[ADWD SPOILERS] The Prince of Winterfell

Xray the Enforcer

I just listened to the prince of Winterfell and I think your posting in the wrong thread, are you sure your on near page 490ish?

Dankesean's comment is definitely from this chapter... i wouldn't think the audio would be any different but I just read this chapter, and the post is on point.

I must have completely missed that. I need to stop staying up til 4 in the morning to read 'just 1 more chapter'... What were the clues?

The line about "three great wedding pies, as wide across as wagon wheels" during the feast. I missed it too until I read this thread.

The line about "three great wedding pies, as wide across as wagon wheels" during the feast. I missed it too until I read this thread.

Plus Lord Wyman being positively giddy about serving it up to the other Freys and Boltons. And then drunkenly calling for a song about the Rat Cook towards the end of the chapter.

Oh, yeah, that was almost definitely Frey pie.

Hey, points to the Manderlys for coming up with an actual constructive use for Freys. Long winter ahead. Food might be scarce. And there's a LOT of surplus Freys at the Twins...

Yep. Readin' that one more chapter till 4 am DEFINITIVELY makes me stupid. Read the chapter.

Wondered why the sudden hapiness of Lord Lard (poison).KNEW a Frey was missing. Got the Rat Cook reference and STILL didn't peace those 2 together.

And I didn't get who the singer was until the end of the book.

Stupid.

When I started this chapter I was going to write that it is the most beautifully written chapter in the book. Martin's description of the Godswood, the mists rising and the memories they evoked in Theon was wonderful. It really brings to mind what I think is one of the major themes of this novel: atonement.

The end of this chapter was horrible though, Ramsay is just the most sordid and irredeemable character ever.

Other things I noticed in this chapter:

* Lady Dustin is such a bitter creature, did she want Lord Rickard to marry Brandon to herself or to her daughter? Or alternatively was a match being brokered between the Dustins and Eddard Stark, which was consequently broken when Brandon died before the marriage to Catelyn Tully?

* Theon started this chapter thinking of himself as Theon but ended it by being brought back down to Reek. The final scene 'the bedding' was the most uncomfortable and stomach turning scene I have read in ASOIAF. I really hope that Ramsay gets his just desserts soon. Also what exactly is it Theon doesn't have, has he been gelded or has Ramsay actually flayed his penis?! :stillsick:

* I really want Theon to rescue Jeyne, but part of me thinks that Martin totally has me by the nose here and its not going to happen.

* The weirwood said the name 'Theon' - does this mean that Eddard did hear Bran in the Godswood? Also does it mean that Bran will be able to interact with his other brothers; Jon and Rickon through the trees?

* I never caught on to the Frey pies until I came on here, but it makes me understanding of the chapter much more satisfying.

I listened to the chapter again on my ride home from work when I could concentrate more on the content. I never tied the huge pork pies and the immense satisfaction Lord Manderly was getting from serving it up with handing out their just desserts but I can concede that it may very well be true. I also didn't see the Rat cook comment as a striking comment but I guess it could seal the deal on the rest of what has been thought here.

I am with Loras on the bedding being a rough listen, I feel so bad for Jeyne this whole chapter, and Theon almost breaks out of the conditioning it makes me think he might actually have learned that being a lord and being a loser are the 2 faces of the same coin.

edit: okay I looked up the rat cook in the wiki... I sit corrected

When I started this chapter I was going to write that it is the most beautifully written chapter in the book. Martin's description of the Godswood, the mists rising and the memories they evoked in Theon was wonderful. It really brings to mind what I think is one of the major themes of this novel: atonement.

* Theon started this chapter thinking of himself as Theon but ended it by being brought back down to Reek. The final scene 'the bedding' was the most uncomfortable and stomach turning scene I have read in ASOIAF. I really hope that Ramsay gets his just desserts soon. Also what exactly is it Theon doesn't have, has he been gelded or has Ramsay actually flayed his penis?! :stillsick:

I agree. Theon's chapters have been the most enjoyable to read so far.

Just thinking of Theon & Jeyne in the end of the chapter still makes me feel ill. Ramsay's death can not come soon enough!

Archived