[ADWD SPOILERS] The Turncloak

Xray the Enforcer

Lady Dustin seems to have a big mouth, whatever exactly she is up to. Why exactly is she telling Theon all this, other than plot exposition for the reader? I'd like to think she is putting on a show for him, the way the Manderley's were.

Throwing Ned's bones to the dogs seems a bit over the top,after all those years. I like the idea that she has some deeper, more interesting motive.

I was wondering this myself, but then I thought it was indeed exposition for the reader (which was kinda cool to see how different Ned was from his brother)under the guise that Lady Dustin understands that Theon is the one confidant she can trust due to his "training" under Ramsey. She even says something to the effect of Ramsey teaching him well.

It was strange how the chapter finished, her last words were that Roose had trained Theon well. Maybe this means that in his youth Roose has been as Ramsay and then leeching helped him in a way.

Nice bit about Brandon being so wild:-)

I think Theon will help Stannis get into Winterfell, with the help of Mance/Bael.

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoyed this chapter as well. I really enjoyed hearing a little more about Brandon Stark. I keep finding myself sympathizing with Theon as much as I try to keep reminding myself what he's done. I agree with others here that I think he's going to wind up redeaming himself somehow and helping the Starks.

Brandon Stark isn't anything like Ned, in fact the two couldn't be more different. Lady Dustin is so jaded all she can think about is herself and her interests. I hope she burns in hell, because she needs to leave Ned's bones alone! (I think the Crannogman Howland Reed has Stark's bones with him).

Bitch better back off. Ned's bones better make it back to Winterfell when this is over. I just don't know why she would tell Theon all this. I'm glad she did, because I am hoping Theon escapes and can give Jon all this info and let Jon know he didn't really kill Bran & Rickon.

Wow, Brandon and Ned couldn't have been more different, although we knew that he was a bit wild. I can't imagine Ned just claiming anything that he wanted.

It was interesting to see the Brandon didn't want to marry Catelyn either, and now we get the ending to the story she started about the maesters at the wedding.

I knew Theon was more invested in the Starks than he seemed; you could see it in his thoughts when he took Winterfell. One thing in particular was when he saved Bran from the wildling in AGoT, he continually harped on Robb yelling at him for it instead of thanking him. He wanted to be thought of as a brother and a son, but he never was.

I'm glad that his last two chapters haven't been named Reek. I'm taking that as a clue, hopefully, that he's starting to become Theon again and will escape.

Hopefully whoever has the bones will be smarter than to bring them to be interred while the Bolton's have the castle.

It seems really hypocritical to me to have all those men practically spitting on Theon for taking Winterfell, while at the same time serving Boltons and Freys who betrayed the Starks as well.

It was interesting to see the Brandon didn't want to marry Catelyn either, and now we get the ending to the story she started about the maesters at the wedding.

It seems really hypocritical to me to have all those men practically spitting on Theon for taking Winterfell, while at the same time serving Boltons and Freys who betrayed the Starks as well.

totally agree!

which story, btw?

totally agree!

which story, btw?

totally agree!

which story, btw?

During the wedding, she started talking about the maesters and how dangerous they actually were because once they're maesters they don't keep their last names. She suspects that sometimes they advise their lords to do things that are actually in their own or their family's own interests. It's when she muses that she doesn't know who the actual lords are because lords always want to have a maester. It was during the Prince of Winterfell chapter. She started talking about Lord Rickard's maester and she starts to say that she thinks it was him that was behind the match between Winterfell and Tully, but she gets completely cut off by a toast or an interruption. I had wondered where she was going with that story. We don't get the maester's influence in it, but we certainly get why she would actually care.

• 3 weeks later...

So we finally have a less than honorable representation of House Stark. I don't remember Jaime taking whatever he wanted; Brandon seems like he'd give any Lannister or Bolton competition. Iwish we had more background on Lord Rickard; it might help explain why everyone seems to betray the Starks.

The Theon chapters have quickly turned the best. Everyone seems to see him as a deadman walking therefore its easier to confide in him.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I definitely don't trust Lady Dustin now. I don't know what her game is, but this business with Ned's bones is pretty uncool. She's been holding a grudge for an awful long time. Why confess all of this to Theon? And why was she so interested in going down to the crypts? Strange things are happening. Good to get backstory on Brandon.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Seems to me like Lady Dustin was a bit of a ho, sleeping with someone she wasn't married to just because he was the heir to Winterfell. Catelyn didn't sleep with Brandon when they were engaged, did she? No. Because she wasn't a ho.

Brandon seems to me to have acted selfishly and recklessly, which is how most wild good-looking rich teenagers act. On the other hand, Lady Dustin also insists that Brandon loved her which puts her whole testimony in conflict. All in all, we can't trust her viewpoint on Brandon.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This chapter provided an interesting outlook on Brandon Stark's character. I had always imagined him as an older version of Ned, but it seems that he's more cocky and ready for a fight than anything.

Loving the Theon story-line. He's the viewpoint I look forward to the most now!

• 2 months later...

I think this chapter also provided a better insight into the Robert and Ned relationship. Robert and Brandon sound a lot alike. Maybe Robert reminded Ned of Brandon while they were fostering in the eyerie.

And I agree that lady Dustin is a bitter old ho that gave her virtue to the first rich dude she could find for land and titles.

The queen of thornes is nothing like barbery Dustin. Lady oleana's actions always serve a higher purpose and are never selfish.

• 2 months later...

Archived