New maps for the Wiki

Werthead

Well my previous post was pointless, as I just looked at the download from the Map extension page, which I assume you used to install the Map extension with, it includes it all in, we would need only a few minor changes(i'll try to look it over the week end) add the tiles which are basically ready (I just need to cut them) and add the Data which would be a bitch.

From my quick look there are few options:

1. as it is right now, on each location article add it's cord's which will locate it on the map.

2. store all the cords in one file (Kmz?) and thus not only showing where to locaiton located on the map but those around it and possibility to click.tump to them,

3. layers (we have new namespace on the wiki, not sure how useful it is as I have noticed the customization we will need.

My only suggestion is to consider the extension "Semantic Maps" http://mapping.refer...m/wiki/Examples

which allows a few nice option, like load all location by wiki category you for example:

{{ #ask: [[Category:North]] | ?Has coordinates | format=map }} 

allowing to screen by type, country, castle, battles etc...

or even add editing forms for example: http://foodfinds.ref...action=formedit

Semantic maps added... or not. It seems I have to install Semantic Mediawiki as well for it to work, and that one is a bit more involved, so I don't think I can tackle that one right now.

Is it absolutely necessary for the purpose of making custom maps?

On an unrelated note, mor2, if you can ask advice regarding the Easy Timeline not working, that'd be good. I updated to the latest version and it's not helping with the problem you've reported.

This is a maps extension, it would work like a google maps only with our map. todo so we need to replace the base map with our own. it is done by cutting it to small section, which helps to reduce load time for the users and the server, as this way you will only have to load those sections you want and not the whole 1mb+ map.

This is basically what we should start with and then expand from it, later we can add different options, like show various info (layers) which can be images or location markers, which you can turn off/on to see. I think it's best left to the end when we are more familiar with capabilities of the map, right now we need to focus on the replacing the base map, i find it hard to find time to adapt the code and get the map tiles from my home laptop and cut them for Ran(though for testing empty ones can be used).

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I'm wondering if this thread went anywhere. I'm currently starting on a project similar to this that would be based on Tears maps and SerMountainGoat's Google Earth version of it. The idea would be to create terrain and 3D buildings ala google earth for all of Westeroes. HUGE undertaking, I know. I'm currently just trying to find the right software and seeing if this is even physically possible. Let me know where you're at on your project and if we could find some sort of collaboration.

Thanks!

We have the map extensions for the wiki. We have the map, the data layers and the tiles. The problems is only with configuring the extension to work with our map, which proved to be problematic without the ability to test it. If you know how to setup the Extension Maps with custom base layer or maybe have experience working on similar project (TES has an amazing map on their wiki), please do tell... we surely could use a hand.

EDIT:

Btw here is downscaled map preview(~2MB) from another thread I posted it in http://minus.com/mIKonWwZz/1f

Unfortunately I'm not much help with that. I have fiddled with google maps before, working on making a custom application, but you're probably further along at this point than I had gotten. I'm happy to help with any labor intensive effort like populating a database or anything that just needs doing, but my dabbling in programming probably isn't much help.

I am good with Autocad, Sketchup, Photoshop, Illustrator and some other random stuff.

Let me know if I can be of use.

Archived