Game of Thrones & the Emmy Nominations

Horus Ex Machina

So in just a few hours we will know whether or the television academy has chosen to honor 'Game of Thrones' with one of it's six nominations. I'm not one who usually pays much mind to award shows and ceremonies, and this is especially true for the Emmys where surprise nods are very few and far between. Where deserving and talent-filled enterprises might go a decade without even being noticed. And where the academy itself can become so lazy and habitual that they'll just go through the motions and select the same winners year after year.

But I also recognize that, with as much success as the show has had in it's first season, a nomination this morning could be the difference between this show just getting by or becoming an even bigger hit. Granted I don't think that the Emmys are as big a boost-provider as they might have been even a decade ago, a nomination here could the fasttrack to an almost automatic third-season renewal even if there is a bit of a sophomore slump for the show. Networks like shows that win awards and nominations.

The problem is that while almost every article that I read says that Game of thrones is very close to a nomination, the caveat remains that members of the academy who hate the genre might scuttle what might have otherwise been an almost certain nomination. Read any article you like almost all of them either put GoT in their top six or on the bubble of two to three strong contenders. Basically every article I've read puts them in the top 8.

So I imagine that by the time that anyone reads this, the nominations will have already been decided. It will be then to interpret what the result means for our series. I don't think that a snub will necessarily hurt the series so much as it might show that we have a ways to go until the show is totally recognized for it's quality over it's genre. But a nomination, especially in a year where everyone seems to agree that there are spots for the taking in Best Drama, this may be the show's last and best chance to be recognized.

Does it even matter?? To take Littlefinger's quote on the inverse,... only if we win.

So Game of Thrones got a best drama nom and Peter Dinklage a best supporting actor nom!

Nina Gold and Robert Stern got a best casting nom.

Michelle Clapton and Rachael Webb-Crozier got a costume design nom.

Tim Van Patten got best directing nom for the pilot.

Main title design nom.

Sound editing nom.

Special effects nom for "Fire and Blood".

Stund Coordination nom.

D&D got a best writing nom for ep 9 "Baelor".

Edit: *phew* I think thats all of them. Go Game of Thrones! Hopefully it goes on to win most of these but just being nominated its awesome enough.

Also Outstanding Hairstyling For A Single-Camera Series (golden crown) and Makeup - Both Catagories (winter is coming and golden crown)

very happy Peter got a nom, and IMO hes a safe bet on the night too. I think this season was hard for a stand out character, maybe next year more actor noms.

Incredibly happy that PD got the Supporting Actor nom. That category is a bit thin so there's a big chance he can win. I also love Alan Cumming as Eli Gold though. Wouldn't be surprised if John Slattery wins for the role of Roger Sterling either. But PD is on top of my list.

Although... not nominated for Art Direction?? What is up with that? I'm not totally happy about the art direction of the show, but compared to most other shows out there, it certainly had to be nominated. Seriously.

Summary of the noms (13) all in all:

Outstanding Drama Series

Directing ("Winter Is Coming" by Tim Van Patten)

Writing ("Baelor" by D&D)

Supporting Actor (Peter Dinklage as Tyrion Lannister)

Visual Effects

Main Title Design

Casting

Costumes

Hairstyling

Makeup

Prosthetic Makeup

Sound Editing

Stunts

Unfortunately, I think that Best Drama, Writing and Directing are all going to Mad Men. I think GoT has a great chance for Main Title Design and a handful of other creative/technical awards. I think they should end up taking home no less than 5 awards.

Game of thrones got jobbed..No main title music? That is where it would have picked up a win..instead giving it to Camelot? huh

That's a good point. The title music for this show is amazing. Camelot's was good too, if there was a thing about that show to like besides Eva Greene. Very happy to see GoT get the Outstanding Drama nom though it won't win. But with Breaking Bad out this season it was important to at least get nominated this year. Great to see that the academy finally overlooked the genre question.

I sincerely think that PD is almost a lock to win. What's nice is that there is such a dearth of great roles outside of comedy for ppl of his stature and for a great dramatic role to come for him is a great opportunity and he ran with it. Dinklage has had a shining performance that stood out among a cast full of them. I think that Sean Bean and Emelia Clarke could have gotten best actor/actress noms though.

