[ADWD SPOILERS] Daenerys 7

Xray the Enforcer

Wow, nothing here yet? I thought this was the most interestng Dany chapter yet. Aside from the marriage, we find out Aerys was infatuated with Joanna Lannister. That suddenly lends an enormous hint toward the Tyrion = Aerys + Joanna theory that was being thrown around before. It could just be a wink wink from GRRM since he's aware of the theory, but it might explain the dragon dreams. I always just shrugged off the theory before because the dragon dreams were really the only thing to back it up, but this was a pretty big hint that it's at least possible.

Also, "If he loved you he would carry you off at swordpoint, as Rhaegar had once carried off his northern girl" certainly points at a public abduction, rather than Lyanna just running away with him. Of course, that doesn't rule off whether Lyanna wanted to be abducted or not.

Wow, nothing here yet? I thought this was the most interestng Dany chapter yet. Aside from the marriage, we find out Aerys was infatuated with Joanna Lannister. That suddenly lends an enormous hint toward the Tyrion = Aerys + Joanna theory that was being thrown around before. It could just be a wink wink from GRRM since he's aware of the theory, but it might explain the dragon dreams. I always just shrugged off the theory before because the dragon dreams were really the only thing to back it up, but this was a pretty big hint that it's at least possible.

I admit this is the first time I hear about this particular theory so I didn't take it as a hint towards it and I must say I still don't think it is. There is nothing that we learned so far about Joanna and her marriage to Tywin that would speak for it. Why reasons would Joanna have to be unfaithful?

What I took this for was an explanation to Aerys' behavior when it came to Tywin Lannister, refusing Cersei as Rhaegar's bride, calling Tywin just a servant, taking Jamie for his Kingsguard making Tywin short of an heir.

That is exactly how I read it :cheers:

As did I ^_^.

Poor Quentyn, he traveled all that way just to watch her marry some other guy while secretly banging some other douche. I'm really not liking Dany this book at all and she has swiftly fallen in my eyes as anyone I would actually want on the Iron Throne. I'm now really hoping Aegon is actually Aegon and takes the throne without her.

I think CryFenril hit the nail on the head in the Dany 4 thread. Danaerys is trying the "do no harm" approach to rulership. She is trying to spare everyone and everything. Which is obviously blowing up on her.

To me, Daario is an escapist fantasy. She's been hooking up with him, avoiding holding court, and assuming that her new husband will take care of everything. That speaks to me of someone who is being drowned in indecisiveness and is desperate for an out. Remember the fighting pits? She's all but given in on it, and just wants her husband to be the one to open them. She's cracking under the responsibility and using sex as an anodyne. At this point the only thing keeping her in Meereen is fear for what will happen to it if she leaves. She's all but put Westeros out of her mind.

At least so far, this is the story of Dany losing her idealism. She has to "kill the girl" in her and let the woman be born. At some point, she's going to realize that every good deed has consequences, and that the price you pay for not wanting blood on your hands is far more blood on someone else's. The smallfolk suffer and die either way.

Jon is going through the same thing. They need scars to harden them, make them more ruthless, more cynical.

Aegon, meanwhile, has not gone through this. Yet. He's still young, fierce and idealistic-- shielded from the world by Lord Connington. I suspect he'll get eaten alive in Westeros unless he gets some scars and learns some bitter lessons of his own.

I've seriously started to hate the Dragonslut throughout this chapter and her last one.

Seriously? Daario? I can't name a single good quality about him. That's like running off with a wife-beater wearing, nascar loving, rebel flag toting, pit stained piece of stereotypical trailer trash.

She's also making absolutely terrible decisions. She was supposed to use Meereen as a testing ground, to learn the ins and outs of ruling before she journeyed to Westeros to claim her throne. And she's seriously going to marry this Ghiscari chap for the sake of Meereen, and totally screw herself over when it comes to Westeros? She does not know how politics are played there. I mean, she goes and brushes Quentyn off (disappointingly plain as he is) and then has the gall to tell him that someday she's going to need his support to conquer Westeros. Look, that kind of royal snub has been MORE than enough grounds in the past to withdraw one's support.

And her arrogance! "I'm the dragon therefore I can't get sick." And what happens if you're wrong, you impulsive fool? What happens if you get the bloody flux and die? Is that going to save your precious children (whom you eventually lock the gates on anyways)?

I didn't want her on the iron throne before I started reading this book, and I would throw the book at the wall if it happens now.

At the very least, though, you can't claim she's a Mary Sue anymore.

...which is also something GRRM managed to fix with Jon, in a less revolting manner.

Is it wrong to guess Barristan alluded to himself when telling Dany of her mother's love interest?

I don't think it can be him, considering he beat Prince Rhaegar in a joust at Storm's End. So, he certainly didn't put away his lance. Could it be someone who is now a septon/religious figure, because he described him as pious? No clue really, but don't think its Barristan.

What about Ser Bonifer Hasty?

I had to look him up, but after reading the wiki article, I think it is almost certainly him.

