[ADWD SPOILERS] The Watcher

Xray the Enforcer

The most signifithing about this chapter was that we have oficially progressed beyond the timeline of AFFC. The next chapter could bring us news of

...The truth about the mysterious, shape changing hips of Jeyene Westerling.

I think I missed that about Jeyene's hips. I'm guessing you'r comparing Catelyn's description and Jaime's when he meets w/ the 2 Westerling women after taking Riverrun. But that could be wrong.

So was Jaime's description different from Catelyns? And what does that mean? She's pregers or a different person? I haven't seen anything about that, but I've really only been reading this chapter summaries on my re-read of ADwD, so I could have completely missed that discussion.

Thanks for the info

I think I missed that about Jeyene's hips. I'm guessing you'r comparing Catelyn's description and Jaime's when he meets w/ the 2 Westerling women after taking Riverrun. But that could be wrong.

So was Jaime's description different from Catelyns? And what does that mean? She's pregers or a different person? I haven't seen anything about that, but I've really only been reading this chapter summaries on my re-read of ADwD, so I could have completely missed that discussion.

Thanks for the info

The theory is that Jeyne was switched with someone else, probably her sister Elenya since she's unaccounted for in Jaime's chapter, I believe. So then that leads people to think that Jeyne probably escaped Riverrun with the Blackfish.

• 2 weeks later...

So this is now the second plot that Doran has intercepted, the first being Arianne's plan to steal away Myrcella. Most likely not coming from the same person since this second informer has to be from KL. I can buy into it being Lady Merryweather, but has there been any consensus on to whom the first informer was? (New to the boards and first post, so I may have missed the discussion)

I am also on board with this really being Cersei's scheme. We were left hanging in AFFC about her further intentions with Ser Balon and it was finally revealed to us here... unless GRRM would lead us on again by revealing that it wasn't her scheme after all. But it just doesn't seem like that significant of a plot line for him to drag out into two books. Has to be Cersei. It's so Cersei.

I'm also OK with the Areo POV. Like someone mentioned before, it stays black and white, while still getting a complete update from Dorne. The chapter is titled "The Watcher" anyway.

P.S. This chapter-by-chapter discussion is fantastic and I wish I had been here last year when it was still hot. Hopefully there are still others reading along that will keep the discussion going!

• 4 months later...

I think Rosmaud Lannister of House Lannister of Lannisport informed on them seeking favor with the prince of dorne tyrion wouldn't choose just any simple girl to accompany Myrcella to Dorne he loves his niece despite his reputation. The young girl is a Lannister scheming in the genes and of a lesser branch with the favor of the prince of dorne she could seek a better prospect for marriage.

• 2 months later...

Sorry to bump this topic up but I just have a couple of quick thoughts..

Prince Doran knew about Arianne's plan to crown myrcella, which is why Areo met them and ordered them to surrender. Could it be that he knew Arianne would also choose Darkstar to protect her along the way. Thus leaving him to plan the whole thing with Darkstar and myrcella? There by him ordering to maim myrcella so that Balon swann would HAVE to go hunting for darkstar when he arrived in dorne which could lead to a series of "unfortunate" events including maybe the dissapearance of Balon Swann?

I don't see how anyone can doubt this is 100% Cersei. Everything about this scheme adds up to her. Myrcella is technically Tommen's heir, and if Tommen dies childless, then Myrcella, married to a Martell, would get the throne, and their children would be Martells. She'd rather risk losing the south entirely than have her children lose the throne because of a marriage Tyrion created.

Whether the Trystane plot is real or not, there is another darker plot at hand here, and its instigator is one Doran Martell. I also believe Balon Swann will not live long.

Also regardless of whether the Trystane plot is real, it suits Doran perfectly, allowing him to place his cyvasse pieces inside KL (the Sand Snakes). Very convenient for him, but he would have found another reason to send them there if the Trystane thing wasn't real.

All in all, a short chapter, a bit disappointing. Chapters quite short at the moment, are they not? They don't think to cover much, just one meeting/reunion: the Prince of Winterfell was just one (short) wedding, this one just one meeting,...

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't buy the Trystane plot for a second - it is a total fake-out. We'll find out in TWOW that Cercei's instructions to Balon were about something totally different. It is a total lie - I think Doran believes it, but he's been fed bad information. It's not that Cercei wouldn't do it; I don't think Balon would. He is no Kettleblack, to participate in a plot to murder a young child. I call BS.

Remember Balon is still the "black sheep" of the Kingsguard after letting Tommen get taken on Tyrion's instructions. He's seen as a coward by Cercei and likely most of those in the know, so this would be a way for him to redeem himself in their eyes.

Still, the plan seems so perfectly "Cercei" that it might not be true after all, knowing the author.

Archived