**Just have to give a whoop. My two favorite shows on televisions, Game of Thrones, & Parks and Rec. are nominated in the two big categories. Maybe both can win... Dexter and Friday Night Lights are also awesome shows. Pretty upset to see that Sons of Anarchy never gets any love though.**

Game of thrones got jobbed..No main title music? That is where it would have picked up a win..instead giving it to Camelot? huh

Yeah that is odd. The theme music is probably one of the best ever written for a TV show!

It's up there with Buffy the Vampire Slayer! :laugh:

I think that Sean Bean and Emelia Clarke could have gotten best actor/actress noms though.

The Lead Drama Actor category is just so incredibly stacked (even without 3-time winner Bryan Cranston this year) that Sean Bean getting nominated is such a long shot. Steve Buscemi, Michael C. Hall, Kyle Chandler, Hugh Laurie, Timothy Olyphant and Jon Hamm are all too incredibly amazing too squeeze Sean Bean in there. Even Jeremy Irons as Rodrigo Borgia could make a case instead of Sean Bean. I think this is Don Draper's year to get an Emmy.

Emelia Clarke could maybe make a better case for the nom compared to Sean Bean... but probably not that strong a case either.

Look at that fan voting!

I don't know what that means but 59% of the ppl who voted wanted GoTs to win. Granted this show probably has the youngest, most internet-savvy fanbase. I also think that the timing of this season played a big factor in everything up to getting as many nominations as it did. I think Friday Night Lights will win this year bc of the nostalgia factor. But a nom in it's first season, kind of like when Lord of the Rings got nominated in the first movie. It was enough just to get the academy to recognise the work on it's merits. This is a pretty good day for us in that it almost guarantees that we'll see a third season. HBO likes Emmys. GRRM and D&D should be proud of this accomplishment.

Emelia Clarke could maybe make a better case for the nom compared to Sean Bean... but probably not that strong a case either.

I think she could get one eventually if she has another strong season.

It could win best series, it was fairly popular and is on HBO. I think the biggest competition comes from Boardwalk Empire since HBO shows tend to do well in the Emmys. But ultimately the Emmys aren't something to get that excited about, they have a long history of being pretty irrelevant as far as judging quality TV/performances. They are especially bad at recognizing genre shows- one strike against GoT. While it's nice for the actors and production people who do get nominated, as a fan you should put more stock in how fans/critics react to a show rather than if it wins Emmys.

Indeed missing out on theme tune nomination is odd. Everyone who's watched the show, book reader or noob, has commented on how great the opening music (and graphics) are. So to miss out on that nomination is strange.

Woot! To Peter Dinklage for scoring a nomination. Next season he should be lead actor? If he wins supporting actor this time then he'll be a strong contender for a lead actor nom next year.

I'm 100% certain that they will win the main title design award. The first scene with the rangers and the white walkers convinced me that it wouldn't be one of those horrible, cheesy fantasy series, but the main title animation is what convinced me that it was going to be great.

So Game of Thrones got a best drama nom and Peter Dinklage a best supporting actor nom!

Nina Gold and Robert Stern got a best casting nom.

Michelle Clapton and Rachael Webb-Crozier got a costume design nom.

Tim Van Patten got best directing nom for the pilot.

Main title design nom.

Sound editing nom.

Special effects nom for "Fire and Blood".

Stund Coordination nom.

D&D got a best writing nom for ep 9 "Baelor".

Edit: *phew* I think thats all of them. Go Game of Thrones! Hopefully it goes on to win most of these but just being nominated its awesome enough.

Should win the technical stuff, don't know about the acting stuff. But if Dinkledge don't win i want Goggins to win that, Justified owns as well.

I'm happy the show got nominated as well as Peter Dinklage.

I definitely thought Emilia Clarke deserved a nomination.

The Emmys are always a mixed bag when it comes to nominations.

If the main title design doesn't win I'll be shocked.

• 3 weeks later...

So glad that episode 9 received the writing nomination -- that one was monumental.

Somehow I was hoping Maisie Williams would get a nomination for supporting actress. That girl really is Arya to me. Lots of good stuff coming up for her in Season 2, so maybe next year?

So glad that episode 9 received the writing nomination -- that one was monumental.

Somehow I was hoping Maisie Williams would get a nomination for supporting actress. That girl really is Arya to me. Lots of good stuff coming up for her in Season 2, so maybe next year?

She flopped for one scene, though. The scene when she's talking to Ned about how much she hates Joffery, the Hound and Sansa. That was the only part I didn't buy. She did well with the rest of it, though.

Archived