"In his youth, he was a promising knight in tourneys, but an unknown event seems to have turned him away from this path to devote himself to the Faith of the Seven."

Why not Daario, after Drogo? I don't like it, but I can understand. She wants a guy that's real. Some tough dude - not a perfumed courtling. It's gonna ruin her, as he'll betray her for the first good offer. But hey, maybe she'll learn.

I think Tyrion's and Jon's fathers are now more likely to be whom many always assumed they'd be (Aerys and Rhaegar). Unless GRRM is toying with his fans, but that would make his novels worse. He's not writing cheap "by the pound" crime-stories. He's put lots of efforts into making everything fit and those where too much to be red herrings. So I think.

Ser Bonifer fits. Didn't think it was Selmy. He ain't pious, not that much at least.

Another interesting Dany chapter. There are some very broad strokes in this chapter, I think that Dany needs a sharp lesson and a wake up call. It seems that the good work at the end of the last chapter, where she leaves the Astapori to die has been undone.

Notes from this chapter:

* Dany judges a man's worth on the way he looks and not what he can offer her. We see her engaging in a wanton sexual relationship with Daario, because he is attractive, despite knowing he is dangerous and detrimental to her cause. Yet she dismisses Quentyn, thinking of the poor boy as a frog - going so far as to shame him: 'are you enchanted?' despite the fact that he can deliver an army to her?! Then she wishes that Drinkwater was the Prince. Goodness me does this girl need a reality check. Its not very often that I'm an advocate for disfigurement but...

* The Green Grace is pissed off. I am sure that this woman is the Harpy and I wouldn't be surprised if Daario has gone missing now.

* From the earlier chapter we know that Dany should have washed Hizdar's feet at the wedding, but this was entirely reversed. I think she is on a very fine line of enraging the Meereenese. The other Ghiscari wedding tradition of note was that they were bound to each other in chains. I am surprised that Dany agreed to that aspect of the wedding.

* The bloody flux is rife in Meereen, not a surprise really considering Dany's idiotic policy on sending people out of the city to feed the infected astapori.

* In this chapter she comes across almost like a little girl: things really aren't going her way, so she has stopped caring about the consequences of her actions.

Another interesting Dany chapter. There are some very broad strokes in this chapter, I think that Dany needs a sharp lesson and a wake up call. It seems that the good work at the end of the last chapter, where she leaves the Astapori to die has been undone.

Notes from this chapter:

* Dany judges a man's worth on the way he looks and not what he can offer her. We see her engaging in a wanton sexual relationship with Daario, because he is attractive, despite knowing he is dangerous and detrimental to her cause. Yet she dismisses Quentyn, thinking of the poor boy as a frog - going so far as to shame him: 'are you enchanted?' despite the fact that he can deliver an army to her?! Then she wishes that Drinkwater was the Prince. Goodness me does this girl need a reality check. Its not very often that I'm an advocate for disfigurement but...

* The Green Grace is pissed off. I am sure that this woman is the Harpy and I wouldn't be surprised if Daario has gone missing now.

* From the earlier chapter we know that Dany should have washed Hizdar's feet at the wedding, but this was entirely reversed. I think she is on a very fine line of enraging the Meereenese. The other Ghiscari wedding tradition of note was that they were bound to each other in chains. I am surprised that Dany agreed to that aspect of the wedding.

* The bloody flux is rife in Meereen, not a surprise really considering Dany's idiotic policy on sending people out of the city to feed the infected astapori.

* In this chapter she comes across almost like a little girl: things really aren't going her way, so she has stopped caring about the consequences of her actions.

Notes from this chapter:

All true, very true, but... dragons. What I mean is: I can see fires in my fire.

I am getting really puzzled by Dany in the last few chapters. She's not thinking about her dragons at all. One of them even ran away but she was has seemingly forgotten it. I know they were getting wild and hard o control, but surely given the desperate situation she and the city are in, she should've made more of an effort to get them back under control and used them on her numerous enemies.

As someone who has become enraged with Dany's storyline since CoK, I am both delighting in this and yet totally revolted by it. Daario Naharis? What what what are you doing, Daenerys Targaryen? And meanwhile we've completely forgotten the existence of the dragons lolololol. As someone mentioned upthread, however, it is indeed true that as things stand right now, Dany is most definitely not a Mary Sue anymore.

I'm just waiting to get a POV where someone else sees her, however. What does Quentyn think? What will Tyrion think? And we must be catching up with AFfC now; what about Victarion? Will he get here, ever?

I hope I'm not reaching on this one, but I think I noticed someone special in the scene when Daario was introducing the new Westerosi Storm Crows.

When Daario brought them forward, she saw that one of them was a woman, big and blond and all in mail. “Pretty Meris,” her captain named her, though pretty was the last thing Dany would have called her. She was six feet tall and earless, with a slit nose, deep scars in both cheeks, and the coldest eyes the queen had ever seen.

Could this possibly be Brienne of Tarth!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived