[ADwD Spoilers] Where to send typos?

Eddard Stark

Feel free to post them all here. I can direct the attention of the editors to this thread when there's a few entries.

I'll add one in particular that I'm kicking myself over for having missed when we helped proof, and we had gone through the text twice at that point:

P. 260: kingswood -> kingsmoot

Lots in the appendix.

Pg. 1016: Daario is "Daaerio"

Pg. 999: Ebben is listed as "Eggen"

Pg. 976: Aerys II Targaryen is listed as "Aenys II Targaryen"

Also, on pg. 268, Jon thinks "The Night's Watch has lost too many of its best men...The Old Bear, Qhorin Halfhand, Donal Noye, Jarmun Buckwell, my uncle..." I'm not sure if this one is a mistake or not. To my knowledge, Jarmun Buckwell was never reported as dead, though I suppose he could have perished at some point in SoS. But perhaps it was meant to be Jaremy Rykker here? He was acting First Ranger for a while, whereas Buckwell was just a scout.

There's one point where Septon Celladar (the one at Castle Black) is called Chayle (who was the Winterfell septon who Theon drowned in the well in CoK). I think it's at the wedding.

I can't remember the page, but quite early on there's a "they" instead of a "the". It does stick out, if anyone's doing a re-read.

Also, when the "Wrong-way Rangers" return, one of them is called Sir rather than Ser.

Did this one make print:

In the Dany chapter following Tyrion's visit to the brothel it says:

“Your grandsire commanded it. A woods witch had told

him that the prince was promised would be born of their

line.”

They forgot the put "who" in there as in "prince WHO was promised"

I'm reading the ePub version.

I can't give hardcopy pg number, cause I'm in too big a rush to look it up, but on my nook version, page 581, in a Tyrion chapter it says "hands of gold are always gold, but a woman’s hands are warm"

One would assume hands of gold would be gold, would one not?

I can't remember the page, but quite early on there's a "they" instead of a "the". It does stick out, if anyone's doing a re-read.

Also, when the "Wrong-way Rangers" return, one of them is called Sir rather than Ser.

I notice the "the" as well. But can't locate it either. It should the towards the end of the book.

Shit, I should have remembered the page numbers. Really, all I remember is a character called Erik who was written as "Eric" like... three names later :whip: in the same paragraph.

Rakharo is also misspelled as Rahkaro somewhere, but without numbers this is kind of useless. Bah!

And there is one line I am not sure is ill-written or meant to come off that way, but it's the "Bran did want to get married to a tree, but..." makes me think a negative was missing. Who the hell wants to marry a tree? Come on now.

I'm sorry, but I have to do this. :)

Cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

Every book have typos. They are unavoidable, especially if the book is interesting (it much harder to do proofreading of book you find interesting)and people are in hurry to finish preparations so the book can go to print. (And I can bet after 5 years of waiting everyone wanted this book printed as soon as possible).

If I don't search for typos intentionally I hardly even notice them while reading. As long as I understand context few mistakes here and there are absolutely unimportant.

So no mistakes from me. :)

If I don't search for typos intentionally I hardly even notice them while reading. As long as I understand context few mistakes here and there are absolutely unimportant.

So no mistakes from me. :)

Well, part of posting them here is so that future print or online editions can be corrected. Most of these you can figure out from context, but there are a view that can cause confusion.

UK hardcover edition page 626:

"... but he had never seen the Tolosi at work before. Their lead balls did vastly more damage then the smooth stones other slingers used..."

Just one letter but it is a mistake I absolutely detest.

There's one point where Septon Celladar (the one at Castle Black) is called Chayle (who was the Winterfell septon who Theon drowned in the well in CoK). I think it's at the wedding.

Yep. Basically the Septon (together with Bowen Marsh, et al) are noted as being absent from the wedding. Unfortunately they get the wrong Septon (unless Septon Chayle has acquired blue eyes since his drowning...).

One thing that really bugged me was the persistent misuse of the word "wroth" to mean "anger".

Wroth is an adjective meaning "angry", not a noun. Wrath is the noun that means anger. ("You will face his wrath" vs "He couldn't think clearly, he was so wroth".)

Here are a few examples from the book (there are many more):

p. 53 "Even in the north men fear the wroth of Tywin Lannister." = "Even in the north men fear the angry of Tywin Lannister."

p. 730: "... those who lost their lives to the dragon's wroth." = p. 730: "... those who lost their lives to the dragon's angry."

Etc.

It's so bad, it's funny. :rofl:

But it kept on jolting me out of the story. :spank: And it's sprinkled throughout the entire book. I didn't actually catch a single instance where wrath/wroth was used correctly.

I don't know if it's GRRM's fault or that of an overzealous editor, but it needs to be corrected. A quick find&replace should take care of it.

I´m pretty sure it was not Martin´s fault, wrath and wroth were always used correctly in the first four books AND the HBO series (Ned to cersei(HBO): Go away as far as you can with as many men as you can, because Robert´s wrath will follow you wherever you go/(AFFC:)It would make Lord Uller wroth, and the Ullers were dangerous when wroth"

There was another mistake quite early on, where you could see that Martin wrote one sentence first, but then changed it and forgot to switch out all the words from the first sentence, I´ll post it here when I find it again during my reread. I recall it was in the first third of the book on a page on the right hand side (odd page numbers)in the lower half of the page far left at the beginning of a line, if that helps anybody who wants to beat me to it :-)

Edit I think it is the same mistake that Derfel mentioned earlier on:

Quote:

I can't remember the page, but quite early on there's a "they" instead of a "the". It does stick out, if anyone's doing a re-read

Archived