Bad news for season 2? [Book Spoilers]

raj34

Disagree.

Tyrion thinks he is ugly and is percieved as ugly because he is a dwarf. Every time an actual discription is given, those characteristics which are typical of achondroplasia are described.

Tyrion is no uglier than any other dwarf before he loses his nose. He just has a complex about it. After... well just give him a nasty looking scar and that will get the idea across.

No Tyrion thinks he is ugly because people consider him ugly.

Then he saw the other one, waddling along half-hidden by his brother’s side. Tyrion Lannister, the youngest of Lord Tywin’s brood and by far the ugliest. All that the gods had given to Cersei and Jaime, they had denied Tyrion. He was a dwarf, half his brother’s height, struggling to keep pace on stunted legs. His head was too large for his body, with a brute’s squashed-in face beneath a swollen shelf of brow.

Losing his nose would make him hideous, and it's brought up again and again in the series. He liked to a gargoyle, demon, imp and is contributing reason to why despite his intelligence and service, people always thinks the worst of him. He is so ugly that no women would be interested him unless he pays them for sex.

As for Dinklage he is the best looking dwarf I can recall myself seeing. He really isn't someone Sansa shouldn't be able to find any beauty whatsoever in on their wedding night.

I'm sure the series work without it, but saying it doesn't exist or matter in the books is wrong. It's certainly more relevant to the story then Briennes look, whose actress were supposed to be "too pretty".

He is so ugly that no women would be interested him unless he pays them for sex.

No, there is Penny, (and of course tysha, but that was a rather unrealistic setup).

Regarding looks, there is a suspension of disbelief. A young mark addy would not have been the best warrior in the land, but since he says its the case it is.

It's certainly more relevant to the story then Briennes look, whose actress were supposed to be "too pretty".

How so? A less than ugly Tyrion is still a dwarf. There will always be a major stigma associated with that in Westeros.

A pretty Brienne is not Brienne. The actress will probably look a lot less attractive in armour.

I'm not sure Tysha was unrealistic either. Peasants aren't known for all their great looks. And she was young, so height difference wasn't as noticeable.

Disagree. The first four episodes of Season Three of BSG are the best television I have ever seen. The budget was well spent and I've advocated from the start that GoT does the same. Most of GoT takes place in rooms anyway, there isn't really a lot of action. BSG unfortunately had the problem of having to exist in a space environment so could never escape the need to create sets (unless anyone knows of a spare few spaceships that they could have used...). With good location scouting, GoT can have impressive sets without the need to spend heavily on creating them. You could stad a couple of actors on a wall in Dubrovnik and it will look expensive and appropriate. BSG couldn't do that. So yeah, I'd spend big on a set-piece that could define the season. They don't have Sean Bean's salary to pay anymore so that frees up some cash smile.gif

I am doing a rewatch of season 3 of BSG right now. You could not be more wrong.

The miserable quality of the dreck that followed those four episodes cannot be overstated. They shortchanged The Eye of Jupiter in a horrible fashion. All for something that doesn't come close to the emotional or screen impact of Kobol's Last Gleaming or the Pegasus/Res. Ship arc.

How so? A less than ugly Tyrion is still a dwarf. There will always be a major stigma associated with that in Westeros.

Because Tyrion looks perfectly normal even handsome except for being short in the series. Book Tyrions looks invites revulsion, while the TV version invites sympathy from the casual onlooker.

To me it's just not believable that the only women HBO-Tyrion can get are those he pays for.

A pretty Brienne is not Brienne. The actress will probably look a lot less attractive in armour.

As long Brienne is large and freakishly strong, dedicated to knighthood, what plotpoint is lost by her having a pretty face?

To me it's just not believable that the only women HBO-Tyrion can get are those he pays for.

That's a modern viewpoint. In medieval times, been a dwarf was seen as a curse from the gods. Tywin even says something of the sort in one of the books. Looks do make it worse in the books but looks are not Tyrion's fundamental problem.

As long Brienne is large and freakishly strong, dedicated to knighthood, what plotpoint is lost by her having a pretty face?

Because that would be a fantasy standard. GRRM's whole point about Brienne is that a realistic female uber warrior is very unlikely to be this gorgeous woman. (Although, we have Asha but she isn't in Brienne's league anyhow when it comes to fighting). Having her been pretty defeats the whole point of what GRRM is doing with her. Think about her backstory and see how things would have changed if men found her attractive.

