it seems so significant to Tyrion.

When he was talking about the Purple Wedding, did anyone else notice that Tyrion thinks "and then I made them laugh at Joffrey" or something to that effect, implying that he takes the blame for killing Joffrey? Has Tyrion lied about and been accused of killing his nephew so many times that he now believes it?

No he just says it so people are aware of his reputation. He doesn't actually believe it. But telling everyone he actually did kill Joff would create fear and loathing. He can use that to his advantage. And it's not like anyone would believe him if he told them otherwise. He's so jaded at this point I don't think he gives a shit anymore either.

Archived