[ADWD SPOILERS] The Watcher

Xray the Enforcer

An immensely frustrating chapter. I feel that Martin chose Hotah to purposely kept the reader out of the loop about the finer details of Doran's plan. Hotah as the narrator adds nothing to this chapter, other than the fact that he isn't there to think.

I wish that we had read this chapter from Arianne's PoV.

This chapter should really have been at the end of AFFC, it would have mirrored 'Captain of the Guards' very well and kept a suitable cliffhanger for the next book.

I doubt that Tyene is going to get on very well with the High Septon.

I like that, in the end, Prince Doran can still command the loyalty of the Sand Snakes.

And Cersei's plot is hilarious. It's especially funny because it makes no sense and actually hurts rather than helps her-- which fits perfectly with how she's been ruling so far. For that reason, I agree with Loras that it belonged in Feast for Crows.

The only thing that disappointed me with this chapter was that I had hoped that Aegon's invasion had progressed a little longer. Otherwise it was fairly interesting.

If they already have word of Aegon's fleet, they are probably a bit closer than you might think. I doubt they got word from a raven from the free cities. They more likely got the information from a ship that sailed just before Aegon/GC left and landed on Dorne's east coast who then sent a raven over. We also don't know how long ago they got this information.

It makes me think if Tyene had anything to do with Cersei last events in AFFC

I think not, because I think this scene is set after the end of AFFC. Wasn't Balon Swann still working his way to Dorne by the end of AFFC?

My crackpot theory is that Doran's informer is Lady Merryweather. She's so close to Cersei because she showed to her that she wasn't loyal to the Tyrells... but that doesn't mean she couldn't have some other loyalties that Cersei didn't think of. Our good Cersei was so obsessed with Highgarden that she didn't spare a thought about her other enemies in the Realm.

Random [crackpot?] theory that just popped in my head when reading this chapter. Is Septa Lemore perhaps Tyene's mother by Oberyn? Maybe that's why she was defrocked?

That was exactly my thought when reading this chapter. Though I have no real evidence for it. Just the coincidence that Lemore must have had a child once and Tyene's mother was a septa.

Is it really Gregor's skull? If yes, what is Qyburn doing in the dungeons of KL? Attempting a head transplant? If no, where did they obtain a skull of this size?

Archived