HBO could make her pretty (but there is no sign of that) but it wouldn't be Brienne from the books anymore. Tyrion is not ugly but I still recognise Tyrion.

Is there a photo yet of Gwendoline Christie as Brienne? I haven't seen one but I can't say I religiously follow these threads.

I tend to trust GRRM when he says that in her audition, she did not look as pretty as in her publicity photos. He said she actually looked more like Brienne. Let's see what they do before we worry too much.

I will be disappointed if we don't get at least one wide shot of the Blackwater on fire. But after Davos crosses the burning bridge, we can focus on character shots. The novel dealt with the perspectives of Tyrion, Sansa, and Davos. Personally, I'd like to get a "moment" with every major character in King's Landing. I have this image in my head of a rather amusing Littlefinger/Varys scene where the two of them discuss how utterly useless they are in battle, before finding someplace to hide.

Personally, I'd like to get a "moment" with every major character in King's Landing. I have this image in my head of a rather amusing Littlefinger/Varys scene where the two of them discuss how utterly useless they are in battle, before finding someplace to hide.

In the book, I don't think Littlefinger is present during the BotB; he'd gone to Highgarden to negotiate an alliance with the Tyrells.

Is there a photo yet of Gwendoline Christie as Brienne? I haven't seen one but I can't say I religiously follow these threads.

I tend to trust GRRM when he says that in her audition, she did not look as pretty as in her publicity photos. He said she actually looked more like Brienne. Let's see what they do before we worry too much.

How pretty she is doesn't bother me that much. It's more the body shape, I always pictured her with a bulkier frame, she just seems too skinny in the couple of images I've seen of her.

In one of Jamie's chapters he stated that she looked as uncomfortable in a dress as she did in armor. or something like that.

How pretty she is doesn't bother me that much. It's more the body shape, I always pictured her with a bulkier frame, she just seems too skinny in the couple of images I've seen of her.

I'm sure they can make her look bulkier if required. Getting somebody that tall to play Brienne is impressive, expecting her to be really bulky also is probably expecting too much.

Most of Brienne's scenes will have her wearing plate armor which will make her look plenty bulky. Her height is not something that is as easy to fake though, and that will make her look impressive. By the time we see her without armor in season 3, she'll have time to have bulked up some too. I'd be surprised if she wasn't undergoing intense training.

In one of Jamie's chapters he stated that she looked as uncomfortable in a dress as she did in armor. or something like that.

I'm thinking of John Lithgow in the film, The World According to Garp.- would have made something humorously approximate to Brienne.

But then again - look at the actor they used to play Renly. That was a big disappointment.

As for Blackwater battle- I'm sure they can use plenty of smoke and mirrors to hide the cheap CGI and make it work effectively.

Has there been an actor chosen to play Davos though? .

A pet plot that I've been brewing in my head is to see Tyrion being "saved" by a wildfire projectile fired by Joffrey - who actually meant it to kill him.

Joffrey peering through the battlements spied Tyrion's forward troops in the thick of the battle. And then - he spied the imp through the (telescope... I forget what term GM used for it).

Then he shouted - "THERE!!! FIRE OUR PROJECTILES OVER THERE!!!!"

"But Your Grace - your royal Uncle is fighting in the midst of the enemy. The wildfire will hit our own troops!!!" cried an incredulous gunner.

Joffrey gnashed his shiny white teeth and struck the man with the palm of his hand. "I AM YOUR LORD LIEGE!!!! YOU WILL OBEY ME. FIRE THERE. FIRE NOW!!!!!"

Tyrion rubbed his face... it was covered with blood. His own blood. A horrible gash had cut his face almost in two. Cersei's white knight stood looming over him, gloating. Pod his squire who had deflected part of the blow and was now shielding Tyrion with his own body. He was pleading for mercy. Stupid boy.

He felt calm. Strangely. So this is what its like to die Tyrion thought. He had thought he would die old with a half empty flagon of vintage Dornish wine and a beautiful wrench by his side ... but lying bloodsplattered on an enemy deck, with a faithful squire on his chest... what gay songs would the bards sing about him? He laughed.

The white knight raised his longsword to strike. His silhouette blotted out the sun. But that was no sun. That was wildfire.

Archived